DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

Jesus, these fucking letter scraps.  If you want to find them all, you definitely have to cheat.

There is one on the roof of the restaurant made to look like The Encounter at LAX.  There are no ladders so you have to fly a helicopter to the location so there is no way you would find it in the normal course of city exploration. 

I spent two hours looking and nearly died twice discovering that you can steal the medivac helicopter from the roof of the hospital near Franklin's safehouse without drawing police attention.  You can tell the difference in skill when Michael flies a helicopter as opposed to Trevor flying one.  I am surprised Michael didn't die after either one of the partial crash landings it took to get to the letter scrap and then get off of the roof of the restaurant.  I am also shocked that I got no warning levels for forcing the chopper down in the parking area.

Another of the letter scraps is on the back porch of a house on Grove Avenue in Balla territory.. 

I went looking for it..... as Michael...... at two o'clock in the morning....  with at least a dozen guys in purple hanging out in the cul-de-sac.

Thank God that Mike has a high Stealth score.

I have collected ten scraps so far.  I figure that since Michael is big on Classic Vinewood, the honor of finally solving Lenora Johnson's murder should go to him.

You can find CJ's house on Grove Street.  Some people have said you can also find some of the old GSF characters in the area but I never saw any.

I don't think the Ballas will mess with Trevor or Michael, but they will talk shit to Franklin.

The hospital helicopters will spawn in multiplayer also.  They come in pretty handy if you don't want to pay for Merryweather to deliver one or deal with trying to get one from the airport.

I wasn't really feeling the game last night, I just half-heartedly did some missions to get to level 40.  It was kind of fun being the senior man helping out the low level kids, but man those payoffs on early missions are shit.  I definitely lost money.  I did do a couple of the new races (terribly) with Ax Blood and Cristobal, and Ax Blood got a world record in one of them.  Congrats!

All of the Ballas went hostile when Michael got out of his car.  I bailed over a fence near the house with the letter scrap and went into Stealth Mode.  

They looked around for me for a bit, but eventually lost interest and went back to standing on the corner and I doubled back to collect the letter scrap.

I will have to go back as Trevor to see if I can find CJ's house.  That would be sweet!

I don't think it matters how you dress Franklin.  If you are in Ballas territory they are going to mess with him if he gets close.  At least it's not as bad as SA where they had some sort of radar and would start firing at CJ from 3 blocks away.

It's always an automatic 3 stars for robbing an armored car. 

Can you dress franklin in other gang colors?

--

I know your wanted level increases as you rob more stores, but is that also true for armored cars? I robbed one last night and got an immediate 3 star warning.

I have not seen any clothing for the LS Boars, but I think there are some LS Panic stuff available at Bincos and Sub-urban.

Even so, if Franklin flies Ballaz flags, the Ballaz will not be tricked.  My wardrobe for Franklin is mostly made up of LS Feud clothing and I think i have bought every available sneaker, athletic shoe, or skate shoe with green laces.

I haven't gotten above a three star wanted level by hitting armored cars but the payout never gets higher than $7K or so.

Where do these clods get tanks? Do they buy them? Steal them? Can you put them in your garage? I was building up a head of steam going after a griefer last night - had put a bounty on him so he'd be a different color on the map, had turned off my blip on the map - and I had my car up to about 2000 mph and was in full ram mode when I discovered dude was driving a tank. I had two guys in tanks after me to the point the other night where all I could do was leave the server. I couldn't even put it in "safe mode" 'cause I didn't have any cash on hand and making a bank withdrawal wasn't happening with two tanks chasing me around.

I'd gotten shot by the cops as part of that whole ramming the tank fiasco and had my Sedan impounded. I went back to my garage to grab my motorcycle to go get the Sedan, but as you know, you can't do that. So I left the apartment - I couldn't even exit out of the garage on foot, had to go through the apartment - stole a car, and headed to the impound yard, where the Sedan was now my motorcycle. So, screw it, steal the motorcycle, drive back to the garage, where I now have two motorcycles and the sedan. I was scared to sell one of the motorcycles for fear it would poof both out of existence. I quit and went back into the game and all was back to normal.

Where do these clods get tanks? Do they buy them? Steal them? Can you put them in your garage?

You can try to steal them, but you're likely to get your tank blasted by the other tanks before you escape. You can't put them in your garage, stolen or not. What I assume most of the clods have done is spent $1.5M to buy a tank from Warstock. When that's done, you call up Pegasus and pay them $1K to deliver the tank.

Where do these clods get tanks? Do they buy them? Steal them? Can you put them in your garage?

You can try to steal them, but you're likely to get your tank blasted by the other tanks before you escape. You can't put them in your garage, stolen or not. What I assume most of the clods have done is spent $1.5M to buy a tank from Warstock. When that's done, you call up Pegasus and pay them $1K to deliver the tank.

Pegasus prices went down with the latest update - dropped to $200, at least for the Buzzard

What purpose do the tanks serve online besides for use in griefing other players? You can't use them in missions, can you? At least with a helicopter or a plane you can get from point A to point B in a hurry. I stole a police helicopter once and then didn't really know what to do with it - I felt kinda guilty shooting at other players who didn't do anything to me, so I just rode around for a while until I crashed, then said "oh well."

Pegasus prices went down with the latest update - dropped to $200, at least for the Buzzard

Huh. I only call tanks when other people are in tanks and I want to bust them, (once I do, I run over cars until the tank's about to die, get out, stick a few sticky bombs on there and blow it up when someone tries to take it,) so I haven't seen that cost in the current update.

Seems a bit silly, given we're talking about vehicles you've dropped seven figures on, especially given how liquid the "economy" is.

What purpose do the tanks serve online besides for use in griefing other players? You can't use them in missions, can you?

You can use them in missions. I was doing Death From Above with someone who (after I'd used up all the team lives) turned up in a tank, killed everyone around the house, got out and shot (and photographed) the target, then went back in the tank and drove to the apartment, killing cops constantly until none of them had eyes on him, then went inside and changed clothes before driving to Madrazzo's house in a regular car type car.

The annoying thing was, they didn't have a headset, so at the start when they were just standing there and I was saying "Get in the car, let's go" I figured it was just someone who'd picked Join Mission and then left thier controller - hence me trying to do the thing solo. If I'd known, I'd have waited.

I hate Lester so much it makes my balls ache.

"Hey go get this thing for me. You'll need a chopper. Go fetch one."

"Hey go get this other thing for me. You'll need a truck to haul a trailer. Go drive around Cypress Flats for 9 hours until you find one that spawned."

Hey Lester, it's really hard to escape this 3-star level in an 18-wheeler. If I give you $500 can you get rid of them for me?

"Nope."

Go choke to death on Cheetos dust.

The rest of my frustration was totally my fault. After spending probably 10-15 real world minutes finding the truck, losing the cops, killing bad guys - I get RIGHT AT THE TURN for his garage. Overshot it. Backed up. Disconnected the trailer and knocked it over. But, for the first time ever I actually managed to ram it enough to get it turned upright and finish the mission.

Oh yeah, and who designed his warehouse layout? I'm trying to not turn the trailer over again while navigating through turns a Mini Cooper would have trouble with.

Jstout and I were on and off most of the day, and he helped me get through some missions (big thanks for helping me FINALLY beat Death From Above) and we did some random voting screen missions. Sorry for picking that new survival. I couldn't get backed out of it in time.

And before I forget, my buddy wanted me to apologize to you on his behalf. While you and I were completing Death From Above, he was trying to take a shortcut through the mountains and ended up dying in a fireball while tumbling down the hillside. When he respawned, he got run over on the highway. He figured you'd think he was actively trying to sabotage the thing.

• Like 1

I was just getting ready to say my secret for beating the Death from Above level was to have RUkered do all the work while I stood there and shot two or three guys before dying. There's too many people around the mansion, and then boom, here come the cops with helicopters. It paid well, but how we made it through it is a mystery to me. I was shouting at my screen (but not using my headset) "take my motorcycle!" as you were finding an escape vehicle.

I figured he was trying to take a map shortcut judging by the mountainous route. I suck at doing anything besides following the GPS.

I like that new survival. Two people aren't gonna finish it, but we did better than I thought we would, truth be told. They obviously designed it to have no real solid angle where you don't have a blind side to deal with at some point. Behind that wall is about as good as it gets, but it may not be a good spot for two players. Behind the soda machine isn't bad, but they're prone to sneaking up on your side.

I could probably do nothing but parachute jumps and plane-flying races from now through the end of time and not get any better at them.  

I like that new survival. Two people aren't gonna finish it, but we did better than I thought we would, truth be told. They obviously designed it to have no real solid angle where you don't have a blind side to deal with at some point. Behind that wall is about as good as it gets, but it may not be a good spot for two players. Behind the soda machine isn't bad, but they're prone to sneaking up on your side.

AxB, me, and a third guy beat that survival tonight. The trick seemed to be keeping EVERYONE on the west side of the pier so that nearly all of the baddies would spawn on the other side. We had the third guy near the entrance to the bathroom, me to the south of him, behind those dumpsters that have a good sight-line into the open part of the pier they have to rush across, and AxB floating along that line from north to south to go where needed. The hard part is on the multiple helicopter stages, because really the only cover is the bathroom, but to keep the enemy foot soldiers from overwhelming, you really need at least one person out there. I think it's doable with two if one has a minigun to take choppers out.

I beat that survival tonight as part of a four-person group. I tried staying behind the wall and kept getting shot, so I moved over to behind one of the drink machines, where I would still eventually get shot, but not before taking out about 10-15 of them. Sooner or later, the numbers get overwhelming. Plus I have a habit of being drilled by the helicopters.

I think we had three guys behind the wall, and then me. One guy would always join me in getting killed, then the other two would finish the wave.

I dunno that the cover's good enough to do it with two, considering the numbers just get overwhelming. It's not like the Boneyard. 

The extra hour of work now has killed my sched. Instead og getting home early and eating/showering and playing for 2 hours, i maybe have 1 hour and being outside in the fluxuating temps has left me sick and drained. Oh, the extra 15 minutes getting off post now with everyone leaving AT 1630 doesnt help.

Not playing tonight since im going to the bellator show in PA and saturday will be all about doctor who.

Still havent done anything from beach pack yet.

What's this Weekend event that I spawned into? It seems to just be a city-wide deathmatch, with your house and personal vehicles off the match. I think there's a new Playlist too (does anyone do playlists? I never have. It might be a good way to grind without it getting monotonous. One guy was saying that now they've killed races and re-doing phone missions, people will be grinding survivals... there was one guy who joined our party and then stood behind a bus not moving for 90% of the thing, and he still got his $20,000. We were trying to friendly fire him, but it didn't work. We could have just all died, then kicked him on the replay, but pride is a terrible thing.

There's too many people around the mansion, and then boom, here come the cops with helicopters. It paid well, but how we made it through it is a mystery to me.

Pure, sheer luck is how we made it - not because of any skill on my part. I noticed the first time that going around the right side of the mansion -  I managed to shoot the target, but died before I could get a picture of him. I've never even gotten close to him before. So I figured if I could just kill enough people and survive long enough to take the picture of him that it wouldn't matter if I then died. One of us would still be alive to go to Madrazzo's house. Either way, I finally completed it and I'll never do it again if I can help it.

I got some of the details wrong about my buddy. What actually happened is even more hilarious to me. The first time he died, it was because he flew over a ridge and didn't realize a cliff was on the other side. He was afraid the car would explode, so he jumped out and parachuted - only he was basically 4 inches off the ground when the chute opened. When he respawned, he was back on top of the mountain, so he thought - screw it - I'll just parachute down. What he didn't realize is that he no longer had a parachute. So he more or less just dove off a mountain to his death.

I ended up getting through that Pier survival last night - again - basically dumb luck. I kept my same spot behind that wall the majority of the time. My buddy stayed near the bathroom at those vending machines. A third guy was to the left of the vending machines where the trucks drive up. He was really good at taking out the trucks and helicopters. A fourth guy basically just ran around taking out as many as he could before he died.

When it started getting overwhelming, me and my buddy would run into that bathroom for cover and kill guys as they came in the door. When it got to Wave 10, it ended up just being me and my buddy. Still had a lot of guys left and three (holy shit, three) helicopters in the air. That bathroom may not be the best strategy, but it worked out pretty well because the people coming in the door had miniguns. Obviously you risk getting annihilated by them, and I did get shot a little, but I also got their miniguns. I just stood back in the bathroom and waited until the dots got close, then just opened fire and let them walk into the stream of bullets. Once they were dead, I stepped out and took out the helicopters. That strategy seems to have about a 50/50 shot of working, but it's the best thing I've figured out so far.

• Like 1

I've tried to do the Pier survival a couple of times, but both times it glitched on level 4 or 5 so that one of the cars spawned on the stairs leading up to the pier and got stuck.  When you go to try and blow it up, you end up leaving the zone which fails the mission.