DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Starts Again On 10/7

Dolfan in NYC

In regards to Franzen,  I was going to say 'You can't disregard those playoff numbers either' then looked up said numbers and was surprised to find he only has 11 points in his last 32 playoff games (This coming after a three year period where he put up 59 points in 51 playoff games), so...apparently you can disregard them.

Elsewhere

-Jason Botchford seems to think the Canucks want out from under Radim Vrbata's contract after his first season where he was named the Canucks MVP, tweeting "they're down on him in a big way, makes $5m, and would have massive appeal to places like pitts" followed by "only time you notice him is when he's scrambling to put a puck into an empty net", the latter meant to be a quote from someone in the organization.  Baffling.

-Mike Babcock doesn't sound like a guy who's keen to come back to Detroit, repeatedly referring to the team getting older and not having replacements for Pavel Datsyuk waiting in the *ahem* Wings.  Bob McKenzie seems to think that if he leaves, Edmonton is his first choice.

-Also, have we talked about the USA's World Hockey Championship team here,  yet?  There's some decent talent there on defence - Seth Jones, Justin Faulk, Jake Gardiner, Torrey Krug - but their goaltending tandem is Connor Hellebuyck (A Jets prospect who played in the AHL this year) and Alex Lyon (an unsigned NCAA UFA) with a forward corps that boasts Mark Arcobello as its top scoring NHL forward (He had 19 goals over 4 NHL stops in Edmonton, Nashville, Pittsburgh and Arizona).  Seriously, look at this list: there's NCAA forwards with no pro experience (Jack Eichel, Jimmy Vesey, Dylan Larkin...I've also heard reports that Auston Matthews, the expected #1 pick in 2016 is on the team but he's not listed yet on the IIHF website); the aforementioned Arcobello, Nick Bonino; and a bevy of 3rd/4th liners (Ben Smith, Trevor Lewis, Jeremy Morin and Matt Hendricks, the latter of whom has been named captain), as well as a couple UFAs playing in Europe (Steve Moses, now signed with Nashville, and Dan Sexton).  On paper, I think this might be the worst lineup I've seen a hockey power ice for the WHCs.

In fairness Arcobello is probably one of the best stories of the year that has got lost in the hype around backup goalies actually making a save. Guy was labelled an AHL lifer then bounces around and somehow has a good year everywhere he was yet still bizarrely manages to get waived 3 times. Considering how terrible NHL scoring was this year and how many guys got praised to the moon for managing the miracle of 20 goals, Arcobello's 19 in a crazy unstable year is quite something.

Pittsburgh letting him go was kind of a mystery to me when you look at how terrible their forward depth is. I guess they really needed that fourth line of goons.

Very interested to see what he does next year with (almost certainly) a lot more stability on what will be a really young Arizona team. He's one of those guys that physically doesn't seem like much but he keeps popping up in the smart place to be at least on offense.

I don't mind the idea of moving Vrbata simply because his value is probably the highest it's going to be. If they could get a pick or a prospect back for him, that's good.

If you isolate it to that, it's not a big deal and I think most people would be fine with that. That they took thinly veiled shots at our third best forward and leading goalscorer's play in the post-season while praising Sbisa for "initiating scrums and being physical" (really? when?) is a bit more unnerving. But it's the long-term decision making (Sbisa going from a thrown-in piece in the Kesler deal to a $3.6 million dollar AHLer and Derek Dorsett getting more money than Higgins and Hansen, as well as Benning's trades outside of the Baertschi deal) that scares the shit out of me and a bunch of Canuck fans. MOAR MEAT AND POTATERS, FELLARZ.

Apparently, the new owners wanted new blood/new voice as part of front office.

Really weird that the new owners didn't issue a statement about Lou leaving.  Whether or not you're personally getting along with him, or even forced him out, the dude had just been your team's GM for 28 years.  When they were contacted to ask if they'd like to issue a statement, they told the media no.

I wonder if this will turn out like Jim Rutherford in Carolina.  Where he "willingly" steps aside to let Ron Francis take over as GM, then about a month later jumps ship to Pittsburgh and becomes their GM.  Could you imagine Lou outside of New Jersey?  He's totally been baffled by the salary cap, but you'd have to think some teams would be interested if word got out he was willing to jump ship.

Also, there's a new site trying to fill the Capgeek void and it's the best one I've seen yet.  http://www.generalfanager.com/

• Like 1

Interesting. I'm glad there's more new blood in the coaching circle of the NHL rather than retreading through the same old guys. Saying that, Guy Boucher needs to be in the NHL.

I like the McLellan hiring for Edmonton. He's done well with San Jose's younger players, comes off as a good modern teacher of the game in that he doesn't just yell at dudes when they fuck up, and his teams were almost always in the top 10 for the power play.

There is no team that has terrorized Edmonton more in the last few years than McLellan's Sharks. I don't even want to guess at the number of 40+ shot games they had against us.

Quite happy to have him. If somehow we also don't lose Todd Nelson (who, really, has done nothing wrong during his little interim coach stint), that would be awesome.