DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Starts Again On 10/7

Dolfan in NYC

I can't believe it but as pissed as I was at the Hornets pick yesterday, I am that happy today with the Hurricanes pick of Hanifin.  Hanifin - Faulk/Fleury - Mckeown looks like a solid core for the next decade or so if we can hold on to all of them.

• Like 1

I absolutely love that Columbus' head scout is a Bond villain.

Speaking of Bond villains our new goalie apparently has a fish tank full of piranhas he named for members of the Ottawa media.

• Like 1

Even though the Sabres aren't my favourite team, I empathize with our expansion cousins on having one of the worst people in the league deciding your team's fate. Having a great general manager/president is more important than all but a handful of players with the death of easy trade movement, the dearth of quality free agents (this year's has to be the worst class since free agency was a thing, right?), and the reliance on the draft.

Hoping the Bieksa to San Jose rumors are true. I wish we could slip in Sbisa and Dorsett but beggars can't be choosers. I still can't believe how the idiot running the Canucks can look at the performances of Lack and Miller and come to the conclusion you keep Ryan Miller for two more years. I guess I can believe it. I wonder what meat and potatoes guy we get at 23.

Doubt he can move Miller. You might get someone to overpay for Lack, though.

It's a hugely divisive trade on Oilers social media.

I'm going to be the one honest guy of that lot: I haven't seen enough of him play to really know. I'll judge it as it goes. I'm also a guy that makes it clear I value draft picks outside of the top 10 much less than some people clearly do. It's a theoretical number on paper, a lot of people radically overvalue them, and if you can't convert it into a more established veteran, I'm willing to see where this goes.

Biggest knock on Reinhart I see is his speed.

I would have liked the Edmonton trade a lot more for Edmonton if not for two things: 1. they threw in the second round pick which is so high, it's almost like dealing two firsts for Reinhart who struggled with the speed of the NHL playoffs last year and 2. Matt Barzal was still on the board (Not to mention Nick Merkley).  Where would they fit on Edmonton's roster?  Who cares!  Stockpile offensive players, then deal the not-as-good or not-as-signable for stuff you need!

Weird draft.  Like why did Ottawa make a big to-do about drafting Ottawa players, then bypass Konecny who not only grew up in Ottawa but plays his junior hockey there twice!  So obviously Ottawa didn't think much of him, but Philadelphia thought enough of him to trade up to get him.

BTW, of my ranked WHL players, my #3 (Paul Bittner) and 5 (Jansen Harkins) are still available, but my #6 (DeBrusk) and #7 (Juulsen) are gone.  I'm surprised DeBrusk went as high as he did, but who knows what the Bruins are doing, really.

Barzal and Merkley don't help Edmonton for a minimum of three years.

I would have been stunned if Edmonton actually used the pick to draft a player. That hasn't been on the cards from the second we were getting McDavid. Actually drafting someone with it is pretty clearly the worst option for the team by far. No idea why some people don't see that. Only issue was always going to be what they got for it in trade.

• Like 1

When a guy is drafted 11th overall and he's never had 30 goals in a junior season "total bust" is a completely fair thing to have on the radar.

Maybe he's just a late bloomer, it happens.

I see him more as a potential check line/PK anchor than I do a front line scorer.

Basically, Tallon drafted an offensive lineman. But he plays with a lot of balls, which isn't nothing. Him and Eggs on the ice at the same time is going to be fun.

Yeah but what's the point, really? It's not like the difference between Miller/Markstrom and Lack/Markstrom is going to make them a contender. May as well get a good asset back.

Good assets like a third and seventh round draft picks? Benning is killing my fandom. I'd rather us just be intentionally bad so the ticket prices drop and I can see a game for reasonable price and watch a young team develop, even painfully so. I honestly haven't liked a single trade he's made. He trades decent players that have more value to us than other teams (Lack and Garrison being the best examples) for garbage, only to acquire downgrades and expect results. The Baertschi move may be the lone exception.

Eddie Lack will beat out Cam Ward by the end of October. Ward is awful and while Lack can be a bit streaky, he's a much, much better option on a grossly overpriced veteran living off the reputation he made 10 years ago (hint hit).

Khoubodin got traded from Carolina to the Ducks because the Ducks will forever have 4 goalies and not know which one is the starter.

Edmonton make a kind of weird trade sending Marcinin to Toronto for THINGS, then basically flip one of those THINGS to Ottawa getting Eric Gryba... so basically Marincin for Gryba? I guess. Also, we drafted Seth Jones' little brother. Why not.

A lot of stuff going on today. Way more interesting than trade deadline day so far this draft weekend.