DVDVR Message Board
odessasteps

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

I’d argue Starman wasn’t the same after Tony left the book and Grand Guingol went on way too long. 

The funny thing about Slott’s Run is just how many different relationships Peter has had. Him being paired with Mockingbird just seems so weird. 

I feel like Slott's had enough big ideas for the length of his run, but has trouble filling them out meaningfully. Sort of an inverse Bendis on Ultimate Spider-man situation.

Unrelated, but the first issue of Donny Cates' Doctor Strange was pretty darn fun.

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:27 AM, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Whoever was supposed to sell me on Aaron's Thor run so I became hooked on it did not do their job.  I think I picked up an issue or two early on, but wasn't really sold.  Aaron's Woverine and the X-Men run was probably fresh in my mind (didn't like that at all).

On a whim, grabbed a couple Thor tpb's from the library.  Turned out to be the first three Jane Foster as Thor trades.

OK, I'm hooked.  Seriously hooked.  When I get some time, I'm going to Comicbookdb to get a complete list of Aaron's Thor-related run, then to Amazon to drop some cash.

Is the Thors mini-series that came out during Secret Wars relevant to the ongoing books?

Also, I'm completely unfamiliar with the artist drawing Thor, but the art in the trades I read was pretty damn great.

Second @Eivion's God Butcher recommendation. I'd go for Thor: Who Will Wield The Hammer? and Thunder in her Veins, both Jane Foster Thor so I'm not sure if those are among the ones you've read. I tend to have to piece the run order together from what's at my library. Thors is good as a standalone tribute to Thors past and present. The artist is Esad Ribic and he's great. Check out Secret Wars drawn by him and written by Jonathan Hickman, one of the best event books I've read.

21 hours ago, Matt D said:

I don't necessarily have anything against Slott's ASM run, but there's a reason they switch up creative teams after a while. Whenever he drops a "brand new status quo" issue, you get the strong sense of diminishing returns. 

20 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Yeah, Spider-Man has had it's share of high points under Slott - and I loved Superior Spider-Man - but it really does think he's running on fumes.

I actually like longish runs.  In general, I don't think 5-7 years is too long a run if the writer is motivated. I'd prefer a seven-year run with some slow periods to changing creative teams and status quo every two years or so, as is the norm these days.  But, realistically, most writers don't have plans for seven years of stories when they sign on, or they lose interest and move on to other projects.   Neither the marketplace or the business model is set up for a years-long run.  Starman and David's Hulk run are the outliers (and there are plenty of down periods in David's Hulk).

Slott's an odd one for me.  I've mostly enjoyed his ASM run - and Superior was outstanding - but i don't consider him a great writer or one of my favorites.  At the moment, i have virtually no interest in reading anything else Slott has written or seeing him jump to a new book after he leaves ASM.

This. Dan Slott should have gone a while ago, Superior Spider-Man ending was the right time. Best comic run for me is Grant Morrison's Batman.

It feels like the end of Superior would have been the logical jumping off point for Slott.  He had already told a lot of stories by the time Superior rolled around and the ending of Superior paid off most of what he'd been setting up in ASM, as well as putting Pete  back in the mask and reaffirming that Peter Parker wanted to be Spider Man.  It was also a fitting conclusion to Ock's character arc.  For me, most of the fun stuff had already taken place by the end of Superior.  What's been done since then has been a case of diminishing returns.  I did enjoy Spider-verse a lot.

It seems likely that Slott's actual departure from the book will feel less important that it would have if he had left when Pete reclaimed the Spidey identity.

I actually dislike most of Peter Parker's character development under Slott, from the multiple relationships to becoming (fairly easily) a "sooper scientist' to becoming Tony Stark-lite.  The reinvention of his character after Superior as a jet-setting tech billionaire was probably a bad idea.

• Like 1

Axel Alonso is leaving Marvel. C.B. Cebulski is the new Editor-in-Chief.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ace said:

First reaction is: not Brevoort?

9 minutes ago, Ace said:

Talent Scout in Chief

The Amazing Spider-Man: Worldwide Vol. 3: Power Play collects The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 4) #1, #12-15 and The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #19. The material taken from The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 4) #1 was the surprise return of Regent from the Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 1): Renew Your Vows. In Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 4) #12-15, Regent is doing what he did in the original Renew Your Vows taking powers but this time he’s in the mainstream Marvel Universe. I got this from my library to see how it was. I didn’t like this story: Peter Parker and Tony Stark are very unlikeable with petty squabbling, such a difference to the Peter in the Renew Your Vows miniseries. The younger Miles Morales’ Spider-Man behaves better than these two. Regent’s a one-note villain as in the miniseries but I preferred his reasoning there. I’m not a fan of Peter Stark. Parker Industries suited Otto Octavius more when he was in control of Pete’s body.

As noted here before, I liked most of Dan Slott’s solo run on The Amazing Spider-Man from (Vol. 1) #648’s Big Time to The Superior Spider-Man with some classics. I’m thinking the first Big Time story in #648-651, Revenge of the Spider-Slayer #652-654, No-One Dies #655-656, Spider-Island #666-673, Dying Wish #698-#700 and the Superior Spider-Man. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3) was bad, The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 1): Renew Your Vows was the last thing of his I rated and The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 4) made me cancel the book when I should’ve done it sooner, into Vol. 3. My opinion on Dan Slott’s Spidey has dropped as a result.