DVDVR Message Board

2015-2016 NCAA BASKETBALL SEASON

RIPPA

Starting the thread now since folks are being fired

Mason finally got around to firing Paul Hewitt.

Also Alabama fired Anthony Grant

Oh and Alan Major and his weird ass hairline is gone from Charlotte

DePaul's coach is gone, too. I wouldn't be shocked if Seton Hall went in a new direction, also.

Early hot coaching candidates: Bobby Hurley from Buffalo. He's a huge name. I don't think he's much of a coach (Danny's better) but name value and getting an automatic bid from the MAC is tough. If they have a tight game and/or steal a win, he's the leader for the DePaul gig.

Mason might go for American's coach due to the local ties. A jump from the Patriot to the A-10 is a good paycheck rise, unless the wealthy Eagles alum pony up some dough. Once An Eagle, Always An Eagle.

Another hot coach: Andy Toole at Robert Morris. He has them in the tournament AGAIN and they also knocked off Kentucky in the baffling NIT First Round Game they hosted a few years back. He's 34, too.

Mason might go for American's coach due to the local ties. A jump from the Patriot to the A-10 is a good paycheck rise, unless the wealthy Eagles alum pony up some dough. Once An Eagle, Always An Eagle.

The early scuttle is that they are looking at Jim Larranaga's kid Jay (which makes sense for a bunch of reasons)

While Mike Brennan is definitely priming himself for a job somewhere - I don't think he would jump locally.

Steve Donahue is back (replacing Jerome Allen at Penn)

The "too good to be true" coaching idea involves a Reno columnist suggesting the Reno BigHorns coach become the Nevada HC. For the unfamiliar, the Reno BigHorns are coached by a Grinnell disciple.

Steve Donahue is back (replacing Jerome Allen at Penn)

The "too good to be true" coaching idea involves a Reno columnist suggesting the Reno BigHorns coach become the Nevada HC. For the unfamiliar, the Reno BigHorns are coached by a Grinnell disciple.

The Grinnell coach's son, actually.

I've watched a bunch of Reno games this year. They're bonkers. Best part: You get to see the 7'5" 400-plus pound SIMM BHULAR play in this insane system.

yeah, I don't know if 'hockey shifts' is a viable idea for D1 basketball... but Nevada is in a league with dreadfully slow teams like SDSU and Wyoming, so if a coach could come in there and beat the slowball teams, that'd be awesome.

Five coaches improved on their pre-2014/15 record at their school and got fired anyways. Lennox Forrester/SIU-Edwardsville, Chuck Driesell/Citadel, Oliver Purnell/DePaul, Bill Grier/San Diego and Milan Brown/Holy Cross.

And four of the bottom 20 coaches in the drop from pre-14/15 to 2014/15 have already been fired/resigned. Those four being Hewitt/G. Mason, David Carter/Nevada, Dale Layer/Liberty, and Dick Hunsaker/Utah Valley. Next up on the list of coaches that have some time at their school and a drop this year? guys like Todd Bozeman (Morgan St), Dave Loos (Austin Peay), Randy Rahe (Weber St), Brian Jones (North Dakota), Bruiser Flint (Drexel), Billy Donlon (Wright St), and Donnie Jones (UCF).

Guys like Jim Crews (STL) and Greg McDermott (Creighton) lost a bit from last year to this year.

Craig Neal, Bruce Weber and Steve Alford are probably on the "Fired in a few years" list

I've always been surprised some no-name school didn't take on Grinnell's coach or an acolyte. I mean, if you're someone like Youngstown State or Central Arkansas, what do you have to lose? At the very least you'll get your name out there for the novelty factor.

I'm not sure I'd do that at Nevada. Nevada's one of those teams that pops up every so often as a fringe Top 25/5-12 game type program. There's no need to invent the wheel.

The La Salle coach ran hockey lines a loooong time ago. I think it was his first or second recruiting class so the lineup was a lot of freshmen and sophomores and a handful of stragglers from when he took over. They weren't going anywhere that season, so he wanted to give everyone as many minutes as possible. The five players came off as soon as they made a bad defensive blunder (missed assignment, etc.) and were pulled.

It didn't really last long, but it was an interesting experiment. A lot of fans hated it because the teams lost but they were going to lose anyways. Why not get your deep bench players some run just to see what they have in actual game play? It also added to defensive accountability. It was a good goofy twist in player development.

Tulane's team in the early 90s had a fun run with a cool substitution pattern. The five starters played a pretty traditional style of play. But then the could would bring in a bench united dubbed "The Posse" that played something akin to VCU's Havoc. That's so fun -- just the entire style of play changes with a substitution pattern. And he'd sub in and out accordingly from there.

The WCC is a hard conference to get any traction. Gonzaga is at another level. BYU and St. Mary's fluctuate as at-large type teams. BYU has a built-in advantage of being a football power that can get almost any high-level Mormon player they want out of high school. St. Mary's was the first school to really look to Australia as a recruiting base.

All of the other schools in the conference are small Catholic schools trapped in the shadow of bigger area programs and/or California state schools with D-1 programs. Loyola-Marymount has both UCLA, USC, a bunch of Big West California state schools and nearby conference rival Pepperdine to compete with. That's tough.

In Grier's first season, USD came an insane buzzer beater from Western Kentucky away from making the Sweet 16. They took down Connecticut in the first round. But now they're totally eclipsed the San Diego State.

It's still a really fun conference.

The Syracuse AD falls on his sword. And Boeheim somehow gets a THREE YEAR victory lap no one really wants to see since no one, outside of Syracuse fans/alum/etc., likes the dude. I'm guessing the strategy is he gets a few more recruiting classes in hopes to get one last Final Four run before he hands it up. I mean, the dude is a total scumbag. It's like Paterno -- he ran the program and is essentially untouchable for all the scumminess that happened.

The WCC is a hard conference to get any traction. Gonzaga is at another level. BYU and St. Mary's fluctuate as at-large type teams. BYU has a built-in advantage of being a football power that can get almost any high-level Mormon player they want out of high school. St. Mary's was the first school to really look to Australia as a recruiting base.

BYU is also honking ENORMOUS compared to every other school in the WCC.  Only one other program (USF) barely touches five digits for students.

The Syracuse AD falls on his sword. And Boeheim somehow gets a THREE YEAR victory lap no one really wants to see since no one, outside of Syracuse fans/alum/etc., likes the dude. I'm guessing the strategy is he gets a few more recruiting classes in hopes to get one last Final Four run before he hands it up. I mean, the dude is a total scumbag. It's like Paterno -- he ran the program and is essentially untouchable for all the scumminess that happened.

I think he wants to last long enough to see Roy Williams burn, if the NCAA isn't afraid of slapping Chapel Hill (I think they are scared)

Fordham fires their HC. So both teams from the Mason/Fordham A10 tourney game fired their coaches this week.

Funnily one of the reasons Hewitt was fired at Mason (and there were several) was because he had lost 4 straight games to Fordham

Pecora actually has some decent talent assembled at Fordham. That's a hard place to recruit for some reason. They have one of the best gyms in the country. And it's not some outdated facility, since the gym built roughly 100 years ago is surrounded by a food court and a bunch of other things. They're a bit strict with academic acceptances, but that has never stopped their football program from doing well in the sub-division. But they have a ton of schools to compete with for NYC talent -- there's St. John's in the Big East, Manhattan and Iona that are very good mid-majors within 10 miles, and what seems like 100 NEC schools and kids who want to leave for other cities.

Really curious to see who Fordham thinks they can get. Early guesses from Fordham folks: Andy Toole from Robert Mason, and the Bucknell, American and Stony Brook coaches.

La Salle's Dr. Giannini (a very good guy I like a ton) is a rumored candidate for the DePaul job. He's from Chicago and we actively recruit that area for some reason.

hopefully Fordham hires the coach from Robert Morris and not Robert Mason.

Also, the shortlist of coaches that could get fired post-2015/16 could include guys like UNLV's coach, or Tom Crean if Crean makes it that far, or Groce at Illinois?

I think Crean is safe on more year, if only because it would cost between 7 and 10 million to buy him out depending on when they do it.  Groce is a dead man walking, though.

Just the man to get Holy Cross a tournament vict--- *checks* nope, he coached at Northwestern for 13 years

He also got them into the NIT four straight years plus two 20-win seasons, which is basically sainthood for basketball coaches.

Carmody also replaced Carrill at Princeton. He was the coach when they had that AWESOME Top 10 team that lost to Mateen Cleaves and Michigan State. But second round loss aside, that Princeton team he coached was an absolute joy to watch.  He might be able to get Holy Cross going in a non-scholarship league.