DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

IPv6 does nothing to screw with your internet speed.  Its a myth.

Comcast was throttling on the Down Low.  They do that.

The only thing is if the servers the Facebook app, Youtube, and the Netflix servers you're accessing haven't been upgraded to IPv6 and are sending back bad queries.  With it disabled, you're going to run into problems down the line when everything finally switches over.

Since Youtube is owned by Google, its highly unlikely they have a server not IPv6 enabled.

Yeah, I didn't really get why doing that would resolve the issue. Especially since accessing the Facebook web page, which presumably hits at least SOME of the same servers as the Facebook app, had no such issues. The problem was specific to the Facebook app (both iOS and Android flavors). Ditto the Netflix thing - why OK on PS3/PS4 but not AppleTV? Weird.

Whatever, it fixed the issue, so I'm OK with it.

Does anyone know of a software(s) that can universally rip any dvds and blu rays to playable files on your PC? 

I am in the process of backing up my blu rays and selected dvds, but struggling to find a software that can simply do the job, turn a blu ray movie into a say 4gb file (ideally mp4 so I don't have to convert again). I don't mind paying for a good suite, but the ones I can find out there don't seem to have a huge amount of reviews and are on websites I've never heard of. Ideally I'd like to buy off Amazon or another big site that way I can return if it's no good or not fit for my purposes.

Off the top of my head there's this one.  Seems like it does the job, and I've known people that were pretty happy with this.  There's always the free trial to see if it's a good fit for you.

http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/events/enu/2015/Q1/PPC/01_PDVD_B/index.jsp?affid=2581_1102_80_paidsearch-us_0_1&gclid=Cj0KEQiA6dGmBRC_3Mi-x_XywKsBEiQA1lcFP4pU55piQgWNCQzPOwCFaQd_3Mh4rRQZER7SiPkUbwEaAk-r8P8HAQ

• Like 1

You need two pieces. You need something to break the encryption and rip the content on Blu-rays and then something to encode the Blu-ray rip into a smaller format. You're not going to find something terribly good like that off of Amazon. You'll want MakeMKV for the rip and then Handbrake for the encode.

• Like 1

So I've been having problems with my phone (T-Mobile LG G2):

Last week, I copied a bunch of video files to the phone but "Gallery" wasn't picking them up. So they were a challenge to get to in order to play them. I did some Googling and the suggestions were to delete the saved data for "Gallery" and for "Media Storage". I did that. No change. Another suggested you had to reboot after that stuff, so I rebooted. The files magically showed up in "Gallery". Good.

Then...

I noticed my ringtone had been changed. And my notification tone. OK, no problem. I figured clearing out data had deleted the mappings for the ringtone and notification tone. I changed back the ringtone to my little mp3 file of "Layla", no problem. I go to change the notification tone and the one I'd used previously, a stock tone that came with the phone, was nowhere to be found. Fine, I'll use something else. Of course all the others suck. I pick one that sucks less than others and go with that.

Except I hate it.

So yesterday I decide to try and find a tone online I can live with and use that. I find one in mp3 format, download it, and put it on my phone. Hook it up to the notification tone. Seems to work. Get a text and it uses some other tone. Go into "Messaging", set the tone there, get a text, all good.

So, happy ending, right? Wrong.

I get another text and it's back to this awful default "Life is Good" sound from the Vienna Boys Choir. Uh...no. So I go in to change the tone and the one I'd downloaded is...gone. That's weird, I think to myself. I download it to my phone again, go through all the mapping, get another text, all is good.

So, happy ending, right? Wrong.

A little later I get another text and it's again the "Life is Good" thing. I go looking on the phone and the tone file I'd downloaded is physically gone. As in deleted by the phone. WTF?

No clue what's going on here. Anybody know? In the meantime, I'm back to using this terrible stock tone that I hate. Grrr.

• 2 weeks later...

Lenovo PCs ship with man-in-the-middle adware that breaks HTTPS connections

Basically, Lenovo purposely put on some of their laptops a piece of software that hijacked and interjected itself into HTTPS connections to display ads, which is a huge no-no and could easily lead to hacks, etc.

So far it's only been found on the cheaper laptops, though, and not desktops are more expensive laptops.

Funny, I've been doing the same hunt. Sadly, it seems like iPods are the only MP3 player worth buying. I've been keeping an eye on eBay really. There's usually good deals on iPod touches on there, as well as iPod classics from reputable sellers.

My recommendation would be the FiiO X1.  It doesn't break the bank and you can throw in a 128gb card in it also.  iPod classic with rockbox is still well regarded too.  Never been a fan of iTunes personally and the newer iPods never did anything for me in terms of sound quality although they're well made devices.  I've always liked Cowon devices as well. 

Is this the right place to ask for advice in finding a new MP3 player? I rather not spend like $200/$300 for an iPod that's over 100GB, but Amazon seems to be owned by Apple or something.

It has a lot of annoying quirks and crappy software for putting songs on it but Zunes aren't bad. I had one before I bought my current iPod. I only switched because I wanted more storage space.

Is it 5.0 or 5.0.1? My 2013 Moto X is still stuck on 4.4.4 but I read that 5.0 had a bug that drained battery. I believe it was fixed in 5.0.1. Oddly enough, when my 2012 Nexus 7 went from 4.4.4 to 5.0, the battery life got much better.