DVDVR Message Board

Parks and Recreation

Ellsworth Toohey

*Non finale related comment*

Ive started watching this over the last few weeks and it is so so great. Season 1 was awful but I stuck with it cos everyone said it really picks up for the 2nd season and..... I thought it was ok but it dragged.

Then season 3 came along and now im hooked.

Long story short- I now love the show and may need to rewatch season 2.

• Like 1

I think someone asked Sepinwall about that on Twitter, and his response was a curt "Don't count on it." And he's tight with Mike Schur, so I think he would know if Paul Schneider wasn't welcome back, for whatever reason.

It was a phenomenal final season, and the finale was good, but probably the least of the series finales that they did over the course of the show.

I expected them to aim more for sentimentality than laughs, and that's what I got, so no complaints. The only time I really laughed hard was when April was in labor and the camera whipped around to show her in the Halloween makeup.

It was a great episode, you should watch it. Really touching. At the end, Pratt sings them off with an infamous Parks & Rec song, Aubrey and Jim do something... weird, and a special cameo from a certain City Council member.

Oh, and Aubrey clearly mouths "Fuck You" in a tight reaction shot in response to something they do before the end of the show.

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Boy, that really sums up the show perfectly.   What a great ending.

I also like that they really emphasized that all of these people are better for having known and worked with each other.

That was pretty much the perfect finale.  The show was so tightly focused on Pawnee that it only makes sense to see what these characters could do in the wider world.  My only real regret is that we don't see what Andy is doing besides being married to April and still being a goon.

I did pretty well up until Garry's 100th birthday and then Ron canoeing.  Things got really dusty in my house after that.

One nice touch: the guy that asks them to repair the swing is played by Jon Daly, who was also the drunk that Leslie tries to get out of the slide in the pilot.

• Like 1

Man, the finale wrecked me. Maybe I have more of an affinity for this show since I live in Indiana and some of this stuff cracks me up more than others, but I really identified with some of the themes in the finale. For sure one of my all-time favorite TV shows. I will greatly, greatly miss the Parks and Rec gang.

I'm really happy they made it this far, especially when there was talk of not bringing it back after that first season, which is way better than people remember.

Except for Mark Brandonowicz. Fuck that guy.

• Like 2