DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

Early thoughts on the Runaways.... IT'S! REALLY! FUCKING! GOOD!

I'm almost jumping up and down at almost 4 AM in the morning because my favorite comic ever got a TV show that fucking gets it. It cast perfectly, it's a great teen superhero esqe story so far mixed with a great teen drama.

I'm over the god damned moon right now.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Early thoughts on the Runaways.... IT'S! REALLY! FUCKING! GOOD!

I'm almost jumping up and down at almost 4 AM in the morning because my favorite comic ever got a TV show that fucking gets it. It cast perfectly, it's a great teen superhero esqe story so far mixed with a great teen drama.

I'm over the god damned moon right now.

Glad it's so good for you. It sucks when it doesn't happen.

Okay... Okay, some actual thoughts. Will spoiler till anyone else catches up since I am betting nobody else watched this at 3 in the morning.

Holy Shit Holy Shit Holy Shit So much stuff I love.

All the props in the world for the casting calls. I'm not sure how much more they could have possibly nailed the characters. Nico in particular could just not be more spot on.

I like how they are going about the main story and the changes they made. There clearly HAD to be changes. And I like the main story progression.

I also love how they shift just slightly from things you expect. For instance, Molly figuring out her super strength immediately instead of just going "huh, that's weird" and being overjoyed about it.

But my main takeaway... The god damned Pride man! Holy Shit the Pride are some of the best bad guys I've seen in a while. They all feel unique and have there own motivations and I love them! I expected to love the Runaways cast, and I do. I didn't expect for me to really grasp onto the Pride too.

I went from "it exists, so I'm happy" to "Well this could be pretty good, so awesome!" and now I'm on to "Holy Shit this is better then I could have hoped." And I can't possibly express how thrilled I am.

• Like 2

Re: Runaways ep 1:

Making the introduction to Molly about menstruation and aging her to match the rest of them (more or less) is the weirdest creative decision imaginable. (I get why to do it: in as it's important to have them all at the same school and she was slightly older in the initial pitch but man, very weird).

I half remembered this once I looked up that she was 11 and not 9. I haven’t read these things since they first came out.  That said, I think there was a tendency to write her even younger as the series went on and as she was used in other places. 

Honestly, yeah, that tended to be a big problem with Molly. I actually really liked the change to make her a little older for the TV show, because A. The actress is gonna get older if you get multiple seasons (Please give me multiple seasons) and B: It means they can't just use super cheap jokes constantly about her age.

Finished up with Netflix's The Punisher last night.  Jon Berenthal carried that series on his shoulders the entire way. 

Villain wise:

Spoiler

I'm not sure how I feel about the Blackwater version of Jigsaw, but I can see the need to make Jigsaw as skilled of a combatant as Castle is hopefully not as goofy as his crime boss incarnation.

Next season could definitely stand to feel a bit more pulpy.  Less talking, more bullets.

I'm guessing that since Marvel Netflix despises super powers, we'll get more villains like Barracuda, Bushwhacker The Russian,  and the Gnucci crime family.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:25 AM, Matt D said:

I half remembered this once I looked up that she was 11 and not 9. I haven’t read these things since they first came out.  That said, I think there was a tendency to write her even younger as the series went on and as she was used in other places. 

What El Dragon said.  When the showrunners first started talking about the series, they mentioned that they wanted to keep the kids as close to the same age as possible.

I would just like to say Episode 4 of Runaways did nothing to push me away from my opinion that they fucking nailed this show. It has it's flaws, but the shit it does right is just perfect for me. From the effects being just silly good for a TV show, to the casting still being almost flawless to me,  to the music, to the humor which got me to burst out laughing at multiple points, and just the way they interpret people who realize they are incredibly special by being fucking euphoric about it. I love this show. So Fucking Much.

So I finally watched the first two episodes of Runaways @El Dragon

There are things I could quibble about (Molly's age, Molly being adopted, how much closer the kids apparently were at one point) but holy hell so much of it is on point I don't even know how to react.

I'm all in like Bullet Club.

• Like 2

AOut of all the impressive things about this show, the one that might be most impressive to me is just how fucking good Old Lace and Karolina look. That was something I was expecting to be mediocre and was okay with, but holy shit.

Also, so so so much credit to them for realizing that Jurassic Parking it was the way to go with the Puppet. CG when needed, but the actual physical interaction with the Puppet has been outstanding.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

OLD LACE!!!!!!!! 

Also, James Marsters is still the absolute best actor at changing register on a dime. The scene with Chase was jaw dropping great work.

I loved that scene so much for how clearly they made what was a complex moment feel. The prototype he doesn't give a shit about. He can make this much better then Chase can. It's the fact his son has this amazing idea he cares about. You can sense he's never felt closer to Chase then in that one moment. Such a fucking brilliant scene.

9 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I loved that scene so much for how clearly they made what was a complex moment feel. The prototype he doesn't give a shit about. He can make this much better then Chase can. It's the fact his son has this amazing idea he cares about. You can sense he's never felt closer to Chase then in that one moment. Such a fucking brilliant scene.

It really was fantastic. Well written and beautifully acted. Marsters was great the whole episode, but he really just nailed that moment of surprised excitement and passion. Really though the whole cast has been good (and a lot of them look extraordinarily like Alphona's designs)

Gert wanting to trust her parents is a really odd change.

39 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It really was fantastic. Well written and beautifully acted. Marsters was great the whole episode, but he really just nailed that moment of surprised excitement and passion. Really though the whole cast has been good (and a lot of them look extraordinarily like Alphona's designs)

Gert wanting to trust her parents is a really odd change.

I don't mind the change because of 2 reasons. First is that Nico and Chase have significantly larger reasons not to trust there parents then Gert. Second is, well, the Yorkes don't seem like bad people. Even super suspicious people wouldn't assume they are up to something really shady, let alone this level.

I don't have Hulu, so no Runaways talk from me. But Agents of SHIELD was last night and... it's pretty fucking good.

Spoiler

90 years into the future, Earth is blown in half because of something pretty vague that's called a "cataclysmic event" (that's probably the Infinity War, in an alternate timeline where Thanos destroys Earth). The Kree are heavily involved this season - they saved humans from the torn apart Earth and took them into space, where they "survive" and sometimes are used as experiments. 

I suspect it'll connect to the movie closer to it's release date - episode 100 is a month or two before Infinity War releases. And it's notable that they've really stepped up their game on CGI. Like, it doesn't look out of place at all.

• Like 2

I like the first four episodes of Runaways, and I dug AoS S5 opening.

On 11/25/2017 at 10:19 AM, Mickie Zeidler said:

Yeah, Molly's been reduced in age to Power Pack levels.

It still annoys me that everyone in PP is still Pre-Tween, except Julie, who's running around as a fantasy bi-sexual dream girl.

Last I checked Alex definitely wasn't a pre-teen during Hickman's FF.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

I don't have Hulu, so no Runaways talk from me. But Agents of SHIELD was last night and... it's pretty fucking good.

Hide contents

90 years into the future, Earth is blown in half because of something pretty vague that's called a "cataclysmic event" (that's probably the Infinity War, in an alternate timeline where Thanos destroys Earth). The Kree are heavily involved this season - they saved humans from the torn apart Earth and took them into space, where they "survive" and sometimes are used as experiments. 

I suspect it'll connect to the movie closer to it's release date - episode 100 is a month or two before Infinity War releases. And it's notable that they've really stepped up their game on CGI. Like, it doesn't look out of place at all.

Spoiler

It feels like Thanos and Infinity War would be the perfect reason behind it, but with the setup they used and it being something SHIELD should be able to stop I can't see it being that. They are hinting Daisy is the cause.

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I like the first four episodes of Runaways, and I dug AoS S5 opening.

Last I checked Alex definitely wasn't a pre-teen during Hickman's FF.

Hide contents

It feels like Thanos and Infinity War would be the perfect reason behind it, but with the setup they used and it being something SHIELD should be able to stop I can't see it being that. They are hinting Daisy is the cause.

Spoiler

Not much hinting to it, Deek or whatever his name is pretty much told her straight up she caused it.

sounds like a red herring to me.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Not much hinting to it, Deek or whatever his name is pretty much told her straight up she caused it.

sounds like a red herring to me.

Spoiler

I think it will end up only being a partial red herring. Its been so long it makes sense that Deek wouldn't actually have the full story.

57 minutes ago, Eivion said:
  Hide contents

I think it will end up only being a partial red herring. Its been so long it makes sense that Deek wouldn't actually have the full story.

Spoiler

It’s entirely possible that Quake tried to help during the Infinity War and somehow ended up “overheating” or whatever and then imploded. Or she did a suicide attack. It’s a good way to reference what’s coming in the MCU but not actually have the AoS team appear due to time travel and “fixing the timeline” or something.

Spoiler

Its possible, but I just can't see them linking up to Infinity War with the move and tv divisions no longer really communicating with each other. I think the show will just find a way to keep the team busy while Thanos is attacking.

On 11/25/2017 at 8:19 AM, Mickie Zeidler said:

Yeah, Molly's been reduced in age to Power Pack levels.

It still annoys me that everyone in PP is still Pre-Tween, except Julie, who's running around as a fantasy bi-sexual dream girl.

Those are the PP minis, which aren't canon. Katie (and Jack, but he's not seen) are teens, based on Katie in the one-shot. Alex graduated high school and got perfect SATs before joining the FF.

Of course, what fucks that up is Franklin being 8-10 for decades.