DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

Risa Sera, Suzu Suzuki, Kurumi Hiiragi, Mochi Miyagi, Akane Fujita forming new promotion... "Prominence" . Deathmatch & Hardcore promotion.

So they left to form a Women's deathmatch promotion. This kind of interesting. This is a first of its kind, is it not?

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

This isn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

This, to me, reads like Ice Ribbon wanted to stop with deathmatches (after all, they can be a turnoff, especially considering Ice Ribbon's reputation for a light-hearted atmosphere), and the group that's leaving wanted to continue doing them, and this is the solution.

It seems like they're all open to doing shows with Ice Ribbon in future, but that deathmatches are their priority, so really, it seems like they're going out and chasing their happiness. Good for them. As long as they're happy, that's what counts. I just hope they remain healthy and don't do anything over the top.

That said, I'm utterly baffled as to how Mochi Miyagi is involved. She never struck me as someone who was interested in deathmatches. She was also my favorite in Ice Ribbon, so now I need a new favorite. I suppose it's time to embrace being Totoro Satsuki's #1 fangirl!

I'm also glad to see Maya Yukihi is saying that she'll remain involved as a freelancer. If anything, it just means Rebel x Enemy will make more sense as a unit, because that was the unit with all of the freelancers. Now it's being led by a freelancer!

Also, Chiharu being announced as the returning wrestle circle coach is nice. Just because I like Chiharu and I like seeing her being involved.

But yeah, like I said, this could have been way worse. It's going to sting short term but I think long term, without having to wedge in deathmatches to help Risa or Suzu scratch their itch, it will be helpful. I guess I just wonder if this means the end of Rina Yamashita in Ice Ribbon (and I also wonder if it means the end of the FantastICE title, which seems like it was created solely to be a deathmatch title).

Edited by Stefanie the Human

I don't see prominence lasting long. Deathmatch feds are a niche market. Joshi is a niche market. Deathmatch Joshi wrestling is so niche its practically a novelty act. Of  the names listed I only recognize Akane Fujita (I don't really follow Ice Ribbon). Do any of them have a Kudo level of Charisma to draw a decent number of fans?

James

44 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I don't see prominence lasting long. Deathmatch feds are a niche market. Joshi is a niche market. Deathmatch Joshi wrestling is so niche its practically a novelty act. Of  the names listed I only recognize Akane Fujita (I don't really follow Ice Ribbon). Do any of them have a Kudo level of Charisma to draw a decent number of fans?

James

While I don't think comparing anyone to Kudo is fair, and necessarily required for a promotion for work, Suzu definitely has a solid fan base and Risa is a respected veteran. My assumption, just based on past situations, is that their promotion won't be one that runs every weekend or twice a month, but rather a 'once a month' type promotion at the most. The rest of the time they were bop around to different promotions as Freelancers, wrestling as a faction of sorts to keep their schedule full.

I am also assuming that this is at least partly a money situation. Ice Ribbon hasn't been drawing as well lately and we have no record of how many PPVs they sell. This doesn't seem to be an angry split as Ice Ribbon is open to them all still wrestling there. This will allow the wrestlers to control their own schedule while still probably being on the bigger Ice Ribbon events as needed, so minimal risk.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

While I don't think comparing anyone to Kudo is fair, and necessarily required for a promotion for work, Suzu definitely has a solid fan base and Risa is a respected veteran. My assumption, just based on past situations, is that their promotion won't be one that runs every weekend or twice a month, but rather a 'once a month' type promotion at the most. The rest of the time they were bop around to different promotions as Freelancers, wrestling as a faction of sorts to keep their schedule full.

So basically a joshi FREEDOMS/Apache Army?

Edited by Eivion

14 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So basically a joshi FREEDOMS/Apache Army?

if I had to guess, yes. I could be wrong but I don't see a place in the current COVID-restricted landscape for even a semi-full time new Joshi promotion so if I were them that would be the sensible thing to do. Monthly events in their vision and otherwise stopping by Ice Ribbon/SEAdLINNNG/GLEAT etc. to keep their exposure up and fill out their schedule.

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

if I had to guess, yes. I could be wrong but I don't see a place in the current COVID-restricted landscape for even a semi-full time new Joshi promotion so if I were them that would be the sensible thing to do. Monthly events in their vision and otherwise stopping by Ice Ribbon/SEAdLINNNG/GLEAT etc. to keep their exposure up and fill out their schedule.

This was my guess as well last night. I'm curious though if they use this as a chance to now work promotions Ice Ribbon didn't work with much.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, Eivion said:

This was my guess as well last night. I'm curious though if they use this as a chance to now work promotions Ice Ribbon didn't work with much.

I'd be genuinely curious as to who that'd be. I think the most likely situation is that they just end up linking up with FMW-E regularly, since Onita is really fond of Suzu (I think he called her his "heir" or something like that).

I often think that when wrestlers go free that means that they want to show up to wrestle, but no longer want to go to the dojo every day.

Yukihi is on every OZ Academy show. I imagine that she will still have that. Does anyone know if OZ is in trouble? Only 2 or 3 shows were on GAORA this year. Do they make more with streaming?

If Momo ends up in OTthen Utami retaining is the only thing that makes sense to me in order to build her for a red belt challenge and pisdibly be transitional champ to Giulia when she comes back

James

8 hours ago, J.H. said:

If Momo ends up in OTthen Utami retaining is the only thing that makes sense to me in order to build her for a red belt challenge and pisdibly be transitional champ to Giulia when she comes back

James

I am a big fan of Momo, but I am not feeling this OT angle at all. I would hate to see her Red Belt moment wrapped up in that and then as a paper champ for Giulia. Honestly I did have Giulia as a lock for the Red Belt when she dropped the White Belt to Tam, but Syuri has more than earned her moment since then. I hope they are willing to wait for the Giulia reign. Time will tell.

5 hours ago, nofuture said:

Meltzer reported that the original plans for the Sumo Hall show was Utami beating Giulia, then facing Syuri next.  Take that for what it's worth.

Going to guess this is wrong. I don't think they planned to wait that long for the Syuri/Utami rematch seeing how they were building it up even during the GP, and it seems obvious the planned GP final was Giulia/Syuri. 

On 12/2/2021 at 8:47 PM, quackhell said:

I think they have to pull the trigger on a Syuri Red Belt win. I just don't see Tam losing the White Belt without more of a build up and Kamitani remains a bridesmaid.

On 12/2/2021 at 9:07 PM, nofuture said:

It just seems odd they'd do a second Saya White belt match so soon if she weren't winning it.  I'd think they'd put Himeka in this match if she were retaining.  Someone is losing their title on the 29th, but I don't think both will. 

I think both belts are changing hands.

Tam has had the white belt for as long as Giulia and made as many defenses. Tam's run has been good, but she probably isn't someone they are banking the future on so I can't see them wanting her to hold it much longer. It makes no sense to have Saya rechallenge now if she is losing. Besides there isn't a natural person to beat Tam right now otherwise unless they decide to push Himeka as a singles if she leaves DDM.

Utami has held the belt over a year and made plenty of defenses. She isn't quite ace, but she has been solidified high up so there isn't much reason for her to hold the belt any longer unless they decide to give Momo the belt. Beyond that now is basically the best time for Syuri to win. I think they will lose something with her if they wait any longer.

Konami going on hiatus makes me wonder of that is maybe the reason for Momo being pushed towards Oedo Tai. Generally they want a few strong wrestlers in every stable and Oedo Tai would be lacking with just Kid.

• Like 1

Konami's contract will expire next year and she can take time off to heal. If she does return, she will be freelance.

Waka and Koguma officially joined Stardom. Waka has fluent english, said to be better than Mina at English. Well American english that is.

Edited by D.Z

On 12/4/2021 at 8:06 AM, D.Z said:

Konami's contract will expire next year and she can take time off to heal. If she does return, she will be freelance.

Waka and Koguma officially joined Stardom. Waka has fluent english, said to be better than Mina at English. Well American english that is.

Her English is very good. I don't think she's fluent but she has little accent and sounds like a 1930s American woman. It's great. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

Her English is very good. I don't think she's fluent but she has little accent and sounds like a 1930s American woman. It's great. 

I thought Waka was fluent. She sounds better than Mina and was born in New York. Did she not spend any time growing up in the US when she was young?