DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

Oddly gimmick heavy card for the 12/18 Osaka show:

Syuri vs Waka Tsukiyama, Lady C and Mai Sakurai, Gauntlet match, 1/15. Syuri will have 3 singles matches regardless of the result.

10 Million Yen Unit Tournament:
* STARS (Mayu Iwatani, Hazuki and Koguma)
* CA (Tam Nakano, Mina Shirakawa and Unagi Sayaka)
* DDM (Maika, Himeka and Natsupoi)
* Marvelous (Takumi Iroha, Rin Kadokura and Maria)
    * DDM vs Marvelous, Artist of STARDOM Championship
    * STARS vs CA
    * Elimination Ladder match between the winners of the previous two matches, Artist of STARDOM Championship, 30 minute time limit

QQ (Momo Watanabe, AZM, Saya Kamitani and Utami Hayashishita) vs OT (Starlight Kid, Ruaka, Saki Kashima and Konami), Captain's Fall match, 30 minute time limit. QQ captain - Momo, OT captain - SLK, the one captain that gets pinned goes to the other one's faction. If QQ wins, SLK has to unmask.

Honestly the stips killed much of my interest. They make it obvious Oedo Tai is winning. Kid won't wear the mask her entire career, but she also won't lose it in a quickly put together feud and non singles match.

Edited by Eivion

19 minutes ago, D.Z said:

In other news, Honori Hana will retire after contracting the coronavirus.

Saw this on reddit. Its a shame to hear though I'm kind of surprised it took this long for there to be a retirement due to covid's long term damage.

I don't know if there's really that many opportunities out there for deathmatches for Sera and Suzuki, not enough to justify leaving Ice Ribbon.  Suzu is way too talented to go that route.

Also in other news, Mio Momono from Marvelous is having back surgery and will be out for a while.  It really has been an unlucky year for Marvelous.

That reminds me that I saw on the Stardom reddit that Hibiki is either retiring or going hiatus.

47 minutes ago, nofuture said:

I don't know if there's really that many opportunities out there for deathmatches for Sera and Suzuki, not enough to justify leaving Ice Ribbon.  Suzu is way too talented to go that route.

I recall Takagi mentioning wanting to start a deathmatch promotion and more traditional joshi promotion. Maybe they head towards the Cyber Agent sphere and work TJPW until one of those promotions occur.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

All three are fairly big losses. Both Risa and Suzu are big into death matches, though, so I'm not terribly surprised to see them go that route if that's their plans. I absolutely would not be surprised if Maya Yukihi gets recruited heavily by Stardom or Tokyo Joshi Pro.

Risa had planned on retiring when she turned 30 (which was just a couple of weeks ago), so she walked that back.

Ice Ribbon is really freelancer-friendly, so this could easily just be a change in contract status to where they're not on regular shows anymore, like at the dojo. It's a blow for regular watching, but if they come back for bigger shows then I can live with it.

Apparently Ice Ribbon is going to be making an announcement later today and the 3 named so far aren't the only ones leaving the promotion.  Attendance has been pretty bad for them lately (their big show at Ota Ward only drew 500 people) so hopefully this isn't something worse going on with Ice Ribbon.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Attendance has been bad industry-wide thanks to the pandemic, so I don't think that would be a metric to base anything on. You'd have to factor in things like Nicopro subscriptions and per-event streaming revenue, and nobody really knows what anyone's making there.

My best guess is that this is a company restructure, and that rather than keep wrestlers under contract and book them out to other companies (which if I'm not mistaken is the current Ice Ribbon model), they're letting those who want to handle their own bookings out to go freelance. That would certainly make sense for Risa and Suzu, who enjoy the deathmatch route. If I had to guess another potential move to freelance, I'd say Akane Fujita might be one that would consider such a move, considering how frequently she freelances.

That said, it's a downer for sure, but unless they outright announce a closure, I'm willing to give them some leeway to see what comes next. After all, Suzu Suzuki may be pretty dang good, but it's not like Ibuki Hoshi, Nao Ishikawa, or Yuki Mashiro are chopped liver. Suzu leaving/going freelance will give all three of them a chance to shine, if they can stay healthy.

Edited by Stefanie the Human

1 minute ago, D.Z said:

Risa Sera, Suzu Suzuki, Kurumi Hiiragi, Mochi Miyagi, Akane Fujita forming new promotion... "Prominence" . Deathmatch & Hardcore promotion.

Man, that's just weird.