DVDVR Message Board

Parks and Recreation

Ellsworth Toohey

On 4/24/2020 at 2:11 AM, Casey said:

Yeah, I'll watch it, because P&R is the best comedy to come out in the last decade (FIGHT ME), but I'm not too psyched that it's shot exclusively on webcams and stuff.

But ultimately I'll take whatever I can get.

I’d argue The Good Place, but it’s Mike Schur either way.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:54 PM, Craig H said:

More like Mark Brandanaquits.

I'll admit to being slightly leery of Rob Lowe joining the show (I thought bringing in Adam Scott was brilliant), but Rob Lowe's character Chris is so good and awesome and there were many tears for him later on.

Season 2 also begins to abandon the weird relationship with Andy and Ann and then that's rarely referred to again except maybe a couple times where Andy calls back to it.

The April/Ann tension is a result of that too, although rarely mentioned as such explicitly.

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

I’d argue The Good Place, but it’s Mike Schur either way.

I watched the first season - couldn't really get into it. I know people fall all over themselves about the show, but I never personally "got" it. Not at all in the same vein, but a similar situation: I didn't like Daredevil, but people LOVED it. Different strokes, I guess. For my money, either Parks & Rec or 30 Rock is the best comedy of the past decade, entirely depends on what kind of mood I'm in. If you told me I could only watch one or two comedy shows for the rest of my life, it'd be one of those.

On 4/27/2020 at 1:30 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'd recommend you start with season 2, as S1 is meh.  If you want to start from the beginning though, it's only 6 episodes, so it's fine.  

Know that the show gets much, MUCH better as soon as Mark (Paul Schneider) leaves the show around the end of season 2.  Though he was supposed to come back in some cameos later on, there was apparently a major rift between the creators and him, because he's never seen or referred to again.  And the show is much better off for it. 

Cheers for this, @Dolfan in NYC.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Words can't describe how big of a smile it put on my face to hear the Parks and Rec opening music again. Yeah, I know, I can literally hear it whenever I want, but this is a little different.

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2020 at 10:17 PM, Casey said:

I watched the first season - couldn't really get into it. I know people fall all over themselves about the show, but I never personally "got" it. Not at all in the same vein, but a similar situation: I didn't like Daredevil, but people LOVED it. Different strokes, I guess. For my money, either Parks & Rec or 30 Rock is the best comedy of the past decade, entirely depends on what kind of mood I'm in. If you told me I could only watch one or two comedy shows for the rest of my life, it'd be one of those.

I’d say the second season was probably the best/most rewatchable.  If you’re up for it, I’d give the first two or three episodes of that season a shot. If you don’t dig those then yeah, it’s definitely not for you.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 4/26/2020 at 6:37 PM, The Natural said:

Hello all. I started watching Parks and Recreation for the first time this year as it airs on Sky Comedy. I've caught episodes from different seasons and it's turned into one of my favourite TV shows. Leslie Knope, Ron Swanson and April Ludgate are my favourite characters. Might have to watch Parks and Rec from the beginning even though I've seen some episodes already including season openers. Would you recommend watching from the start? Reading the whole thread as well? Cheers.

Meant to make the following post sooner. Thoughts on Parks and Recreation as they come to me...

It's something seeing the show halfway through and then going from Season One with how different characters are, Ron Swanson in particular.

Season One is bad but is thankfully short at six episodes so you can get through it quickly. What a turnaround in quality from said season to each one that followed.

It's telling that Mark Brendanawicz was never brought back in later seasons and reunions on stage or the 2020 A Parks and Recreation Special. Not ever referred to. Says it all.

S2 got a boost by ditching the aforementioned above and adding Chris Traeger and Ben Wyatt to the cast.

My favourite seasons are Season 3, 4 and 5. If I have to say the best season of Parks and Rec, I'd go with S3.

S6 dropped in quality when Ann Perkins and Chris Traeger left in the middle of it.

I liked S7 more second go round than I did the first time. Didn't feel right having Leslie and Ron fallout.

Standout episodes: Ron and Tammy (S2, Ep8). The Master Plan (S2, Ep23), Ron and Tammy: Part Two (S3, Ep4), Harvest Festival (S3, Ep7), Eagleton (S3, Ep12), The Fight (S3, Ep13), Li'l Sebastian (S3, Ep16), The Trial of Leslie Knope (S4, Ep9), Win, Lose or Draw (S4, Ep22), Ron and Diane (S5, Ep9),  Leslie and Ben (S5, Ep14),  Ann and Chris (S6, Ep13), The Johnny Karate Super Awesome Musical Explosion Show (S7, So10 and One Last Ride (S7, Ep 12 and Ep13).

My three favourite characters are Ron Swanson, Leslie Knope and April Ludgate. Swanson is my #1. Mark Brendanawicz sucked. Really didn't like Craig either.

I LOVED A Parks and Recreation Special, 2020 is an all time bad year and the special was a much needed chicken soup for the soul. So well done under the circumstances. Had to watch it online as Sky Comedy's never shown it here.

I don't watch much TV. I do know that Parks and Recreation has become one of my favourite ever shows.

Looking forward to reading through the thread now. Hope Dolfan doesn't close it as it was on page 2 and the last post prior to this was the 4th of May. As noted, I intended to do this post sooner. Better late than never!

Cheers.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1