DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

I love David Tenant so I've quite happy to see him returning as a phantom in her head.  I would prefer he not be brought back to life, but can accept it if it's done right.

And I loved the last episode of Agents of Shield, some pretty big developments that have me interested in where they go from here in a few weeks.

I like how Daisy went from some hacker Shield brought in to the person Caulson wants to take over when he dies.  Not sure how he got what's going on with his chest but that was rather unexpected.  Also curious about what kind of world they returned to.  It appears to be the same timeline but they look to be up a creek without a paddle.

And does anybody actually believe that Mack, Elena and Simmons didn't make it back when they were running to the crew?  It'd be stupid to kill them all off so to me it seemed like a pointless cliffhanger.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I only recently signed up for Hulu, and will be canceling it before I have to pay for it...

I must have been the only person who felt like Runaways was too decompressed. Those kids are gonna age fast. I can picture Gregg Sulkin with a receding hairline and a beer gut slurring about the Fistigons a little too well. And while I need to get around to reading the comics the rest of the way through, Jonah was just bloody lame. Or maybe it was just the Lite Brite-quality CGI to how they portrayed him. There are things about the show that work, but I don't know if they're "pay for Hulu for a month" good. 

I felt like Legion dropped the ball a little bit, too, though it's harder to put my finger on why. Maybe because I was expecting the whole time that 

Spoiler

every goddamned character on the show is just another one of his personalities, instead of the boring, trope-y "ragtag bunch who have to put their differences aside and work together" sludge that infests every comic book show ever.

That said, the pilot was a wonderful Lynchian fever dream and Aubrey Plaza is Number One and the Best.

20 hours ago, Eivion said:

Is that what they are leading to? I've never really their comics so I know little about them.

Spoiler

Might not be the Thunderbolts, but it’s the MCU’s first all supervillain team. Looks like they’re bringing back every villain they’ve had on the show for a Masters of Evil/Thunderbolts/whatever type of team. Confused as to why Hive is one of them, but hey, time travel and shit, amirite.

I also didn’t know Yo-Yo was in the comics, and it looks like they’re going with her comic appearance, so that’s cool.

Dove Cameron’s character was a surprise, too.

1 hour ago, Casey said:
  Hide contents

Might not be the Thunderbolts, but it’s the MCU’s first all supervillain team. Looks like they’re bringing back every villain they’ve had on the show for a Masters of Evil/Thunderbolts/whatever type of team. Confused as to why Hive is one of them, but hey, time travel and shit, amirite.

I also didn’t know Yo-Yo was in the comics, and it looks like they’re going with her comic appearance, so that’s cool.

Dove Cameron’s character was a surprise, too.

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure the stuff for next with Hive and others is just a mind screw. That is only happening because its the 100th episode. I mean a team of some sort is forming, but it certainly isn't going to have Hive.

Yo-Yo was the only other Secret Warriors character to show up aside from Daisy. Its one of the reasons that particular story line was disappointing for some fans.

On 3/5/2018 at 12:44 AM, Eivion said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm pretty sure the stuff for next with Hive and others is just a mind screw. That is only happening because its the 100th episode. I mean a team of some sort is forming, but it certainly isn't going to have Hive.

Yo-Yo was the only other Secret Warriors character to show up aside from Daisy. Its one of the reasons that particular story line was disappointing for some fans.

QFFT.

Well, technically whats-his-face was Hellfire, too, but it's not like he was ever anything other than a side character.

If VileOne doesn’t like something I’m pretty much guaranteed to love it. I think I’m on the fourth or fifth episode right now, and it’s still a better show than Daredevil, so, y’know, whatever.

I only made it through episode 4 of JJ S2, and I'm digging the morally gray character development so far. But there was a part of me that was thinking, "You know, this really needs a knock-down drag-out right about now" and WHAM out of left field, there it is. Interested to catch the rest this weekend.

Just finished season 2 of Jessica Jones and I enjoyed it. I do think it could have been shortened by an episode or two but I've felt that way about all of the Marvel Netflix shows except for Defenders. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Casey said:

If VileOne doesn’t like something I’m pretty much guaranteed to love it. I think I’m on the fourth or fifth episode right now, and it’s still a better show than Daredevil, so, y’know, whatever.

Happy to be of help. 

• Haha 1

Just finished up JJ S2. Its not as good as first, but I enjoyed it. I think it might actually be paced just a pinch better. Its interesting how much they had Trish fall. She went through a massive character assassination yet it doesn't really feel out of whack since the signs were kind of there already there, just not so extreme before. It does feel like it moves a step forward with Jessica by the end even with how much of her life is torpedoed. The Foggy cameo felt kind of pointless. The stuff with Jeri wasn't bad though I wish we got some mention of her relationship with Danny. I do kind of like that this didn't have a big dramatic confrontation like most of the MCU series do since the villain was a bit different from the norm.

• Like 1

I agree it was total character assassination and while you really did see the signs that this was coming, it felt very clumsy and rather than "tragic" it really just made her come off completely unsympathetic.  It was unfortunate because Eivion, I agree with you, it was nice it didn't have a "big bad" in the traditional sense, the villain was VERY out of the box thinking and Jessica's emotional arc was pretty brutal, but left you seeing that she had turned a corner.  

JJ Season 1 was my favorite of the Netflix shows so far, so I had high hopes and they were all met, but the Trish arc really took me out of some episodes.

Also:

Spoiler

I really thought the actress who played JJ's mother was phenomenal.  You were NEVER going to replace Kilgrave, so going with a "villain" that had the emotional gravitas that they did was pretty ballsy, especially given how that all ended.

The Kilgrave episode was fantastic and made me miss his grimy, dirty villain that much more

• Like 1

I agree that Trish's fall wasn't tragic, but it didn't seem like it was supposed to be.

Spoiler

She was clearly crazy, and it wasn't the drug issues coming back into play. It was her obsession with wanting be special. Her wanting to help people was always a bs excuse for all of her actions.