DVDVR Message Board

2016 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

CFL and Miami backup.

Matt Moore > Kaepernick
Kaep sure looked decent when he got to the Super Bowl. I think that guy is still in there.

RGIII is probably the best rookie quarterback of all time...3 years ago. He's 25, and had a pretty severe knee injury. Gruden clearly didn't want him, and didn't put him in positions that would maximize his talent. We have no idea what either of them can be going forward.

I don't think he was even the best rookie qb that year so all time is a bit extreme.

No decision today on the fate of Jim Caldwell. He apparently met with new GM Quinn for roughly 30 seconds today so not nearly enough to make a decision on his fate.

CFL and Miami backup.

Matt Moore > Kaepernick
Kaep sure looked decent when he got to the Super Bowl. I think that guy is still in there.
RGIII is probably the best rookie quarterback of all time...3 years ago. He's 25, and had a pretty severe knee injury. Gruden clearly didn't want him, and didn't put him in positions that would maximize his talent. We have no idea what either of them can be going forward.

I don't think he was even the best rookie qb that year so all time is a bit extreme.

RGIII had 27 total TDs to 5 INTs.3200 yards passing and 815 yards rushing.  He led the league in yards per pass and yards per rush.  Luck 28 total TDs 18 INTs.  4374 yards passing and 255 yards rushing.  Luck was really good, but RGIII seemed like the next evolution in the sport that year. 

Cam threw 21 TDs and ran in another 14 that season. Which is a silly number. Just doing my part as a homer.

Cam is kind of what we expected RGIII to be without the world class speed.  The thing that could have made RGIII special is that he could legit score a touchdown on any play running or passing.  He just wasn't built to take the kind of punishment that Cam can, and his body broke down before he could figure out his game. 

Cam's great, but I've never seen anything quite like that one year from RGIII. If Vick had come along later, after zone reads became a thing in the NFL, he might have been similar.

I actually honestly agree, homerism aside.

I also think it's a tad early for the past tense, he's still a young man and being off a season couldn't have hurt his body. No idea if he's worked on some of the stuff Gruden didn't like - poor footwork, feel for the offense, being a team player - but he's still got time.

Burfict suspended for the first three games of next season

Once again, a team is penalized for the refs not ejecting someone when behavior has called for it. Bad call.

Well, apparently Burfict was secretly fined $50,000 for an illegal hit in the Week 17 Ravens game, so he may have been on warning going into this weekend.

Once again, a team is penalized for the refs not ejecting someone when behavior has called for it. Bad call.

Well, apparently Burfict was secretly fined $50,000 for an illegal hit in the Week 17 Ravens game, so he may have been on warning going into this weekend.

That hit against the Ravens deserved a suspension, the Antonio Brown hit looked bad, but wasn't intentional.  The craziest part about the end of that game is that I don't think any of it happens if Ben throws a decent pass.  Brown tries to jump and reach for a pass that he couldn't catch.  If he's on the ground Burfict hits him dead in the chest with his shoulder, which is a legal hit.  Brown ends up unconscious, Burfict commits a penalty, Joey Porter comes out and antagonizes the Bengals defense, leading to Pacman getting flagged for trying to get them out of their huddle, and the Steelers win, all because Ben hung his best receiver out to dry.  That has to be the most random finish to a game of all time.  Have we figured out what Pacman got flagged for?  If that was anyone other than Pacman, would we think it was OK?  An opposing coach was in their huddle, what the hell is he supposed to do?  People are trying to say that Marvin Lewis should be fired based on that last minute of the game like there is any way a coach is supposed to prepare for that crazy circumstance.  Am I the only one who wishes that every game ended like that? 

The Joey Porter angle isn't being talked about enough due to Adam Jones's involvement.  But being objective, that was terrible.  Porter had no business on the field, let alone in Cincy's huddle.  Jones has to be smart enough not to respond, but it doesn't excuse Porter.  But once Jones bumped the referee, it was over.

Cam's great, but I've never seen anything quite like that one year from RGIII. If Vick had come along later, after zone reads became a thing in the NFL, he might have been similar.

Damn, now I'm imagining Vick running the read, and it feels like something I'd do on NCAA Football. Dude could have ran for 1500 yards in a season in college.

Good. Should've been four. If the league seriously wants to clean up the game and address the concussion issue, assholes who run around throwing dirty hits like his on AB need to sit until they learn their lesson.

• Like 1

Damn, now I'm imagining Vick running the read, and it feels like something I'd do on NCAA Football. Dude could have ran for 1500 yards in a season in college.

Think Denard Robinson but with some clue on how to throw...
  • Like 1

That game would have gone a completely different direction had Shazier not taken Gio out with the clear helmet to helmet hit. That's the facts. The blood is on Pittsburgh's hands, they are why AB is hurt.

What about the headhunting shot Burflict took on Wheaton earlier in the game?

Both RG3 and Kaep will get jobs but it will be tough for Griffin.  I think he will have to take a backup job and maybe sit for a couple of years and revamp his game.  Kaep to St Louis sounds right.  They have some talent there, maybe get him a receiver or a couple veteren receivers to help him out and I think he could thrive.  

That game would have gone a completely different direction had Shazier not taken Gio out with the clear helmet to helmet hit. That's the facts. The blood is on Pittsburgh's hands, they are why AB is hurt.

Burfict dove at Ben's knees in a clear deliberate attempt to injure in the first game between the teams this season. He got $70,000 worth of fines for fouls after the second game. Evidently he was fined $50k more after the Ravens game. He's a psychopath and trying to excuse his dirty play on anything but him being a thug is ridiculous.

• Like 1