DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #49 AKA #850 in LGY Numbering written by Nick Spencer and the artists are Ryan Ottley, Humberto Ramos and Mark Bagley in The Return of the Green Goblin. The issue begins with well written and illustrated tributes to the late, great Chadwick Boseman by his friend Ta-Nehisi Coates, Brian Stelfreeze and Joshua “Sway” Swaby.

Spider-Man and the Green Goblin have to fight out of Ravencroft Institute away from the Sin-Eater with Juggernaut’s powers and his followers. What a terrific issue this was! You get Spider-Man having to team-up with his archenemy after all he’s inflicted on Pete’s life. Spencer writes Norman incredibly well. How Green Was My Goblin/The End of the Green Goblin from TASM (Vol. 1) #39-40 is rightly referred to and I really liked the new additions to it: Norman’s hurt by revealing his secret identity to Peter and Parker not understanding him when he thought he would as they both wore masks. The second, Norman in debt to Parker saving him in said battle. Both of these have increased my already high appreciation of TASM (Vol. 1) #39-40 which resides in my top three out of fifty Spider-Man stories best of. During this story there’s brief admiration between the two before the loathing resumes.

The reader thinks the same of Sin-Eater asking why Spider-Man would save Norman Osborn from him and Spider-Gwen saying its Peter’s choice to make and not ours, the Order of the Web. What choice would you make? Norman Osborn creeps/leers at Gwen Stacy, she and Peter Parker put him in his place. Osborn’s an evil bastard. We don’t find out Kindred’s identity. I thought it would be here as I did in TASM (Vol. 5) #25. I think that will take place in TASM (Vol. 5) #50 to mark that milestone and the start of Last Remains. It’s either pre-OMD Peter Parker, the original Gwen Stacy or Harry Osborn with a dark horse in Ezekiel Sims. Sins Rising/The Return of the Green Goblin is one of Nick Spencer’s best Spider-Man arc. The issue has other creative team stories, unnecessary padding.

I thought ASM #49 was bad, especially since the creative team apparently doesn't know how Juggernaut's powers work, even though he's been a Marvel mainstay for 40+ years.

(And of course it totally ignores what's happened to Juggernaut in the X-books lately or in the new mini)

• Like 1

Kindred's identity is finally revealed in today's issue of The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #50. Interior art follows...

Spoiler

1.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

Kindred is Harry Osborn. Harry was a guess of mine. When I found out, I wasn't sure what I thought. Leaning towards liking it. This Harry Osborn must be the one that died in The Spectacular Spider-Man #200, Best of Enemies and the Harry Osborn since Brand New Day is a clone/fake. Kudos to Nick Spencer keeping a mystery villain going from his debut in The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #1 to the reveal now and the fan speculation about who it was. Took till TASM (Vol. 5) #25 to get the character's name, Kindred. @Matt D called it right.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Ever since I saw him mentioned as a theory he was the only one who made sense to me even with as little Spider-Man as I've read.

Agreed. Let us know if you want any Spider-Man reading recommendations, mate. I've read a lot of Spider-Man, second only to Batman.

On 10/14/2020 at 7:36 PM, J.H. said:

Wait... Did they say it was Harry and reveal his face, I ask because Norman has another son

James

Not in the issues.  The comic has

Spoiler

Norman being asked why he wants to get help for KIndred.  When asks why, he cries "Because he's my son.")

However, Spencer is doing press interviews this week and confirmed that it really is that character.  No tricks.  Says the plot twists are in the why and how, not the who.

• Like 1

So I have issues with the Kindred reveal.  It means that either Mephisto screwed up or he kept the old Harry around for some unknown reason (and, remember that it was retconned so that MJ made the deal with Mephisto, so keeping Harry around would mean less...although I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel forgot that like they've forgotten that Loki owes Pete a favor).  And I assume that they're going to say that he escaped from Hell because Mephisto's been locked up in Las Vegas, although then why wouldn't he have escaped earlier during the whole King of Hell storyline in X-Factor or the followup in Thunderbolts?

Finally read Amazing Spider-Man: 2099. It was ok. The secret sister has always been a weird thing to me, but I don't hate seeing her get used. The 2099 aspects are what seemed off. It never really came together to make a sensible story and felt purely like an excuse to power that device that I assume will have a bigger role down the line. That should have been pulled in a one and done.

Also read Dawn of X Vol. 1. Was just going to read the books as separate volumes, but only two were available at the library. So far I'm glad I ended up going this route as I didn't realize how much connectivity there was going to be between them. So far none of books feel amazing or anything, but they generally are running interesting and/or fun ideas. The weakest one for me was probably X-Force or Fallen Angels. Kwannon isn't a character who interests me. Her relationships with people in the book make little sense considering her past, and keeping the name & look of Psylocke is just bullshit. Its a different character. Play off of that instead of trying to keep that running without Betsy. Even saying all of that I actually think the book was decent enough. Will be interesting to see how things go with the rest of the volumes.

• Like 1

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #50 written by Nick Spencer, the artist is Patrick Gleason in Last Remains: Part One. We get significant fallout from where TASM (Vol. 5) #49/850 in LGY Numbering left us. This was a great issue, only the third #50 in the book’s history for that and significantly the issue builds and builds to the reveal of Kindred’s identity:

Spoiler

Kindred is Harry Osborn, one of my guesses. I think it’ll reveal this is the Harry Osborn who died in The Spectacular Spider-Man #200’s Best of Enemies, sent to hell turned into Kindred. The Harry Osborn since Brand New Day will be false, a clone.

Patrick Gleason’s art fits the tone and horror of the story. The first page, a splash for Kindred is so well done. This is a dark story.

The issue collects the previous issue’s tributes to the late, great, Chadwick Boseman. The front cover has a Rest in Power Chadwick Boseman 1976-2020 banner/header and the back cover, a drawing of Boseman as Black Panther by Bernard Chang. Well done Marvel.

On 10/18/2020 at 6:33 PM, Eivion said:

Finally read Amazing Spider-Man: 2099. It was ok. The secret sister has always been a weird thing to me, but I don't hate seeing her get used. The 2099 aspects are what seemed off. It never really came together to make a sensible story and felt purely like an excuse to power that device that I assume will have a bigger role down the line. That should have been pulled in a one and done.

It's the worst Nick Spencer Spider-Man story by far. Just a letdown of an arc I looked forward to with Spider-Man 2099 back. Miguel O'Hara is hardly in it and the story has too much going on. The device you mention led to a great one and done by Nick Spencer in TASM (Vol. 5) #37 fittingly called Time, For a Change.

Read Dawn of X Vols. 2-6. Fallen Angels remains the weakest of the books. It wasn't not bad per say, but it was a personal story focusing on a character its hard to give a damn about while also underserving the rest of its cast. Feels like the only important part of it was likely the ending with Sinister receiving what was left of Overclock. Marauders was a generally fun book. I like the premises with Kitty and co. saving stranded mutants and infighting with Krakoan politics. Not sure I like the Hellfire brats returning though I do kind of like former X-Men enemies coming together so much to screw things up. X-Force focusing on the counter-intelligence side of thing instead of just being a kill squad was a neat idea. So far its generally solid if nothing amazing. Excalibur was another fun book, and I generally dig what its building with Apocalypse. Looking forward to seeing how that plays out with X of Swords. New Mutants is somewhat troublesome. The Hickman story with Roberto and co. is pretty fun. I like seeing Hickman return to some of the characters he wrote in his Avengers run and getting to fulfill some of his cosmic/Shiar writing wishes. The Brisson side is actually solid as well with the character work and new issues that come with mutants having their own nation. The problem I have is the two being in the same book and switching around. Its rather annoying, especially since the Hickman side of things is far more interesting to me. Not sure why they weren't just two separate books altogether. X-Men is interesting. It doesn't really have a real team dynamic so much as it serves to build the greater story Hickman is telling in general. In some respects its reminiscent of Hickman's Avengers run except I feel like there is more character involved within the storytelling though its not quite on the level as say his New Avengers. All that said, it doesn't really work best as a book on its own though its far from bad. So far the new world of X-Men is very interesting. I'm not sure I could call any of straight up good yet its certainly the most interesting things have been since I started reading current X-books this past decade.

10 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

ive been on the fence with getting the Miles Morales Spiderman Omnibus. The one where he is in the Marvel Universe not the Ultimate universe. Having read 0 Miles Morales would it be worth it? $50 or so 

From the parts I've read including the opening arc, I didn't like Miles Morales in the Marvel Universe. Instead I'd recommend Miles Morales: Spider-Man, first printing 2019 collecting Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man #1-10. You get to see Miles Morales in the Ultimate Universe, meet Miles and his supporting cast. That's better.

Edited by The Natural

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

From the parts I've read including the opening arc, I didn't like Miles Morales in the Marvel Universe. Instead I'd recommend Miles Morales: Spider-Man, first printing 2019 collecting Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man #1-10. You get to see Miles Morales in the Ultimate Universe, meet Miles and his supporting cast. That's better.

My review of Miles Morales: Spider-Man I recommend to you and the volume after:

Miles Morales: Spider-Man contains material originally published in magazine form as Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man #1-10 written by Brian Michael Bendis and drawn by Sara Pichelli, Chris Samnee and David Marquez. This is the second printing dated 2019. The reason for this is to capitalize on Miles Morales’ showing in the excellent Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) movie or who missed out on this back in the day. I originally read this through the first two TPB released way back when. We’re introduced to Miles Morales/his family, how Miles acquires his Spider powers and the reactions to those from him, Aunt May/Gwen Stacy and villains. I really enjoyed this. It’s however missing Ultimate Fallout #4, Miles Morales first appearance pre-dating these issues. Bad omission that.

Miles Morales: With Great Power contains material originally published in magazine form as Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man #11-22 and #16.1 written by Brian Michael Bendis and drawn by Sara Pichelli, David Marquez and Pepe Larraz. This is the second printing dated 2019. I think it’s to capitalize on Miles Morales’ showing in the excellent Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) movie. Unlike Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man #1-10, I hadn’t read this before. Miles Morales and Uncle Aaron Davis go at it, Spider-Man gets a talking to from Captain America as the Ultimates face HYDRA and a Venom emerges. I liked this though not as much as Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man #1-10. I did like how Aunt May, Mary Jane Watson and Gwen Stacy try to help the new Spider-Man having gone what they went through with Peter Parker’s Spider-Man. Spiky Gwen Stacy takes it verbally to Captain America.

• Like 1

Nick Spencer’s Spider-Man - The Good.

• The Superior Foes of Spider-Man is one of the best and most unique Spider-Man stories ever. TSFOSM is the funniest comic book I’ve ever read. TSFOSM places in my top ten of fifty Spider-Man stories.
  • Nick Spencer gets the voices right of the characters particularly Peter Parker, Mary Jane Watson, Black Cat and Norman Osborn. Peter Parker’s inner narration is a frequent highlight.
  • Nick Spencer fixing Dan Slott’s fouls: Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson are back together, Spider-Man is competent and redeeming Black Cat. Big plus points for Spencer.
  • Great stories in Back to Basics from TASM (Vol. 5) #1-5. Sins Rising/The Return of Norman Osborn from TASM (Vol. 5) #44-49 and Heist in TASM (Vol. 5) #7-9.
  • Genuine surprises along the way: The aforementioned reuniting of Peter and MJ. The bandaged character who debuted in TASM (Vol. 5) #1 speculating the character’s identity. Took a while for us to even find the actual name, Kindred as revealed in TASM (Vol. 5) #24. The Sin-Eater brought back.
  • The book is funny.
  • References to The Superior Foes of Spider-Man written by Nick Spencer. That’s a fantastic book. I welcomed the returns of the creative team behind it, Spencer/Steve Lieber/Rachelle Rosenberg in TASM (Vol. 5) #6-7.
  • Good one and done issues in TASM (Vol. 5) #24, #25 and #37.

Nick Spencer’s Spider-Man - The Bad

• 2099 sucked. This arc was a real disappointment. There’s barely any Spider-Man 2099, he appears and then quickly disappears. Too much things going on. Patrick Gleason deserved better for his first arc on the book.
  • Hunted was poorly paced. The main arc in TASM would be better served by shortening it to four issues, 6 in total counting the Road to and Epilogue instead of the eight we got.
  • Only half of the TASM (Vol. 5) HU issues were worth reading. TASM (Vol. 5) #16.HU on Black Cat and TASM (Vol. 5) #18.HU about the Gibbon.
  • Rotating door of artists. Shame Ryan Ottley, Patrick Gleason and Humberto Ramos though he’s hit and miss aren’t on the book more.

On 9/18/2020 at 1:45 AM, The Natural said:

gYTmn8cgc9uKXNVAqXQ4sC-970-80.jpg.webp

PCQtxWUcfwr4ho2d2KKNcB-970-80.jpg.webp

Great covers by Patrick Gleason for the Amazing Spider-Man #54 and the Amazing Spider-Man #55 as revealed in the December 2020 solicitations recently released.

Another great cover by Patrick Gleason here:

STL165185.jpg

Please can I have Captain America story arc recommendations and the same for Daredevil?

I've read a good chunk of Ed Brubaker's first run on the Captain America book, Civil War by Mark Millar/Joseph Michael Straczynski/Brian Michael Bendis, Brubaker's Captain America and Bucky series, Castaway in Dimension Z by Rick Remender, Nick Spencer's Secret Empire and Mark Waid's Captain America #695-704.

I've only read Daredevil: Born Again, Daredevil: The Man Without Fear, a couple of issues from Mark Waid's Daredevil run and the first TPB of Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil. That's it. I'm missing out on more Frank Miller and a total blind spot (pun not intended) by BMB and Brubaker.

Thanks!

Edited by The Natural

The Mark Waid Captain America is pretty good actually. I am extremely partial to the Brubaker Captain series.  The whole run from Death of Captain America on is incredible and some of his best work. 

I also have been on a huge Daredevil kick and recommend Frank Miller's work even though some of it doesn't hold up as much as it should in 2020.  If you like a darker story I would go Brubaker and Bendis.  Waid's version is more laid back than the crime noir of Brubaker/Bendis. 

• Like 2