DVDVR Message Board

A thread for PS+/PSN Deals

Tabe

Its not a demo, he said.  I just only gives you 10 cars and one country, so its only "like" a demo, but its not, because he said it isn't!

Fucking game companies are reaching squeezing blood from a stone level of add on bullshit.  But hey, it makes it better, right?

No, its not a beta.  Its the actual release.  The Plus version is releasing the same time as the Retail.

Unless you're refering to the fact that just about every game released nowadays is a glorified beta, then I'll conciede that.

Call me crazy, but I perfered the old days when I dropped $50 for the full finished game than $60 for something that's not finished, and getting more squeezed out of me while being told I'm getting a better experience.

No, its not a beta. Its the actual release. The Plus version is releasing the same time as the Retail.

Unless you're refering to the fact that just about every game released nowadays is a glorified beta, then I'll conciede that.

Call me crazy, but I perfered the old days when I dropped $50 for the full finished game than $60 for something that's not finished, and getting more squeezed out of me while being told I'm getting a better experience.

Maybe it's a prerelease Alpha that costs money?

Yeah, I was kidding.

The current Konami sale doesn't suck though.

All the MGS's except 4 and Phantom Pain, 2 of the 3 new Castlevanias (2 and Mirror of Fate), and the Castlevania Harmony of Despair multiplayer game (that's not entirely terrible.)

In October, PS Plus membership includes a bonus game: DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition. Along with Dust: An Elysian Tail, Spelunky, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara, Pix The Cat, and Rainbow Moon.

PS4:

Dust and Spelunky - whoop dee doo.  Way to roll out the big titles, Sony.  Where the heck is our free Infamous, Knack, or Killzone?

Driveclub - This could be a lot of fun but man that huge delay is a concern...

Pix the Cat: whoop dee doo.

PS3:

Batman: Arkham Asylum - Pretty sure this was given for free already.  This is a game lots of other people loved but I didn't like.

D&D: Yay, a pair of 1980s arcade games.

Rainbow Moon: I've put 120 hours into this.  It's fun but not great.  Not a bad freebie.  

Overall, this is a really, really underwhelming month.  The PS4 freebies continue to be a big disappointment.

Spelunky is good times from what I've tried. I got it on a steam sale but for whatever reason it isn't running well on my PC, so I'll give it a shot on PS4. I'm surprised they haven't given us Knick Knack Paddy Wack now that it's been a year since launch and nobody bought the damn thing. 

I think Ark

In October, PS Plus membership includes a bonus game: DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition. Along with Dust: An Elysian Tail, Spelunky, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara, Pix The Cat, and Rainbow Moon.

PS4:

Dust and Spelunky - whoop dee doo.  Way to roll out the big titles, Sony.  Where the heck is our free Infamous, Knack, or Killzone?

Driveclub - This could be a lot of fun but man that huge delay is a concern...

Pix the Cat: whoop dee doo.

PS3:

Batman: Arkham Asylum - Pretty sure this was given for free already.  This is a game lots of other people loved but I didn't like.

D&D: Yay, a pair of 1980s arcade games.

Rainbow Moon: I've put 120 hours into this.  It's fun but not great.  Not a bad freebie.  

Overall, this is a really, really underwhelming month.  The PS4 freebies continue to be a big disappointment.

Pretty sure it was Arkham City that was free before, never the original Asylum (which makes it even weirder.). Pretty bland month; I already have Spelunky and both PS3 games. As for getting retail games on PS4, I would put money on getting either Killzone or a knack in November. The number of times Sony have put up a less than one year old retail AAA game from their own lineup is negligible and I always kind of figured that November would get us a launch title as the first AAA freebie.

Yeah, it was Arkham City that was free before.  That makes this decision rather puzzling.

I just watched a video review of Dust and it at least looks interesting so I'll give it a try.  Still, the quality of PS+ titles for the PS4 thus far has been terrible.  Historically, the PS3 titles have been a tremendous value - Infamous 2, Bioshock 1, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite, Arkham City, NBA 2k14, Max Payne, Deus Ex, Grid 2, PES 2014, Sleeping Dogs, Little Big Planet 1 & 2, Ratchet & Clank, and a ton of others have all been free.  That's great value.  The PS4 offerings?  Not even the same stratosphere.  Yeah, the system is less than a year old and there's a dearth of titles overall, let alone ones that can be given away but still...

Is Speluky for PS4?

Yes, it is also cross-buy (so if you got the PS3 version, you'll get PS4 version for free).

Does that cross over to Vita too, he asked hopefully?

The PS4 offerings?  Not even the same stratosphere.  Yeah, the system is less than a year old and there's a dearth of titles overall, let alone ones that can be given away but still...

I still say be patient as I think the young age of the PS4 and the lack of AAA titles is the sole reason we have yet to see a free $60 game on PS+. Has Xbone been giving free AAA titles though its service?

• Like 1

I usually agree with you Tabe, but I'm not sure what you expected as far as free games for a console less than a year old. I wouldn't think we will see anything like the ps3 had available for another year to be honest.

They could have easily done one of the titles I already mentioned - Knack, Infamous, or Killzone - as a freebie.  Or Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag.  I'm not saying I had huge expectations, given the age of the console, but man, it seems like 90% of the offerings have been "random quirky indie title with crappy graphics".

Infamous is barely six months old.  Sony have *never* dropped a first-party retail game that young on PS+ outside the Vita (I think Gravity Rush was right around that old when it was added, and it was a sales disappointment). The launch games would be a more reasonable expectation, but I don't think a year's wait is such a miserable thing when I'm paying $4 a month. Then again, I don't share Tabe's disdain for pixel-art games, so I'm less likely to be offended by indie choices.

True about Infamous.  I keep thinking it's been out longer than that.  FWIW, Infamous 2 was out for exactly a year when it was given away on PS+.

"Disdain" for pixel-art games is probably too harsh a word though not too far off.  I just think it's a lazy development process and that we've seen waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many of them in the last year or two.  Especially when it's games like whatever that clone of Metal Slug was that came out a couple months ago looking worse than the game it was ripping off (Metal Slug).  For the record, I've tried a lot of these games despite the graphics and just didn't enjoy them.  I'm hardly a graphics whore but if you're going to do crappy graphics, like Hotline Miami, the underlying game better not suck.  LIke Hotline Miami did.