DVDVR Message Board

Best/Worst of 2015 - Half Year

Since the year is halfway over, it's time for us to calculate the best and the worst of the year so far. Let's do a top 5 in each category, just to be fair.If there is no way to fill out a top 5, just do whatever feels right. (For example, worst tv show should only have one or two tops.)

1. Best Wrestler

2. Best Match

3. Best Promotion

4. Best Live Special/PPV

5. Best Tag Team/Trio

6. Best Non Wrestler

7. Best Weekly Tv Show

8. Most Improved

1. Worst Wrestler

2. Worst Match

3. Worst Tag Team/Trio

4. Worst Non Wrestler

5. Worst Live Special/PPV

6, Worst Promotion

7. Worst Weekly TV Show

8. Least Improved

1. Best Wrestler: Kota Ibushi
2. Best Match: Cena/Rollins/Lesner @ Royal Rumbles
3. Best Promotion: NJPW
4. Best Live Special/PPV: Wrestle Kingdom 9
5. Best Tag Team/Trio: Antonio Cesaro / Tyson Kidd
6. Best Non Wrestler: Paul Heyman
7. Best Weekly Tv Show: NJPW on AxS
8. Most Improved: Sasha Banks

1. Best Wrestler:  Roman Reigns has been in quite a few high profile matches, and he's exceeded expectations in all of them.  He gets my vote, which has to be somewhere up there with the title run he was supposed to get.  Sasha Banks Kevin Owens, and John Cena were very hard not to pick.

2. Best Match:  This is probably the hardest one, but I think Ibushi vs. Nakamura is still the best.  The Rumble threeway and Banks vs. Lynch are also very good.

3. Best Promotion:  I haven't watched nearly enough NJPW or ROH this year to vote for this, but WWE is having a really good year in the ring.  Cena's US Open Challenge has worked wonders for him as a character and the U.S. Title, and guaranteed at least one really good match per Raw.

4. Best Live Special/PPV  Wrestle Kingdom 9 was awesome, but so was Wrestlemania.  I think I'll pick Wrestle Kingdom 9, because it was so different and J.R. is better than JBL, Cole and King.

5. Best Tag Team/Trio:  New Day went from the worst thing on TV to the best thing on TV. 

6. Best Non Wrestler:  Heyman is the easy choice, but Renee Young is incredibly good at her job...and Eden is incredibly good at looking incredibly good(as is Lana).

7. Best Weekly Tv Show:  I'm not qualified to answer this, I only really watch Raw and I fast forward through most of that.

8. Most Improved:  The New Day

1. Worst Wrestler:  There are very few terrible wrestlers in WWE these days, but if I had to pick I'd choose The Ascension as a collective.

2. Worst Match:  The Ascension vs. The New Age Outlaws

3. Worst Tag Team/Trio:  The Ascension

4. Worst Non Wrestler:  Jerry Lawler

5. Worst Live Special/PPV:  Elimination Chamber, Cena and Owens was fucking great though.

6, Worst Promotion:  I don't know, because I go out of my way not to watch bad wrestling.

7. Worst Weekly TV Show

8. Least Improved:  Seriously have either Finn Balor or Hideo Itami had one good moment since their debuts?  Balor seems to be living off of his entrance and Itami got injured as soon as it looked like he was finding his footing.  I hope these guys are most improved the next time I fill out this type of list, but they really haven't done anything since joining NXT.

All I'm gonna say that if you don't put Lucha Underground as Best TV Show you need to get on the damn ball

I don't get El Rey, nor do I speak Spanish, and for some reason you can change audio from Spanish to another Spanish, but not Spanish to English on my cable.  What I've seen has been good, but I don't watch from week to week.

There are...places...where you can view such things.  

I like El Rey's programming in general but I have to be really, REALLY careful when watching Lucha Underground with my daughter because they'll end a segment and cut to a commercial for, like, "Dario Argento's most repulsive blood-gushing film ever!" complete with close-ups of screaming woman and lots of red corn syrup.  

1. Best Wrestler - Cena, he has been consistent as hell throughout this year.

2. Best Match - Lesnar v. Reigns at Wrestlemania.

3. Best Promotion - NXT, it has been great so far in 2015

4. Best Live Special/PPV - Wrestle Kingdom 9, just a great watch start to finish

5. Best Tag Team/Trio - Miz & Mizdow, were fantastic and super over for the first part of the year, shame they wont really figure in the end of year polls.

6. Best Non Wrestler - Heyman

7. Best Weekly Tv Show - Lucha Underground

8. Most Improved - Rusev, he was getting better and better every week until he got injured, he's been fantastic this year.

Brock has had two matches this year and they are the two best matches on the main roster all year. It's hard to vote against him for me. I'd consider Owens, Banks, and Cena from WWE.

MOTY I got Sasha/Becky slightly over Lesnar/Reigns.

• 2 weeks later...

Best Wrestler: 1. Shinsuke Nakamura [New Japan] 2. Daisuke Sekimoto [big Japan] 3. Kota Ibushi [New Japan/DDT]

Honorable Mention: Go Shiozaki, Minoru Suzuki, Kevin Owens, Sasha Banks, Prince Puma, HARASHIMA

Best Match: 1. Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kota Ibushi - NJPW 4/01 2. Kyle O’Reilly vs KUSHIDA - NJPW 7/06 3. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kazuchika Okada - NJPW 4/01
Honorable Mention: Sasha Banks vs Becky Lynch, John Cena vs Kevin Owens I & II, Roderick Strong vs Zack Sabre from PWG, Amigo Tag vs The Jimmyz, Okabayashi vs Ishikawa and Strong BJ vs Ishikawa & Sato

Best Promotion: 1. New Japan Pro Wrestling 2. Big Japan Pro Wrestling 3. DDT
Honorable Mention: Lucha Underground and Ring of Honor

Best Live Special/PPV: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9

Best Tag Team/Trio: Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi [big Japan/DDT] 2. Takashi Sugiura & Masato Tanaka [NOAH/ZERO1] 3. Kyle O’Reilly & Bobby Fish [Ring of Honor/NJPW]
Honorable Mention: Young Bucks, Shane Haste & Mikey Nicholls

Best Non Wrestler: 1. Paul Heyman [WWE] 2. Dario Cueto [Lucha Underground] 3. Triple H [WWE]

Best Weekly Tv Show: 1. Lucha Underground 2. NJPW On AXS 3. WWE NXT

Most Improved: 1. Sasha Banks [WWE] 2. Kento Miyahara [AJPW] 3. Becky Lynch [WWE]

Worst Wrestler: 1.  The Big Show [WWE] 2. Kane [WWE] 3. Maybach Taniguchi [NOAH]

Worst Match: N/R

Worst Tag Team/Trio: 1. The New Day [WWE] 2. The Ascension [WWE] 3. The Prime Time Players [WWE]

Worst Non Wrestler: N/R

Worst Live Special/PPV 1. Dragon Gate Dead or Alive 2. WWE Extreme Rules 3. WWE Royal Rumble

Worst Promotion: 1. Total Nonstop Action 2. WWE 3. Chikara

Worst Weekly TV Show: 1. WWE Raw 2. WWE Smackdown 3. Impact Wrestling

Least Improved: 1. Bray Wyatt [WWE] 2. Ethan Carter 3 [TNA] 3. Ryusuke Taguchi [New Japan]

Brock has had two matches this year and they are the two best matches on the main roster all year. It's hard to vote against him for me. I'd consider Owens, Banks, and Cena from WWE.

MOTY I got Sasha/Becky slightly over Lesnar/Reigns.

Only thing we disagree on is Match of the Year, Lesnar/Reigns is mine. With you on the rest.

Will try and come up with a reply to the other categories.

1. Best Wrestler-Biff Busick

2. Best Match-NWA north american champ Tim Storm vs John Saxon taped fist match NWA BIW hero's downfall

3. Best Promotion-Lucha Underground

4. Best Live Special/PPV-No clue

5. Best Tag Team/Trio-New Day

6. Best Non Wrestler-no clue

7. Best Weekly Tv Show-Lucha Underground

8. Most Improved-Frankie Superkick Thomas

1. Worst Wrestler-Kane

2. Worst Match-Blade Boudreaux vs The Punisher PSP Winter Warfare

3. Worst Tag Team/Trio-Young Bucks

4. Worst Non Wrestler-Miss Britney

5. Worst Live Special/PPV-No clue

6, Worst Promotion-TNA

7. Worst Weekly TV Show-WWE Raw

8. Least Improved-Ryback

I'm just listing my favorites and am biased as fuck

1. Best Wrestler-King Cuerno/Hijo Del Fantasma

2. Best Match-Grave Consequences - Mil Muertes vs Fenix, Lucha Underground

3. Best Promotion-Lucha Underground

4. Best Live Special/PPV-I'm going to throw Ultima Lucha in here because I was THERE so technically I saw it for the half year.  suck it

5. Best Tag Team/Trio- Angelico/Son of Havoc/Ivelisse

6. Best Non Wrestler- Dario Motherfucking Cueto

7. Best Weekly Tv Show-Lucha Underground

8. Most Improved-Fenix

I don't do all that negative shit

1. Best Wrestler - Sasha Banks, John Cena, Brock Lesnar, Kevin Owens, Shinsuke Namamura

2. Best Match - Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch, Nakamura vs. Ibishi WK9, Lesnar vs. Cena vs. Rollins Rumble, Reigns vs. Bryan Fastlane, Fenix vs. Mil Muertes - Grave Conquences - Lucha Underground

3. Best Promotion - NJPW, NXT, WWE, RoH, Lucha Underground

4. Best Live Special/PPV - WrestleKingdom 9, NXT Takeover Unstoppable, WWE Extreme Rules 

5. Best Tag Team/Trio - Brass Ring Club, New Day, Addiction.

6. Best Non Wrestler - Paul Heyman, Rene Young, Lana, Dario Cuerto

7. Best Weekly Tv Show - NXT, Lucha Underground, RoH.

8. Most Improved - Sahsa Banks, Rusev, New Day, Kota Ibushi

1. Worst Wrestler - Kane, Taguchi, 

2. Worst Match - Ascension vs. New Age Outlaws, 

3. Worst Tag Team/Trio - Ascension

4. Worst Non Wrestler - Michael Cole

5. Worst Live Special/PPV - WWE Royal Rumble, 

6, Worst Promotion - TNA

7. Worst Weekly TV Show - TNA Impact, 

8. Least Improved - Bray Wyatt, Kane.