DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

When in the history of comics has a LINE come together though?  

DC on the march to Infinite Crisis (save for Batman/Superman and that's about it. They blew the landing). The Nick Lowe era of X-Men. Early-Mid Shooter in the 80s?

When else?

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Waid's !mpact line

By that logic Year 1-2 of Crossgen.

I'd consider 94-96 DC too (Archie LSH, Waid on Flash/Impulse, Kesel on Superboy, Marz on GL, David on Aquaman, Dixon on Bat-books), to a degree, but it wasn't perfect by any means.

So, one of the things I'm regularly thinking about doing and haven't is reading the big stories of Spider-man. Aside from Slott's run a few arcs before Spider Island to Superior Spider-man I really have only caught crossover issues in other events. What would people suggest as the more worthwhile stuff and a decent place to start? I know I've been interested in Kraven's Last Hunt since before I even really started to read comics but figured I should start with other stories about him first.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

When in the history of comics has a LINE come together though?  

DC on the march to Infinite Crisis (save for Batman/Superman and that's about it. They blew the landing). The Nick Lowe era of X-Men. Early-Mid Shooter in the 80s?

When else?

Claremont era X-men?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

So, one of the things I'm regularly thinking about doing and haven't is reading the big stories of Spider-man. Aside from Slott's run a few arcs before Spider Island to Superior Spider-man I really have only caught crossover issues in other events. What would people suggest as the more worthwhile stuff and a decent place to start? I know I've been interested in Kraven's Last Hunt since before I even really started to read comics but figured I should start with other stories about him first.

Claremont era X-men?

Yeah this is good. Claremont was juggling Uncanny, New Mutants, Excalibur and Wolverine at any given time. Heck even after he left New Mutants he had Louise Simonson (along with Ann Nonceti editing) taking notes from hom him about character potrayals and story ideas. Together they pretty much mapped out the entire Mutant Massacre

James

On 7/5/2017 at 9:12 PM, Eivion said:

Second to Batman, I’ve read more big Spider-Man stories so I can help you, @Eivion. I’ve a document for my comic book reviews including rankings for best ever Batman and Spider-Man stories. My top 10 Spidey stories:

1. The Night Gwen Stacy Died/The Goblin’s Last Stand. The Amazing Spider-Man #121-122.

2. Spider-Man! Amazing Fantasy #15.

3. How Green Was My Goblin/The End of the Green Goblin. The Amazing Spider-Man #39-40.

4. Confessions. Ultimate Spider-Man #13.

5. Coming Home. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #30-35.

6. The Conversation. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #38.

7. The Superior Foes of Spider-Man. The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #1-17.

8. Kraven’s Last Hunt. Web of Spider-Man #31, The Amazing Spider-Man #293, Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #131, Web of Spider-Man #32, The Amazing Spider-Man #294 and Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #132.

9. Big Time. The Amazing Spider-Man #648-651.

10. Doctor Octopus is dead. Avenging Spider-Man #15.1.

Me and @Brian Fowler are big fans of #4.

EDIT: Moved The Conversation up a place to #4 from #5.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Thanks. that gives me an idea of some things to check out. I think Big Time was where I started so I have that covered. Want to say I covered that Avenging Spider-man issue. I have little interest in ultimate Spider-man outside of Miles. Always see people talking up Superior Foes. I've not been super into the little bit pf Spencer I've read, but I might check that out at some point.

Anyone here read the Spider-man/Deadpool stuff? I just finished Vol. 1 and dug it a good deal, but I'm wondering if the rest is worth reading since it looks like Kelly isn't involved.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Thanks. that gives me an idea of some things to check out. I think Big Time was where I started so I have that covered. Want to say I covered that Avenging Spider-man issue. I have little interest in ultimate Spider-man outside of Miles. Always see people talking up Superior Foes. I've not been super into the little bit pf Spencer I've read, but I might check that out at some point.

Anyone here read the Spider-man/Deadpool stuff? I just finished Vol. 1 and dug it a good deal, but I'm wondering if the rest is worth reading since it looks like Kelly isn't involved.

You're welcome. I remember now you posting Big Time reviews, I may have missed out on you covering the Avenging Spider-Man issue. If you haven't, read the Christopher Yost stories involving the Superior Spider-Man as for me he's the definitive SpOck writer. Superior Foes of Spider-Man is one of the funniest comic book stories I've read.

I haven't read Spider-Man/Deadpool as I'm put off by the current status quo of Spider-Man and Parker Industries. From what I gather the book is worth reading but only the Joe Kelly issues.

I'd also throw in the the Hobgoblin origin arc (which is available in trade). Really great mid 80s Spidey goodness there by Stern/Defalco/Maantlo with some early JRJ and Ron Frenz art (Mike Zeck too in fact!)

James

• Like 1

My tastes in Spidey stuff are a little wonkier but my faves are Ultimate Spiderman (All of it. Well, I still haven't read the first Miles volume but yeah. Classic through to the current adjectiveless series), JMS' run (despite three real weak arcs), the Black Costume saga, and the bonkers adventure that is the Clone Saga. Also  high are like the first 20 odd issues of Amazing and the late 90s run with Norman playing games/the bounty on him, leading into Gathering of Five stuff and The Next Chapter. There's a really good Green Goblin two parter from issue 25 of both rebooted series too.

Anyway.  Yeah. Love Spidey but my faves differ from most.

• Like 1

My very favorite Spidey stuff is the Lee/Romita era. I'm quite possibly the only person in the world who thinks the book got better after Ditko quit, but I do.

Other things I truly love: like Dragon, pretty much all of Ultimate Spider-Man/Ultimate Comics Spider-Man/Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man. I haven't read adjectiveless yet. #13 of the first run is quite possibly the best single issue ever (Paul is correct)

Spider-Man: Blue because it basically retells part of the Lee/Romita stuff with Tim Sale art.

Erik Larson's Return of the Sinister Six

The Master Planner. Even if I blasphemed against Ditko earlier, this is THE iconic definitive "Spidey overcomes the odds" story.

• Like 1

So today is apparently the last day for a free month for Marvel Unlimited. I just took it, but have little idea of what to read. I'm trying to see where I left off on Wolverine though I will probably end up just starting with the 88 ongoing. Any suggestions on what else is there that I can check out?

Over 4th of July weekend I decided to read Robinson's run on the Fantastic Four since this was the finally series before the FF were going to be put on the shelf for a while. Before reading this the only two FF stories I have read were the Civil War tie-in and the first volume of Ultimate Fantastic Four. So I decided to give this a try since the was the end of the FF and to also see if I could like a FF story since I wasn't very interested in them from the two stories I did read. I actually enjoyed this series because the writing and the story were good and the team I felt like created a very good ending for the first family of comic books. After reading this I now want to go back and read stuff from Hickman and Bendis along with reading stuff from the Masterwork series. 

On 7/10/2017 at 7:55 PM, J.H. said:

I think when it comes Ditko v. Romita it boils down to Ditko may have created the inital look for Spidey but Romita's Spidey is the definitive version of the era

James

I think I just like the cast of Harry/Gwen/MJ/Flash, the college setting, the lighter tone... All of that. The book with Ditko was definitely more idiosyncratic and different. But under Romita it became the best of the pure silver age superhero books.

The main book by Aaron and the Vader then Dr Aphra book by Gillen.

the minis have been hit and miss. Waid's Leia book was good. The Robinson/Harris C3PO book was okay. 

I presume you arent including the 70s marvel book. 

Gillen's Vader and Aaron's main book are the must reads. Aphra is something you should decide on based on what you think of the character in Vader. Soule's Vader is off to a solid start but too early to really say if it will be worth it in the end. The Threepio one shot was fun. Leia, Hana, & Chewie were all generally fun and decent. Kaanan was nice while it lasted. Poe Dameron is decent but drags.

Spider-Man 2099 Classic Vol 3 & 4. Actually read 3 before, but it had been too long so I had to give it a reread for a refresher. Fall of the Hammer was a decent enough crossover. Lyla going insane was fun. I dug the Discord story though I wish it had been just a bit more drawn out since it gave some interesting backstory to Miguel's brother. Really liked all of the backups on Miguel's childhood. It does a good job of building one of the bigger reveals while giving some depth to Miguel's relationship with various people, particularly Xina & Angela. I'm also finding Kasey case of mistaken identity with Gabri for Spider-man to be generally amusing. good, solid reads all around. Hopefully the fifth volume doesn't take another two years to release.