DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Starts Again On 10/7

Dolfan in NYC

If you have the chance watch the documentary on former Boston Bruin Derek Sanderson on NBCSN network.  I believe this was the first of the NBC Sports films.  This guy was kind of a goon on the ice although he was a period he was all time in short handed goals but off the ice he was Boston and the NHL version of Joe Namath where he was extremely popular and a wild spirit with the drinking and ladies.  Apparently he used to say that his pre-game ritual was "a steak and a blonde"   :)   Of course he parties way too much and became a mess.   Also create to watch some of the old early 1970's footage.  Man if you thought the Broad Street Bullies were mean and nasty.   There was some insane bench clearing brawls.  

• 2 weeks later...

Pending rubber stamp approval, the NHL will play 3-on-3 in OT next year.

NHLPA wanted nothing to do with the hybrid "play some 4-on-4 and then 3-on-3" that was tested in the AHL, apparently.

Interesting to see which team will be the first to have the stones to just roll out three forwards. Honestly, given our D corps, it really should be the Oilers.

Yeah there is no chance they move a team before expansion. If we take the "expansion fee will start with a 5" line, as Bob McKenzie says, there's no way that's any number other than $500 million, which is crazy but that's the world of sports now.

Listen, I hate the idea of expansion. It's terrible. The league is comically diluted as is, the game will suffer. But if some complete goof wants to pay my company $500 million as a franchise startup fee? I learn to like expansion really quickly. If we also assume that Quebec City and Seattle are interested (which we know they are), plus Vegas that could be $1.5 billion, and I honestly see the NHL going to 32 teams long term with Arizona folding outright at some point.

I think it gives them an advantage at signing him. From what I understand, the Avs get a week to negotiate with him before he goes UFA, so they basically get the first crack at signing him if Soderberg likes their offer.

The Flames did the same thing with Dennis Wideman in 2012; traded a no-name prospect and a 5th round pick for his rights just prior to free agency, then signed him.

It could backfire obviously, if the player in question won't sign with the team (or if the team could have signed him without acquiring his rights), but for a 5th or 6th round pick, it's pretty low risk.

Soderberg signed, btw.  5 years at $4.75 million per.

Ottawa trades Robin Lehner and David Legwand to Buffalo for the 21st overall pick.  Somehow Bryan Murray got rid of the goalie they wanted to keep the least, a terrible overpaid 4th liner/spare part and still returned a first round pick.  That's quite a deal for the Sens.

Even though the Sabres aren't my favourite team, I empathize with our expansion cousins on having one of the worst people in the league deciding your team's fate. Having a great general manager/president is more important than all but a handful of players with the death of easy trade movement, the dearth of quality free agents (this year's has to be the worst class since free agency was a thing, right?), and the reliance on the draft.

Hoping the Bieksa to San Jose rumors are true. I wish we could slip in Sbisa and Dorsett but beggars can't be choosers. I still can't believe how the idiot running the Canucks can look at the performances of Lack and Miller and come to the conclusion you keep Ryan Miller for two more years. I guess I can believe it. I wonder what meat and potatoes guy we get at 23.

How many people in Vancouver are going to do a 180 on Lucic now that it looks like he's Vancouver bound? "He's a neanderthal, but he's our neanderthal!"

He makes way too much money, has one year left before becoming a UFA, his production has dipped, and Boston is in cap trouble so now wouldn't be the worst time to make a move for him. All depends on what's going the other way. I imagine Kassian would be part of it, or we could do something really stupid like trade Edler for Lucic. So, Edler for Lucic it is!

Andy Strickland says he's coming either this summer or next.

LA just got Lucic for their pick, Jones and other stuff. I'm glad we didn't get him at that price. LA will likely re-sign him but there's always the chance of free agency.

In better news, this pretty much means Vancouver will have a lottery pick next summer. 

So the Kings paid more for one year of Lucic than the Shames are going to pay for 4 years of Hamilton once he signs there.

Um, okay.

I can't really comment further on that without going back to the "on mushrooms" quote again. One would assume Boston are still angling for the 3rd overall pick but this is still weird when you compare the two trades side by side.

Go home, Bruins, you're drunk.

So they ship out Hamilton for 1st and two 2nds, then Lucic for Jones, Miller and a 1st.

End Result of the last two days

Bruins lose Soderberg (44 points), Lucic (44 points, and Hamilton (42 points) = Net loss 130 points

Bruins bring in: 1st round pick, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, 2nd round pick, 6th round pick, Martin Jones and Colin Miller and a re-signed Adam McQuaid = Net gain 0 points.

They acquire a good prospect in Miller (Though they already have a handful of d prospects), a good 1A goalie they don't need in Martin Jones, a defenceman who will make $2.75M on the 3rd pairing (In fact when you combine his cap hit with the amount the Bruins are withholding on Lucic's deal, also $2.75M, you end up with $5.5M the supposed amount that Hamilton asked for) and a whole pile of draft picks that it's being rumored they're trying to use to acquire Noah Hanifin in the draft who might one day hopefully be as good of a defenceman as Hamilton already is.

Then in the media availability, Don Sweeney says that "Hamilton wouldn't be comfortable in Boston long-term" then when they ask if he wanted out, he says No.  Really, really weird.