DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

How the fuck can they top THAT? I mean the Angelico dive from last week was insane (sorry, no reports for either, I might do it next week. last week was out of town) but this... man. Even if he landed on a bunch of foam in reality that looked brutal. Worse were the chairshots, Mil really did look like he wanted to kill Fenix. The second one he just slung the fucker at him and it was so intense. And Mil RUNNING UP THE STAIRS WITH FENIX?! That really gives you a grasp of his strength. Also props to the cameraman who died for our pleasure.

In other news, Marty the Moth is surprisingly stiff, Daivari needs to fuck off, Mundo is still wooden as a rail, and all of us wish we were a tenth as athletic as Puma.

And also, are they really saying Fenix is literally dead?

I think the death they are talking about is Bael

Robert is an excitable chap prone to hyperbole.  There is no Wednesday night war 'cause it all be good!

NXT is shit and only dreams of being on the level of LU.

I'm an LU fan, but this is a dumb thing to say.

Mil Muertes came back like the monster he is and looked fantastic.  No complaints there (and I sure liked the looks of the black color scheme better than the previous blue).  But after he squashed Fenix like the flippy like flea he was I had to wonder - what the hell was the point of their whole feud?  I haven't revisited the episodes, but my recollection was that Catrina came on to Fenix in the locker room, she flipped to Fenix, Fenix and Mil scrapped around ending up in the Grave Consequences match that Fenix won, Catrina licked Mil, shut the coffin, and that was it.  

Then she came back last week with 3 goobers in masks and now she's at Mil's side like nothing ever happened....WTF is going on?  Seems like a real waste of a storyline that was never really fleshed out to begin with.  

Oh yeah, and Mantanza has to be the biggest, scariest thing to step into a wrestling ring since Mecha-Andre, right?  How the hell are they going to do justice to a character who just, I dunno, exploded a guy's head?

You need to rewatch all the Mil/Fenix/Catrina segments because Catrina said what her deal was and spelled everything out

Mostly in the lockerroom one, some in the revival coffin scene

They did it to steal power from Fenix and make Mil stronger, which worked because he had an actual physical transformation (white eyes)

• Like 3

Robert is an excitable chap prone to hyperbole. There is no Wednesday night war 'cause it all be good!

NXT is shit and only dreams of being on the level of LU.

I'm an LU fan, but this is a dumb thing to say.

Hey you replied to a two week old post buried pages back! Solid contribution as always!

• Like 1

You need to rewatch all the Mil/Fenix/Catrina segments because Catrina said what her deal was and spelled everything out

Mostly in the lockerroom one, some in the revival coffin scene

They did it to steal power from Fenix and make Mil stronger, which worked because he had an actual physical transformation (white eyes)

She needs to stop whispering, I couldn't make out half of what she said.  Plus I kept getting distracted by, uh, well, Dario's chair.

This show is crushing NXT hard and has been for months. I can't watch NXT after this as it's such a huge letdown, it's either on before or not at all.

That main event was another fucking insane entry in their terrific feud. Aero Star was great as always. Also, Mantanza ate a dude's face or something. Poor B-Boy. He should be put up in the arena or Dario's office as a trophy in the b-boy stance.

God damn what a show. I hate that real life got in the way of me watching it near live and marking out with everyone else watching.

So many amazing spots this week... the running tope into the chairshot, Fenix's dive wiping out the cameraLADY, Puma getting LAUNCHED and landing feet first before doing a tornillo, Fenix's tope no-sold by Mil & of course... DAT POWER BOMB! CHRIST ALL MIGHTY! And none of those spots were even by Aero Star!

I don't even know what to make of that final scene. Are we sure it wasn't just a flesh wound? With all this build up that charachter either has to be revealed as a crazy giant someone found in a foreign country or it needs to be the type of charachter we never actually get to see aside from in the shadows.

The only part of the show I disliked was the Sexy Star interview. She's so wooden. Thank god they're feeding her to the true monster Pentagon Jr. next week.

Oh... and re: the Muertes/Fenix deal - as I'm understanding it, Katrina used Fenix because she saw Mil Muertes was getting weak. She needed someone to kill him because "dying only makes him stronger". So she knew how to get under his skin and Fenix was the poor sap who fell for her charms (which is amazing if you know Fenix IRL). Once he did what she wanted, which was kill Mil Muertes, she had no use for him and is back with a stronger Mil which is what she wanted. The Disciples guys are a nice little bonus to the charachter and I'm sure will have some meaning down the road.

• Like 1

I just went to the Wikipedia page for Lucha Underground to look something up and it spoiled the entire rest of the season for me.

I didn't expect to get spoiled on Wikipedia of all places. So just a head's up to not visit that page, if you don't want to get spoiled.

I looked up Ricochet on CageMatch just to see if he has worked any shows in Mexico yet under the Prince Puma persona. Don't do it. They have already included the results from the remainder of the TV tapings in their matches section.

I'm super bummed I haven't had a chance to see this week's episode yet (real life got in the way) but I'm looking forward to it.  Heck, for this week I'm cool with spoilers, getting me excited for it.

Regarding Fenix, didn't he get that medallion?  Wouldn't that play a factor into his apparent demise?  Need to see the show to clarify this, but if true we could be getting pretty supernatural with this.

Oh, and for those curious about Angela Fong's story, per the Observer:

So this is the Angela Fong story deal. It's basically an idea taken from the Mortal Kombat series as the Dario Cueto character is based on Shang Tsung and the masked guy who is Fong's mentor is the protector of good Raiden. The working name for the masked guy is Dragon Azteca, although they could change since they haven't given him a name yet. The idea is he's the guy who was on the very first show that found Prince Puma as a kid in Boyle Heights without a mask and gave him the mask and made him Prince Puma. He's also the one who kidnapped Fong, Black Lotus, early in the season, as she was headed into the room to find Cueto's monster brother. He's going to be the top babyface character protecting over the people Cueto abuses. The idea is to start marketing the company around seven characters, which are Puma, King Cuerno, Mil Muertes, Dario's monster brother (not sure who will end up with that character), Dragon Azteca and two more, likely Mysterio and Alberto.

Also, the seven thing is from the seven Aztec tribes. Theres a few clues to this throughout the season but I think the idea has changed a bit since the Cuetos are one of the families and they're Spaniards...

Puma is related to one of the tribes.

Cuerno is too.

So is Dragon Azteca.

Three more families are all intertwined with this now

The Guerreros

The Cuetos

Black Lotus' family. Gonna go out on a limb and say they aren't Aztec descendants

That leaves one more, and unless we see some of the new trademarked characters like Moon Kobra my money is on number seven being the Mendozas

As in Pascual Mendoza aka Mil Muertes. Could be Catrina's family instead though.

Notice all of these but the Guerreros are LU creations and Chavo is an EP so he is locked in just as much.

Wikipedia's Lucha Underground page sucks.  It's a dumb mix of shoot and kayfabe.  They list Killshot's identity as "unknown" out of respect for "lucha traditions," but it links right to Shane Strickland's page.  Nice one.  Also, they have rules for photos where, I guess, the uploader has to have the rights to the photo and has to have taken it himself.  Since nobody on Wikipedia took a pic of Mil Muertes, they use a pic of Mesias instead.  Then Mr. Cisco is listed as "unknown" despite Lil Cholo being a wrestler forever and the other two member of the crew having their names listed.  smh

To be fair, I worked for years in companies with Lil' Cholo and never heard anybody refer to him as his shoot name. ;)

Also, the seven thing is from the seven Aztec tribes. Theres a few clues to this throughout the season but I think the idea has changed a bit since the Cuetos are one of the families and they're Spaniards...

Matty the Moth has Aztec blood in his veins, he's an obvious choice.  

I wonder if Dave actually watches the show. They've called him Dragon Azteca multiple times and he never calls Matanza by name either.

When did they call him Dragon Azteca?

I've heard him called that multiple times, including once this week. Who is Dragon Azteca? Is he a AAA regular under a new name?

I wonder if Dave actually watches the show. They've called him Dragon Azteca multiple times and he never calls Matanza by name either.

When did they call him Dragon Azteca?

During one of Black Lotus's exposition scenes she's writing in her journal and says the man who kidnapped her was named Dragon Azteca.

I happened to re-watch the very first episode of LU and you can hear his voice saying "Come with me," just like he tells Black Lotus when he takes her out of his trunk.  Confusion.