DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

The rule change they did with wrestlers like Syuri and Giulia being able to defend against natives was fine. Until the omicron variant it felt like we were getting closer to gaijin likely popping up again. Honestly, I think the issues with the title are the same from even before the pandemic where they never did find the enough promotions to partner with and didn't need what is effectively a second world title running around alongside the first so often.

I'm kind of hoping the winner forms a double crown.

2 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Nanae Takahashi is leaving SEAdLINNNG? 12.29 In K Hall is supposedly her last show with that group. So the promotion roster will go down to 3 wrestlers only next year.

Doesn't she own SEAdLINNNG?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DEAN said:

Doesn't she own SEAdLINNNG?

8 hours ago, D.Z said:

Yeah, but this weeks ShuPro will have more info.

She is founder like she was in Stardom, but I don't think she is the actual owner. I recall something about SEAdLINNNG and Diana being owned by the same parent company. its why Sareee/Sarray was transferred to the former for a bit.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eivion said:

She is founder like she was in Stardom, but I don't think she is the actual owner. I recall something about SEAdLINNNG and Diana being owned by the same parent company. its why Sareee/Sarray was transferred to the former for a bit.

Yea that part has always been a little.... vague? It was "her" promotion and she was the face of it, but I don't think she is the money behind it. I'm a little surprised the promotion will continue without her only because she is such a big part of it and their roster would be pretty tiny without her, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Eivion said:

They can go faster though that might be more for when they wrestle AZM. I'm pretty sure she is similar to Io where she kind of slows down for basically everyone she wrestles, even in High Speed matches.

So Natsupoi was a gymnast, right?

When Utami debuted I was one of the first on the bandwagon as I thought she showed a lot of ability from the start (it didn't hurt they presented her as special from the jump either), but I'm not sure I would have guessed she'd be the face of Stardom after three years. She's incredible.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

When Utami debuted I was one of the first on the bandwagon as I thought she showed a lot of ability from the start (it didn't hurt they presented her as special from the jump either), but I'm not sure I would have guessed she'd be the face of Stardom after three years. She's incredible.

She is Sting in 1988.

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Seriously? I mean she went to the finals of GP her first year and was holding 3-4 titles at once. If anything its almost surprising it only took 3 years for her to become the face.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Seriously? I mean she went to the finals of GP her first year and was holding 3-4 titles at once. If anything its almost surprising it only took 3 years for her to become the face.

Yea, seriously. Just because a promotion *wants* to promote a wrestler hard doesn't mean they will become one of the best female wrestlers in the world, those things don't always line up for promotions like that. They gave her the chance but she still had to put in the work to make it happen, not just in-ring but with her look, confidence, etc. which is never a sure thing.

10 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yea, seriously. Just because a promotion *wants* to promote a wrestler hard doesn't mean they will become one of the best female wrestlers in the world, those things don't always line up for promotions like that. They gave her the chance but she still had to put in the work to make it happen, not just in-ring but with her look, confidence, etc. which is never a sure thing.

I think she is pretty far off from one the best even in Stardom, let alone the world. Beyond that I feel like Utami hasn't really evolved all that much presentation or even confidence wise. She has basically been on the exact path Ogawa set up for her and never really stumbled off of it in terms of her push. 

Edited by Eivion

Just now, Eivion said:

I think she is pretty far off from one the best even in Stardom, let alone the world. Beyond that I feel like Utami hasn't really evolved all too presentation or even confidence wise. She has basically been on the exact path Ogawa set up for her and never really stumbled off of it in terms of her push. 

That's, like, your opinion man. I've seen big strides in three years and most consider her as having one of the best Joshi matches of 2021. Her presentation and confidence is notably different now than three years ago. I know a lot of older, crankier Joshi fans were salty with her push over legends like Jungle Kyona and Momo but Utami has proven that Stardom was right and she deserved it. They never had to stumble as she showed it was the right choice, they were right to keep going with it.

• Like 1