DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2015 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Hey maybe they'll make a new Fallout game. That'd be cool.

Dude, get serious please.

Hear him out...there are so few character driven kart racers out there these days. Wasteland Racing starring the bobble head mascot will reignite the craze.

I'm not surprised about The Order especially after the disastrous week its been having. Ready at Dawn's approach to address the controversy didn't help things either.

"Haterade"

"Haters"

"It's not 5 hours long, but I won't tell you how long it'll be"

"Okay, okay, it's not 5 hours long, but it's 8 hours!" 

It's still too bad though. I remember getting really excited after watching the reveal trailer. Really looked forward to it at one point, but it's one of those games I might check out when there's a massive sale going on. I'm ready for a good 3rd person shooter though. It's too bad Vanquish didn't sell enough to warrant a sequel.

I may actually get The Order: 1886 today (and Evolve). Why? Because I think 'video game journalists' are a bunch of friggin' idiots and can't be trusted anymore.  IGN, Giant Bomb, Destructoid, etc. will give broken games like AC Unity 8's and 9's but a technically competent game like The Order: 1886 6's or 2 out of 5's due to a Youtuber posting a 5 hour playthrough.

The Order: 1886 may very well be an average game, but what's being held against it isn't fair.

There's also a conversation on Twitter that really swayed me towards getting it. Basically two of Kotaku writers and Adam from Digital Trends were making jokes over how The Order: 1886 is a 'shitty game.'

And before anyone gets the wrong idea and I think I'm being a Sony fanboy, I'm not. Ryse got the same treatment and a lot of people went on to say that they thought that was a great game.

Well that's dumb because Giant Bomb shit all over AC Unity, continues to shit on AC Unity, does their reviews out of 5 stars, and they gave it 2 out of 5 stars.

Maybe know what the fuck you're talking about.

• Like 1

Well that's dumb because Giant Bomb shit all over AC Unity, continues to shit on AC Unity, does their reviews out of 5 stars, and they gave it 2 out of 5 stars.

Assassins Creed Unity got terrible reviews across the board, because the game didn't work when they shipped it.  Say what you want about whether it is a good game now that it has been fixed, but that is pretty inexcusable. 

Assassins Creed Unity got terrible reviews across the board, because the game didn't work when they shipped it. Say what you want about whether it is a good game now that it has been fixed, but that is pretty inexcusable.

Craig wasn't disputing that the game didn't deserve it, he was saying that what POE said was dead wrong. Which it was.

I don't mind review scores as much as some, but I generally only care about scores of games I'm marginally interested in.  Evolve is a game that I had heard about and followed a little, but hadn't decided whether I wanted to play it or not.  The scores started coming in and I decided to actually read a couple of the articles to see exactly what it was that they liked.  Without those review scores, I probably wouldn't have read the articles to see if the game was something I wanted to buy.  I really like the game and it is something I probably wouldn't have played if the scores didn't pique my interest.  I think Borderlands is the ultimate game that I would have never played if there were no review scores.  I hadn't even heard of the game before the scores came out and then I realized it was right up my alley.  The scores serve a purpose, but they shouldn't be looked at as the be all end all of how a game is judged.

I don't mind review scores as much as some, but I generally only care about scores of games I'm marginally interested in.  Evolve is a game that I had heard about and followed a little, but hadn't decided whether I wanted to play it or not.  The scores started coming in and I decided to actually read a couple of the articles to see exactly what it was that they liked.  Without those review scores, I probably wouldn't have read the articles to see if the game was something I wanted to buy.  I really like the game and it is something I probably wouldn't have played if the scores didn't pique my interest.  I think Borderlands is the ultimate game that I would have never played if there were no review scores.  I hadn't even heard of the game before the scores came out and then I realized it was right up my alley.  The scores serve a purpose, but they shouldn't be looked at as the be all end all of how a game is judged.

But wouldn't that same thing be accomplished if a Borderlands or Evolve ended with:

"Summary - Holy hell! This game is great!"

And then we wouldn't have all the bullshit of "IGN gave this .01 point higher than this game! How much did EA pay them???" that we have to now.

But wouldn't that same thing be accomplished if a Borderlands or Evolve ended with:

"Summary - Holy hell! This game is great!"

And then we wouldn't have all the bullshit of "IGN gave this .01 point higher than this game! How much did EA pay them???" that we have to now.

If I'm between games sometimes I just go to IGN and look up reviews and see what games have 8.0s or higher.  For the most part I know what games are out there, but every once in a while something slips past my radar and those numbers help.  I use them like I use Rotten Tomatoes, there are plenty of movies I'll watch no matter what, but there are plenty I check out because the reviews surprised me.  I would have never seen Edge of Tomorrow, but I noticed it had a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, and I loved that movie.  Doing away with them because people are stupid takes away a fairly valuable resource for me.  I'd much rather ignore the stupid people, than change the system to shut up their stupidity.

• Like 1

I think reviews are fine, but to further stomp POE's idea in the ground, Giant Bomb continues to get further and further away from reviews because it's tedious and as they mentioned on their most recent Bombcast, they apply their opinion to nearly everything on the site. I think the Quick Looks are one of the most honest "review" formats out there. Someone sits down with a game that they've already been playing for awhile with another member from the site. The person who is not as familiar asks questions I feel most consumers would ask while the person who is experienced with the game plays it anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half. That's pretty much their review. Sometimes they just leave things with a Quick Look and other times they wind up publishing an actual review for whatever reason. In the case of the Order, they did both.

I think reviews are fine, but to further stomp POE's idea in the ground, Giant Bomb continues to get further and further away from reviews because it's tedious and as they mentioned on their most recent Bombcast, they apply their opinion to nearly everything on the site. I think the Quick Looks are one of the most honest "review" formats out there. Someone sits down with a game that they've already been playing for awhile with another member from the site. The person who is not as familiar asks questions I feel most consumers would ask while the person who is experienced with the game plays it anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half. That's pretty much their review. Sometimes they just leave things with a Quick Look and other times they wind up publishing an actual review for whatever reason. In the case of the Order, they did both.

You're absolutely right. This is Kinda Funny's "review" of the game. And by "review", I mean it's 2 guys having a 30 minute conversation about the game.

• Like 1

Also, WHO CARES! Sometimes games are shit. Typically, if a game takes that long to produce, chances are even greater that it's shit. That's not a bad thing and I get how that may disappoint folks, but the best thing that any gamer disappointed with bad word of mouth for a game or has distrusts for those views is to play it yourself. 

Yeah, POE was just flat out wrong.

Also, don't ship a busted ass game. For example, Halo MCC is still broken. Come the fuck on.

This is why I laugh when console gamers balk at "early access" games on PC just because they were honestly labelled what they are. If you are buying AAA console titles in their first three months now, you are blatantly in favor of early access as a model. It's an unavoidable consequence of the complexity of what's going on now.