DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 1-18-16

MGFanJay

I only saw the ending (working), but that was HI-LAR-IOUS. First, the crowd said "didn't you used to be Chris Jericho?" with a large amount of don't care, then the action starts and Jericho, who just got done bragging that he was gonna win the Rumble, disappears like Houdini.

Then there's the Wyatts. Just absolutely shit-on silence by the crowd after their beatdown, eventually yielding to "that's it?" boos. The WWE served up a big ol' plate of the Wyatts, and the crowd said "no thanks, we're full." Hilarious. The exact opposite reaction the WWE was going for.

But you know, with some creative announcing, it could've been kinda saved. The announcers should've pointed out that all four members of the Wyatt Family were in the Rumble, and you know they're gonna work together. Lesnar and Reigns may be supermen, but can they stop four guys?

I also saw the ad for Reigns vs. the World Dipshit Squad or whatever they're called on Smackdown. Those matches always make everyone involved come out looking stupid. When's the last time WWE has actually learned from a mistake?

• Like 2

The true big story tonight was while you have a match with Mark Henry, Titus O Neil, and R-Truth "keeping the dream live" on Martin Luther King's birthday, the pasty white guy STILL GETS THE PIN.

Jada Pinkett Smith twatted her disapproval.

• Like 1

The true big story tonight was while you have a match with Mark Henry, Titus O Neil, and R-Truth "keeping the dream live" on Martin Luther King's birthday, the pasty white guy STILL GETS THE PIN.

Jada Pinkett Smith twatted her disapproval.

How does Jada know that Neville doesn't support keeping Dr. King's dream alive? Now, if Neville came out dressed like Akeem doing all his mannerisms, I'd say she'd have some room to complain.

• Like 1

But you know, with some creative announcing, it could've been kinda saved. The announcers should've pointed out that all four members of the Wyatt Family were in the Rumble, and you know they're gonna work together. Lesnar and Reigns may be supermen, but can they stop four guys?

That's the big difference between RAW and SD now.  Ranallo would have touched on that.  Cole didn't say a word.  It wasn't a bad segment per se--but it needed some selling, and that commentary just ain't going to do it.

What tonight proved is that if they're going to use Jericho, keep him contained to an upper midcard story.  Too much Jericho is too much. His being all hammy made the opening segment drag and took attention away from a decent Reigns-Rusev match.

They really need to learn how to layout a proper show again.  Even if a segment misses its mark, I could deal with it if everything flows in rhythm within the show.  RAW is so disjointed--decent moments, but really jumbled. Nothing outright stunk, but seemed a bit ordinary.

It's definitely a far cry from the old days.

In re-reading Bret Hart's autobiography recently he said that WCW was a mess because they never planned anything out while Vince had his angles/storylines planned out months in advance.  In Daniel Bryan's autobiography, he tells the story about how he won the MITB because they had booked the guys for the match but didn't know who they wanted to win; some writers wanted Barrett but were worried it would be too similar to ADR winning the RAW MITB, others wanted Cody and some were pushing for him, so he finally won the MITB but they had no plans for him to actually cash it in.  It's weird how much their planning of angles changed so much in a decade and a half.

• Like 1

Becky vs. Ric Flair for the Diva's title is going to be an amazing match.

Wait that's not that match? Awe son of a bitch.

I missed the first half of the show. So now Roman is number one. Can't wait for the table spot on the floor to take him out so he can get a breather for like half the match. Also can't wait for the shitstorm when Triple H comes back at number 30, wins the rumble gets the biggest pop of the night and they play it up as Roman is the victim while everyone is cheering for Triple H.

Fuck Roman. H is doing it for Lemmy.

A few other things:

What's that piano music over the Mr. Robot commercials?

The Wyatts vs. The Dudleys, part 4080. Remember when the Dudzncame back and were all "we're gunning for our hundredth reign!" Well, at the least the Wyatts are in the way of that.

A mention of McMahaon's Millions?? Oh Stephanie; when you're not sucking up lifeless TV time, you're busy proving you're a stupid gash.

When anyone sees a hashtag for "Oscarsowhite," tweet them the commercial for "Fifty Shades of Black." Appropriately enough, 50 times.

I'm surprised that Mike Sharpe's death announcement didn't happen while the three assholes were in conversation aabout something (y'know, other than the match) and one says, "Oh, by the way, you guys remember Iron Mike Sharpe? Dude, he died." "Aw, no!" "I know, right?" "Was he the guy with the cast?" "No, that was Bob Orton; Mike Sharpe had the elbow pad." Fuckheads. And I was doing other things, did Bubba Ray have on a forearm brace in memory of Mike Sharpe? He tends to be all-in on shit like that whenever someone dies in wrestling.

Paige returns! ... with Natalya who she was being a bitch to when she suddenly disappeared ... from Team PCB after they broke up ... because of her ... yet she was warning Becky about Charlotte ... who Paige was right about all along ... so the breakup was really due to Charlotte ... a storyline that has continued without Paige involved ... Paige, who just returned tonight. Like, "Oh hey, Maggle, look; it's Paige."

Jesus, I do hope that Xavier Woods gets a new trombone.

• Like 1

Jericho's theatrics sending League of Nations to the back was fucking funny, I don't care what anyone says.

Funny to little babies. And perhaps, funny if he was still 27. Not as a 45 year old dude in his mid life crisis phase. Jericho is officially the creepy uncle who still goes to high school football games and buys booze for 13 year olds.

I'm 100 percent positive that Jericho playing up all the things that net fans hate about him is part of an eventual heel turn that's been planned for some time. It goes back to that finish of the six man with Ambrose and Reigns where he fucked up and lost the match. He said on his podcast that he had a long term idea and I think this is clearly it.

• Like 5