DVDVR Message Board

2015-2016 NCAA BASKETBALL SEASON

RIPPA

Pitino didn't know in a "I'm shocked to discover gambling going on here!" kinda way.  And anyone with two brain cells to rub together would pay for it out of a booster slush fund instead of using university money, so I don't think the investigation will get much traction there.

Jim Boeheim, Larry Brown, Roy Williams, John Calipari, Bruce Pearl, and Kelvin Sampson are all collection D-1 paychecks this year.  Pitino's gonna be fine unless he loses 15 games or gets bounced in the first round of the tournament.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to UW's exhibition last night.  Hard to tell much when they're playing a team that's all 6'6" or shorter, but they looked OK.  Ethan Happ did nice things near the basket and is going to be a really good rebounder.  But he can't do anything away from the basket and is a pretty bad free throw shooter.  The defense was pretty bad for a Bo Ryan team; if you can beat your perimeter defender then you will have a clear path right to the basket.

I ran into Andy Katz buying a t-shirt before the game, which was very unexpected.

That's an awful nice court.

Cheick Diallo lawyered up to fight for his eligibility.  It's looking increasingly unlikely that he'll play at KU this year, which is going to be a real dick in the zipper for their season.  Mickelson/Lucas/Traylor are mostly OK playing center-by-committee, but nobody is really bringing the grit and defensive intensity he was supposed to provide.

Okay, see one of the good things about being a Columbia alum is that I never, ever have to think about college sports.  

But... um, apparently, the basketball team is good this year?   

3 of the 6 CBS talking heads pick them to win(!) the Ivy.   

• Like 1

Okay, see one of the good things about being a Columbia alum is that I never, ever have to think about college sports.  

But... um, apparently, the basketball team is good this year?   

3 of the 6 CBS talking heads pick them to win(!) the Ivy.   

I've got Columbia finishing fourth in the Ivy. I think it's Yale's to lose. They came a point away from making the tournament last year in the tiebreaker against Harvard. (I was at the game -- it was an awesome time.) They return a lot from that team including the best player in the conference, Justin Sears.

Harvard's down this year but they still have a lot of talent remaining from their really great run. Next year they'll be back since they have a monster recruiting class coming. Amaker's a really shaky game coach.

Princeton returns literally everyone from an 18-win team. And they still don't have too many seniors. I think they'll actually take second this year over Harvard.

I forget what Columbia's roster looked like. But I really can't see them leapfrogging over those three teams. They're a perfectly fine team. But I'm thinking more CBI than anything else.

No one was expecting much from La Salle this season. There are a ton of young players and they lost a very good mid-major frontcourt and don't have any sort of replacements in the ready. Next year is what we were eyeing up: We lose one senior (who is a hustle guy who doesn't play a ton) and bring in three transfers sitting out who were all Top 100 HS recruits who went to high majors (Syracuse, Memphis, South Carolina) before getting recruited over/fighting with their coach/getting homesick.

We also blew a 20-point second half lead to D-2 Philadelphia University in an exhibition game.

But we started off 2-0, with a win against a sneaky good Towson team and an experienced Rider team that should finish in the Top 3 in the MAAC. They look really good in a super fun four-guard offense that has actually been five guards because injuries have depleted the little front court size we do have.

The best player on the team is Jordan Price. Dare I say he's the most underrated player in the country? He legitimately has a case. He was second in the A-10 in scoring last year as a transfer sophomore and lit up VCU for 30 + points and almost 20 rebounds (and he's a 6'5" guard). He's torn up the first two games. I think he might end up as A-10 POTY. He's fantastic.

The early season is interesting at 20th and Olney. I'm still thinking it's a 15-win season but it's at least a very fun team.

UNI won 30 games last year. I didn't think they'd be that good (lost their big guy Tuttle and a few others) but they're a really good program. And they had a great home court. I mean, beating a number one team is shocking but it's not the biggest upset ever. This could have been a nine seed upsetting a one in the Round of 32.

Yale came a few FTs away from taking down SMU. Very good college basketball game.

Valpo is up at the half over Oregon. I adore this Valpo team. They're really good at every position and move the ball around really well. No way are they an easy out come March. I wouldn't even be shocked if the end up an at-large bubble team if they choke out in their conference tournament.

My other favorite mid-major this year is South Dakota State. They've been on ESPN3 a ton. They have "12 seed upset" written all over them.

I don't think I posted it this season. But I have been in this awesome pool the past two years. There are over 50 people in it. Everyone picks six college teams in a snake draft. Only eight or nine D-1 teams go undrafted. It's great. I put in a lot of time this year in my research. I landed, in order: Whoever amasses the highest total number of wins among their teams takes the pool. So that leads to strategy. Who do you take in Round 1? A team like Stephen F. Austin (averaging something like 29 wins the past few years) is more valuable than Indiana who play in a tougher conference and might have 22-23 wins. Also, games against D-3 schools not marked as exhibitions also count. So doing some research on the schedules is an absolute necessity to pick up some cheap wins/avoid teams playing above their pay grade. And wins in every tournament -- Conference, NCAA, NIT, CBI, CIT -- also count.

My picks (I started at 30):

1) SOUTH DAKOTA STATE -- The best returning team in the Summit, with a great mid-major backcourt. They added in some decent recruits for that level (including Mr. Nebraska). The only other solid programs in that league are North Dakota State and Oral Roberts. SDSU has gone 4-0 in this young season.

2) HOFSTRA -- The Pride are the favorites of the CAA. Ju'Niya Green is the best player in their conference and they have a well-respected coach. They gave South Carolina fits and just lost at the buzzer last night to Indiana State, or else they'd have I think five wins. They'll pick up more wins later in the year. (Also, they play my La Salle Explorers in a week.)

3) PRINCETON -- Returned the entire roster from an 18-win team last year. They're 2-0. The Ivy is in flux this year. Yale's the clear favorite. Harvard has been the power player in recent years but they graduated a bunch. For some reason, as noted above, Columbia has some attention that I'm not buying. I think Princeton will improve on their 18 wins and might steal the Ivy.

4) CAL STATE-BAKERSFIELD -- They're in the WAC and my favorite team I've picked so far. First, I caught in a preview mag they landed a kid who was Top 100 out of high school and redshirted at Baylor before ending up at CSB. What one has to do in order to not play at Baylor boggles my mind. They also have a few pre-season all-conference types (including a big man from Egypt) and were the third best team in the conference (behind New Mexico State). Their pre-conference schedule has four games against D-2 or D-3 schools. They're 4-0. My freshman can flat-out shoot. I know this because there is something called the Cal State-Bakersfield TV Network, allowing me the comfort of watching every game streamed on YouTube. It's great because you can see how many other people are watching -- it's usually 35 or so, and I might be the only person not related to a player doing so.

5) HOUSTON BAPTIST -- Struggling so far with one win. They're in the Southland, which is Stephen F. Austin and everyone else. They also have Cliff Robinson's kid. Just a flyer pick in the late round because these teams are slim pickings by this point.

6) SAMFORD --- 3-1 so far, with their lone loss coming at Louisville. Friggin' Pelphrey from Kentucky back in the day is their coach. Damn, that makes me feel way too old. There were less than 30 teams picked and one or two publications said Pelph did a good job coaching a shitty team last year, but now he has a whole new roster with like nine freshman/jucos/transfers. That seemed like a total wildcard and at this point in the draft you really just have to take a stab at a lucky guess.

Watch it now every team I drafted has severe injuries.