Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, J.H. said:

WAIT... I'm confused... Is it Harry or Norman?

Because that looks like Norman

James

 

Spoiler

You're not alone in the confusion, others have said the same thing. It's Harry. When Kindred was revealed to be Harry in TASM (Vol. 5) #50, Nick Spencer and Nick Lowe stated it was Harry as did Norman Osborn. Spencer said the same thing in an interview he gave. The Gotcha as well points to Harry. I don't think it wouldn't go down well if it's a swerve from one character, Harry to now Norman.

 

Edited by The Natural
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2020 at 7:49 AM, The Natural said:

Speaking of Kindred, I hate...

  Hide contents

...that it's a mask as revealed in TASM (2018) #53. That changes what came before now knowing that and to come.

 

For the most part, I don't feel like it changes anything for me, but I thought 

Spoiler

that his face was bandaged.  From a story - and sales - perspective, I didn't really expect him to be disfigured underneath the bandages.  Editorial probably still wanted him to be recognizable as Harry.  But it is a weird story beat for some sort of creature from Hell (probably) to wear a rubber mask though it does sort of explain why his "bandages" looked reminiscent of a Goblin mask.

I have no idea why artists still draw those odd horizontal lines in Norman and Harry's hair.  What are those supposed to be?  Corn rows?  Bad dye job?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason I got confused is because Harry always used to be drawn with a more narrow face. That was a mandate in the old bullpen so people could actually tell the difference between Harry and Norman

James

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2020 at 11:40 AM, odessasteps said:

Daredevil may be the longest running Marvel silver Age book with tjhe longest strecthes of average/mediocre books. Most folks would say theres almost nothing memorable until the Miller era and thats in the 150s. Iron Man might be close.

I was curious about this and started reading some of the pre-Miller stuff. I was expecting it to be be hokey Silver Age shit at its worst, but there are some really good stories, and Colan's art is fantastic. I've only been reading selected issues, but they compare favorably to the other comics Marvel was putting out in the late 60s-early 70s. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2020 at 11:50 AM, Matt D said:

So far X of Swords is wonderfully absurd, totally imaginative, and completely impenetrable. The amount of obscure MU knowledge you need to know to follow along is huge, and that's on top of the really complex new mythos Hickman has been building. If you haven't been reading Cable and Excalibur, at the least, forget it.

i am now halfway through reading X of Swords (i waited until it finished being published before beginning a read) and i absolutely love it. the history of Apocalypse (and his Horsemen) is SO FUCKING GOOD!  I think Hickman's run is brilliant, but i am curious how this will hold up over time. first, does everything revert when his stint as writer is over? how much credit does he receive/relinquish for creating an entirely new status quo that is crazy and imaginative but essentially ignoring so much that's happened to these characters the last 20 years? Like, in 2030, will Hickman's run be essential reading, or will it just be this weird aside that happened one time?

i don't know what's happening in the current Cable (when did he get young?) or Excalibur (Psylocke = Captain Britain?) but i don't think it's affected the read much. I feel they've done a decent job of alluding to enough to connect the dots (at least for me: i read all the X-Men comics from the beginning until 2000 a couple years back, so a lot of that semi-obscure stuff is still fairly fresh). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2020 at 7:20 PM, The Natural said:

If This Be My Destiny. TASM #31-33.

read this storyline during the Thanksgiving break. Thought it was excellent. Immediately upon finishing, i wondered if it was on your list. Cheers, @The Natural. I don't think i'll do this for each individual story but wanted to call out how right you were on this one.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, twiztor said:

read this storyline during the Thanksgiving break. Thought it was excellent. Immediately upon finishing, i wondered if it was on your list. Cheers, @The Natural. I don't think i'll do this for each individual story but wanted to call out how right you were on this one.

Cheers, @twiztor. Appreciate that. Glad you enjoyed If This Be My Destiny.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i am now halfway through reading X of Swords (i waited until it finished being published before beginning a read) and i absolutely love it. the history of Apocalypse (and his Horsemen) is SO FUCKING GOOD!  I think Hickman's run is brilliant, but i am curious how this will hold up over time. first, does everything revert when his stint as writer is over? how much credit does he receive/relinquish for creating an entirely new status quo that is crazy and imaginative but essentially ignoring so much that's happened to these characters the last 20 years? Like, in 2030, will Hickman's run be essential reading, or will it just be this weird aside that happened one time?

i don't know what's happening in the current Cable (when did he get young?) or Excalibur (Psylocke = Captain Britain?) but i don't think it's affected the read much. I feel they've done a decent job of alluding to enough to connect the dots (at least for me: i read all the X-Men comics from the beginning until 2000 a couple years back, so a lot of that semi-obscure stuff is still fairly fresh). 

I don't think this bit is fair. There are things which are dusted under the rug and there are questions from House/Power on what timeline we're in and what might be changed, etc., but I think Hickman hasn't dropped anything. Sunspot led his own Avengers team. Magik was part of the Extinction Team. Iceman is out of the closet. Emma has had all of the growth and then some and her relationship with Kitty is very much at the other end of the looking glass of decades. Havok has Axis and the weirdo run from two years ago behind him. It's all there in the characters if not in the plot. I've read every X-book for the last 15 years and nothing feels dropped to me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I don't think this bit is fair. There are things which are dusted under the rug and there are questions from House/Power on what timeline we're in and what might be changed, etc., but I think Hickman hasn't dropped anything. Sunspot led his own Avengers team. Magik was part of the Extinction Team. Iceman is out of the closet. Emma has had all of the growth and then some and her relationship with Kitty is very much at the other end of the looking glass of decades. Havok has Axis and the weirdo run from two years ago behind him. It's all there in the characters if not in the plot. I've read every X-book for the last 15 years and nothing feels dropped to me.

then i rescind my statement. i've not followed X-comics of that era, but i don't see anything that i missed really being followed up on. no mention of the O5, Utopia, things like that.

but from someone who did read those books, i'm glad that you don't see stuff dropped completely. thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, twiztor said:

i don't know what's happening in the current Cable (when did he get young?) or Excalibur (Psylocke = Captain Britain?) but i don't think it's affected the read much.

A new young version of Cable popped up in the run before Hickman's. He killed the original version. Never finished the run so I can't say the reasons offhand. I wasn't super fond of the change as I just don't have an interest in a young Cable. Betsy becoming Captain Britain happened in the first issue or two of the current Excalibur run. She is also back in her original body. Kwannon kept the Psylocke name.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2020 at 4:34 AM, The Natural said:

https://www.cbr.com/tag/top-100-comic-book-runs/

Comic Book Resources Top 100 Comic Book Runs. It's done every four years as readers send a 10-1 ballot ranking their favourite runs. I voted, think I did in 2016 as well.

The Lee-Romita era Spider-Man came in at 50. I thought it would do better than that, maybe top ten.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tbarrie said:

The Lee-Romita era Spider-Man came in at 50. I thought it would do better than that, maybe top ten.

I didn't vote, but my ballot would probably be slanted heavily towards the mid-80's and later (Modern Age).  There's very little from before that period that I really enjoy.  JM Dematteis' Defenders run is probably about the point I really start getting into comics for art and writing.  Miller started writing Daredevil around that same time (irrc, he signed as on the book's penciler in late '79 and took over as the writer about a year later).

I've read most of the major classic runs, but they... don't hold up for me, I guess.  I'm not a fan of Ditko, Lee, Kirby, etc.  If I'm reading comics from the 70's or before, it's probably because the run is regarded as a classic and is historically significant.  If it's a book from the 60's or earlier, I'm definitely reading it for historical significance.   

The one exception might be Denny O'Neill.  I don't love his work from the 70's, but it's more interesting and ambitious than what most other writers were doing (though I'd much prefer to read Question than any of his 70's books).

I didn't start consistently enjoying the scripting in comics until the British Invasion hit DC in the late 80's.  Moore had been on Swamp Thing for a couple years before I started reading it.  I ended up paying pretty hefty back issue prices for the first 12-18 issues.  

FWIW, I'm not saying Lee/Ditko books are bad.  It's entirely a me thing,  Not liking early Spider-Man or FF might just be proof that I'm a philistine who had his soul sucked out with a straw and has horrible taste as a result.

 

 

Edited by Eoae
typo; confused names
Link to post
Share on other sites

I presume you mean when Moore on Swamp Thing in the 80s. Morrison only co wrote one arc with Millar (around 140) before leaving the book and Millar wrote the last 40 ish issues before that volume was ended

Edited by odessasteps
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I presume you mean when Moore on Swamp Thing in the 80s. Morrison only co wrote one arc with Millar (around 140) before leaving the book and Millar wrote the last 40 ish issues before that volume was ended

Yeah, I meant to reference the Moore run and typed "Morrison" by mistake.   Thanks for catching that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of events, which are the best and worst by Marvel? Secret Wars (2015) is my #1. That's one of the best I've ever read. I'd say the same for War of the Realms  (2019) considering how long it was brought up in Jason Aaron's Thor run before it finally happened. Worst, Civil War II (2016). I can understand people putting the original Civil War (2006-2007) with it.

Edited by The Natural
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2020 at 11:22 PM, The Natural said:

Speaking of events, which are the best and worst by Marvel?

Infinity Gauntlet and Age of Apocalypse are my top two. order depends on which day you ask me.

worst? Secret Wars II (1985). what a mess. haven't read Civil War 2 but i also haven't heard from anyone who enjoyed it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There a ton of events I have not read. So far for me though Annihilation and the general series of cosmic events that spanned off of it are the best to me. Infinity Gauntlet, Secret Wars, & War of the Realms were also pretty damn good.

Worst one I have read off the top of my head is probably AXIS.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2020 at 11:49 PM, twiztor said:

then i rescind my statement. i've not followed X-comics of that era, but i don't see anything that i missed really being followed up on. no mention of the O5, Utopia, things like that.

but from someone who did read those books, i'm glad that you don't see stuff dropped completely. thank you.

It's not every page and it's not every book, but it can pop up at any moment.

Case in point, this week's X-Factor. Nominally, X-Factor is about a team (Polaris, Northstar, Eye-Boy, Rachel Summers, Daken, and Prodigy, if I'm not forgetting anyone) and their adventures around the resurrection protocols. Because of that, we see a decent amount of the Five that bring mutants back (Elixir, Proteus, Hope, Goldballs/Egg, Tempus), but in the issue, there was a page that was randomly just Emma and Dani Moonstar talking about the kids that they taught and that they keep losing and why Emma gets hurt again and again. You almost couldn't write that page at any other point of Emma's development in her 40 years of being a character. That Dani's the one who's talking to her feels poignant for about three different reasons (She's a valkyrie, she was antagonized by Emma as a kid and knew the original Hellions well, she taught the kids during the New Mutants v2/Academy X days), but again, I don't know if it would be possible at almost any other point. It's not at all the sort of thing Morrison would have written as he just picked and chose what he wanted to focus on, and that it was possible in the middle of this comic which isn't really about these characters, but it also felt perfectly natural, but most people reading probably wouldn't have been able to understand exactly why Dani was the one to talk to her like that as opposed to Kitty or Storm or Scott... etc.

That's just where we are now with this run. Every era. Everything counts. It tries to synthesize it all, often in the smallest ways.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...