DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2016 UPCOMING MOVIE TYPE THINGS:

RIPPA

Well, it looks like the last Divergent movie did so badly that the prospects for the last film of the series being made are very slim.  There seems to be an idea floating around to produce the last novel, Ascendant, as either a made for cable movie or a mini series on a streaming services.  However, if you are going to do that:

1) What are the chances of your big name people coming back to that sort of production and,

2) What cable television or streaming service is going to be interested in fronting for a movie franchise that has lost over half of its audience in between the two previous movies?

It may be time to let the ending for Allegiant stand alone and cut your losses while you can.  Some YA stuff dies hard though.  Look at the attempt to revive The Mortal Instruments stuff as a television series and it still isn't very well received.

I speak for all fathers when I say, please pull this off and do not force us to sit through another one of these things.

• Like 1

IMDB already lists the last one now as "TV Movie"

Again - their mistake was (as all series do now) splitting the last book into two movies and hopefully this will serve as the wakeup call and get everyone to make the same number of movies as books in a series

But yeah - even their Worldwide was down for Allegiant so the bottom dropped out on that franchise quick

19 minutes ago, J.T. said:

2) What cable television or streaming service is going to be interested in fronting for a movie franchise that has lost over half of its audience in between the two previous movies?

If Lionsgate/Summit/Red Wagon/whoever else funds these awful movies pays for the entire production, then why not pick it up? It has lost half the fanbase, but it also has a fanbase unlike some of the original programming they do have. I can see Netflix doing it just for the hell of it. You get some new subscribers (there is still a hardcore contingent out there) and have it trend on Twitter for like half a day. No harm, no foul. It's not like the streaming services are above striking a deal. If they are going after the cord cutters, they can also go after the parents who don't want to go to the theaters every year to see this dreck. It would be a smart move actually.

Honestly - I would say one of the "lesser" services needs to grab it to try and help bring eyeballs to the service as a whole.

Otherwise - for once SyFy SHOULD have programming that fits its network

Ascendant as a mini-series would be a good fit for Syfy, but they've have to give it a decent production budget. 

This thing would have to get Battlestar Galactica or The Expanse money, not Hunters money.

Even so, I still don't think it would do well.  People seem to think that the movies are poor translations of the books, but my kid hates the novels and says that they are boring.  She thought the Hunger Games books were okay, but she really likes The 5th Wave series.

She is actually moving on from YA Dystopia to legit Speculative Fiction (Sci-Fi must not be politically correct, I guess).  She wants to nab Starship Troopers and my Ringworld books, but I don't think she's ready for those yet so I loaned out my Stainless Steel Rat books to start her off since they are fairly light yet still in the genre.  I will loan her Troopers when she is in high school.

HA!

I love that you think she isn't already familiar with the things in Starship Troopers already.

Honestly - my wife and I pretty much let the boy read what he wants since he is at such a high level. We just explain all the concepts with him so he understands better. 

It also helps he generally tends to have no desire to watch movie adaptations.

Of course - I literally just typed that and remembered that he asked me to get Eragon from the library because he read all the books and didn't realize there was a movie.

God Dammit

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

HA!

I love that you think she isn't already familiar with the things in Starship Troopers already.

I'm good with her reading about war and the like. 

It is the alleged crypto-fascist elements that will take me days to explain. 

Most likely she will end up skipping my Space Opera stuff in favor of Cyberpunk or Hard SF.  She likes her SF a bit more grounded. 

She burned through Neuromancer and Mona Lisa Overdrive in five days (yet another Molly Millions girl power convert) and she's been eyeing my Expanse novels now after binge watching the series on demand a few weekends ago... 

I think she may be disappointed with Leviathan Wakes because it is a bit more space opera-y than the television show is.

I also think she stole my paperback copy of Snow Crash.  I can only find my hardback copy in my almost kinda sorta man cave downstairs.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Usher is fucking Sugar Ray Leonard

I am done

Hey, at least he got the role.   For a while there, I thought only Chadwick Boseman was allowed to play all famous black men of sport, history, or entertainment.

Now that I think about it, I'd rather see Boseman play Sugar Ray.

Usher does facially look a bit more like Leonard than Boseman does, but at the same time Boseman seems tough in a way that Usher doesn't. Having said that, from Duran's point of view, Leonard would be a dancing pretty boy who doesn't stand a chance in a real fight, so casting someone who you don't buy as a tough guy fits pretty well.

Hopefully Hands of Stone makes a shitload of money, so we get sequels called Motor City Cobra and Marvellous Marvin.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 9:31 AM, RIPPA said:

Fuck.  I still hate this trailer, but if Tony Jaa and Donnie Yen have a fight scene in this, I may have to spend matinee money to see those two beat the shit out of each other.