DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

EOIYnXtVAAAdufe?format=png&name=small

I'm thinking Kindred is the original Gwen Stacy. That would be something with the amount of time she's stayed dead in The Night Gwen Stacy Died (The Amazing Spider-Man #121-122, June-July 1973). Ezekiel Sims and Harry Osborn are my other guesses.

bD9GpFCZwAaPgYiZ8byFiN-650-80.jpg.webp

I'm thinking we'll finally find out Kindred's identity in The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #50 primarily because it's a landmark issue and the start of the Last Remains arc.

3eu78dtfklk41.jpg

OIP.W6Qf8TFH0KKsY0SjhR3LswHaLc?pid=Api&d

Thinking about Kindred again. If Kindred is the original Gwen Stacy and not a clone, is that the longest time ever a character has stayed dead only to be brought back? Norman Osborn died in the same story arc, The Night Gwen Stacy Died and returned in the 1990s Clone Saga. If Kindred turns out to be the original Harry Osborn and the ones since then are retconned, that would be a sizeable time between death to return. Bucky Barnes as the Winter Soldier was a really long one. Jason Todd under the Red Hood. Something that both of those characters returned the same year, 2005. Barry Allen was gone a while from Crisis in Infinite Earths to Final Crisis.

Of those, I'd have kept Norman Osborn and Barry Allen dead. The execution of Gwen Stacy as Kindred will depend on whether I'm for or against it. I wouldn't have brought back Kraven and Aunt May. Kraven's Last Hunt was the one to go out on and Aunt May either in The Amazing Spider-Man #400 or Joseph Michael Straczynski's Spider-Man run.

Edited by The Natural

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #47. Sins Rising Part Three written by Nick Spencer and the artist is Marcelo Ferreira. Sin-Eater uses the media calling for those to join his crusade. This was a really good issue for that, Sin-Eater acting as a messiah and some taking up on this call to power/cleansing. Those wanting to be absolved of their sins too.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #48. Sins Rising Part Four written by Nick Spencer and the artist is Mark Bagley though the first page incorrectly says Marcelo Ferreira. Poor that. The Sin-Eater and his followers are after Norman Osborn. Peter Parker’s not sure what he’s to do. This was a great issue for Parker pondering his moral dilemma as other Spiders including Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen talk to him about it. Wouldn’t it better for all if Sin-Eater cleansed Osborn of his evil? I don’t normally quote in my comic book reviews but I want to here as Spider-Gwen is a favourite of mine and it feels like a nod towards the original Gwen Stacy as Kindred: “You know, it can get a little weird living half the time in a world where you’re buried somewhere, Gotta find ways to make peace with it. The toughest part really, is dealing with people who primarily know you or remember you, because of your death. They all pretend to know this angelic, idealized Gwen. The perfect girl. The tragic victim. But that’s definitely not who I am and I doubt yours was either.” Really liked the issues referring to Ultimate Spider-Man: Death of Spider-Man as Miles Morales talks about it. Fitting it’s referred to here, how Bagley drew that and this issue as well. My lone criticism on the issue, Silk shows up. Silk sucks.

The Amazing Spider-Man: The Sins of Norman Osborn #1. written by Nick Spencer and drawn by Federico Vincentini. Spider-Man goes to save Norman Osborn from Ravencroft Institute, that choice has consequences as Spiders set out to stop him. This was a great issue for that as Spider-Gwen points out what the reader does as well, there has to be a catch to Sin-Eater taking sins away from people and the differrent perspectives of the Spiders for what to do. The long history between Spider-Man and the Green Goblin, there’s a vicious barb by Osborn “After all, you’re not terribly good at saving anyone when it really matters – at least not in my experience”. A big strength of the issue is genuine surprises, at least four I’d say. I also liked the totem talk referencing Joseph Michael Straczynski’s time on the flagship book. Sins Rising is one of the best stories by Nick Spencer in his run on The Amazing Spider-Man. Hope Spencer sticks the conclusion in TASM (Vol.5) #49 AKA #850 in LGY numbering. Shame Silk’s here. Ugh.

Edited by The Natural

Having mentioned Joseph Michael Straczynski...

Joseph Michael Straczynski’s Spider-Man - The Good.

• The characterization of Peter Parker, Mary Jane Watson-Parker and Aunt May was a big strength of JMS’s work. The biggest plus point.
  • Great all timers in Coming Home, The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #30-35. The Conversation, The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #30-35. Doomed Affairs, The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #49-50.
  • The origin linking it to Spider totems, a different spin. Totemistic.
  • Other stories worth mentioning. ‘Nuff Said, The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #39. Happy Birthday, The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #57-58 and TASM #500. Saturday in the Park With May, TASM #501.
  • Peter Parker as a science teacher at his old high school.
  • Few if nobody writes Peter/Mary Jane/Aunt May as well as JMS does especially May.
  • Attempted new villains notably Morlun. I also liked Digger.
  • Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson reconcile after a separation.
  • The first half by JMS/John Romita Jr, 38 issues better than the later part.
  • The humour, really funny.

Joseph Michael Straczynski’s Spider-Man - The Bad

• One More Day fucking sucks. One of the worst ever comic books. A big knock on JMS time on the book. Sins Past is also terrible.
  • Second half is caught up in events.
  • I’d have liked to see how JMS wrote the traditional Spidey villains besides Doctor Octopus and the Kingpin.
  • Only Morlun has stayed around out of the villains created by JMS.
  • Shathtra was too similar to Morlun.
  • JMS finishing when JRJR did on TASM #508 was the time to leave.
Edited by The Natural

So far X of Swords is wonderfully absurd, totally imaginative, and completely impenetrable. The amount of obscure MU knowledge you need to know to follow along is huge, and that's on top of the really complex new mythos Hickman has been building. If you haven't been reading Cable and Excalibur, at the least, forget it.

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

So far X of Swords is wonderfully absurd, totally imaginative, and completely impenetrable. The amount of obscure MU knowledge you need to know to follow along is huge, and that's on top of the really complex new mythos Hickman has been building. If you haven't been reading Cable and Excalibur, at the least, forget it.

well, shit. i fucking adore Hickman's current run, but i'm only reading the mainline X-Men title. will probably wait for it all to come out before i read it.

seriously, this run is balls to the wall bonkers. every issue matters, and how many ongoings can say that? 

9 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

finally picked up the 2 missing Daredevil Omnibus's from my collection  Bendis Vol 1 and 2.  For those who read, how would you compare/contrast Bendis work on Daredevil to Brubaker, Miller, and Waid?

They all are not as good as Kesel's

James

• Like 1

@JLSigman, I remember you enjoying Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider. Let us know if you want Spider-Gwen story recommendations. I've read Edge of Spider-Verse #2 where she debuted, Spider-Verse, Spider-Gwen (Vol. 1 and 2), Spider-Gwen Annual #1, a story by Gerry Conway who killed the original Gwen Stacy in The Night Gwen Stacy Died and others. Cheers xxx.

Edited by The Natural

Having assessed Joseph Michael Straczysnki's time on The Amazing Spider-Man, I'll do the same to someone who is also controversial. Dan Slott.

Dan Slott’s Spider-Man - The Good.

• A number of great stories starting with his solo run on the Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 1): the first Big Time story #648-651, Revenge of the Spider-Slayer #652-654, No-One Dies #655-656, Spider-Island #666-673 and Dying Wish #698-700. The first Big Time story acted as a new step on point for readers and it grabbed me so I kept looking out for this run in my library.
  • The Superior Spider-Man era. This took everyone by surprise with the WTF nature as a dying Otto Octavius switches mind/body with Peter Parker. Otto lives in Peter Parker and becomes the Superior Spider-Man while Pete trapped in Otto, dies. We see a villain try to become a hero as the Superior Spider-Man is violent with his beatings, uses surveillance with his Spider-bots across NYC and kills villains. This led to Avenging Spider-Man/Superior Spider-Man Team-Up with Superior Spider-Man written by his best writer, Christopher Yost and the hilarious Superior Foes of Spider-Man by Nick Spencer/Steve Lieber. One of Spidey’s best periods and SpOck is my second favourite Spider behind only the original.
  • Massacre appears in two of Slott’s most memorable stories, the aforementioned No-One Dies and The Aggressive Approach/Emotional Triggers in the Superior Spider-Man #4-5.
  • Flash Thompson losing his legs and becoming the new Venom, Agent Venom did much to both.
  • Good creations in the Superior Spider-Man, Anna Maria Marconi, Mr. Negative Horizon Labs/core team and Massacre.
  • Spider-Man 2099 brought back.
  • The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows miniseries where Peter Parker, Mary Jane Watson-Parker are still married with a daughter, Annie. For a while this was the last thing of Slott’s I really enjoyed.
  • The funnies when they worked.
  • Dan Slott ending his run on a high with Go Down Swinging from the Amazing Spider-Man #797-800 and particularly There For You in #801.

Dan Slott’s Spider-Man - The Bad.

• The Superior Spider-Man ending in early 2014 was the right time or at the very latest, Renew Your Vows (2015) for Dan to go.
  • The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3) was bad and The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 4) made me drop the book. Bloody awful.
  • Peter Parker/Spider-Man can be written as unlikeable and incompetent.
  • Peter Parker taking credit for a doctorate while under the influence of Otto Octavius.
  • Spider-Man at times needs saving and unable to solve things on his own.
  • Dan Slott’s created characters particularly Silk who he gave a big push to. I hate that character.
  • Alpha was another made worse by that story celebrating the 50th anniversary of Spider-Man. Carlie Cooper was thereabouts.
  • Black Cat turned into a crime boss reached its nadir in The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3) #16-18. Peter Stark from the Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 4).
  • Ben Reilly as the new Jackal for all Professor Miles Warren did to him and returning as a baddie. I’m open to changes in character if done well. These don’t apply.
  • Spidey pouring acid over the Sandman while interrogating him in ends of the Earth. Story was also poor.
  • Like 1

Big day tomorrow with The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #49 AKA #850 in LGY Numbering. I think it's the end of Sins Rising and up till now, it's one of Nick Spencer's best Spider-Man stories. Hope it delivers as anniversary issues should do. Spidey's had a great track record with TASM #300, #400, #500, #600, #700 and #800. I'd say #400 was the best of them made more impressive in that it was stuck in the bloated mess that was the Clone Saga. Tomorrow is also the release date of Batman and the Joker from Batman: The Adventures Continue figures I pre-ordered back in May but I'm not sure I'll get them with DC Collectibles/DC Direct going as part of the cuts to DC. Just have to wait and see.

On 9/29/2020 at 12:12 PM, The Natural said:

Big day tomorrow with The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #49 AKA #850 in LGY Numbering. I think it's the end of Sins Rising and up till now, it's one of Nick Spencer's best Spider-Man stories. Hope it delivers as anniversary issues should do. Spidey's had a great track record with TASM #300, #400, #500, #600, #700 and #800. I'd say #400 was the best of them made more impressive in that it was stuck in the bloated mess that was the Clone Saga. Tomorrow is also the release date of Batman and the Joker from Batman: The Adventures Continue figures I pre-ordered back in May but I'm not sure I'll get them with DC Collectibles/DC Direct going as part of the cuts to DC. Just have to wait and see.

TASM (Vol. 5) #49/850 LGY Numbering was put back a week so here's hoping it's out tomorrow. I don't think those Batman: The Adventures Continue figures will arrive.

Edited by The Natural

First time read:

Spider-Man: Blue #1-6 (July 2002-April 2003) written by Jeph Loeb and drawn by Tim Sale. Peter Parker/Spider-Man is feeling blue on Valentine’s Day missing Gwen Stacy. This was a terrific and moving story on love, loss and remembrance. The opening and closing pages are particularly poignant, really are. The early days of Peter Parker, Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane Watson, Harry Osborn and Flash Thompson as Spider-Man fights super villains including the Green Goblin, his arch enemy and the Lizard. I really liked nods to Spider-Man mythos: “True believers” is spoken, a recreation of the Amazing Fantasy #15 cover and “Amazing Fantasy” brought up by Gwen. The narration by Peter is very well done as he reflects on those times talking to Gwen via recorded messages to her. This is one of the best Spider-Man stories of all time, either in my top ten or only just outside of it. I think this is Tim Sale’s best drawn book.  

On 9/29/2020 at 4:17 AM, The Natural said:

Dan Slott’s Spider-Man - The Bad.

• The Superior Spider-Man ending in early 2014 was the right time or at the very latest, Renew Your Vows (2015) for Dan to go.
  • The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3) was bad and The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 4) made me drop the book. Bloody awful.

Agreed.  In hindsight, it really seems like the last issue of Superior should have been Slott's jumping off point.  it really paid off much of what Slott had been doing with the character and would have been a organic ending to the ASM/SSM story.  Other than the Spiderverse storyline and maybe Renew Your Vows, I don't think I enjoyed anything after the end of SSM.  Peter Stark-Parker really annoyed me because I never really liked the Horizon Labs stuff.  It wasn't a bad idea (it makes more sense than a guy with a genius iq working as a photographer), but Slott made Pete's transition to "Sooper Scientist" wayyy too easy.  And, really  the character is really more relatable as a everyman photographer.

Really disliked Slott's FF and Iron Man runs.  Slott's kind of a modern-day Peter David for me.  Both guys wrote a long run on a iconic character that I thought was outstanding.  Both guys made their name off that one run, but then stayed too long on the book.  And then both guys then went on to other projects and did a lot of work that I didn't think measured up to their best work.    

I think on the whole I'd pick JMS's ASM run over Slott's.  Not sure there's been a better run on Hulk than David's.  Though I feel JMS also stayed too long on the book and did his best work in the front half of the run.  I don't even hold One More Day against JMS.  The scripting was fine, and I don't think he had much control over the plot.  That was an editorial decision, wasn't it?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Agreed.  In hindsight, it really seems like the last issue of Superior should have been Slott's jumping off point.  it really paid off much of what Slott had been doing with the character and would have been a organic ending to the ASM/SSM story.  Other than the Spiderverse storyline and maybe Renew Your Vows, I don't think I enjoyed anything after the end of SSM.  Peter Stark-Parker really annoyed me because I never really liked the Horizon Labs stuff.  It wasn't a bad idea (it makes more sense than a guy with a genius iq working as a photographer), but Slott made Pete's transition to "Sooper Scientist" wayyy too easy.  And, really  the character is really more relatable as a everyman photographer.

Really disliked Slott's FF and Iron Man runs.  Slott's kind of a modern-day Peter David for me.  Both guys wrote a long run on a iconic character that I thought was outstanding.  Both guys made their name off that one run, but then stayed too long on the book.  And then both guys then went on to other projects and did a lot of work that I didn't think measured up to their best work.    

I think on the whole I'd pick JMS's ASM run over Slott's.  Not sure there's been a better run on Hulk than David's.  Though I feel JMS also stayed too long on the book and did his best work in the front half of the run.  I don't even hold One More Day against JMS.  The scripting was fine, and I don't think he had much control over the plot.  That was an editorial decision, wasn't it?

Thank you for this post. I thought TASM (Vol. 3) sucked. I hate Silk. TASM (Vol. 4) was even worse than the previous volume. Worldwide with Peter Parker as Peter Stark and poor Ben Reilly as the Jackal by him/Peter A David. Fuck no. I'm with you. I'm all for character/status quo changes but those sucked. Ditto for Black Cat as the Queenpin. Only Slott Spidey stories I liked after SSM were Renew Your Vows. Going Down Swinging and There For You had their moments.

That's a real interesting question you pose, JMS ASM run or Slott's. I think I'm with you picking JMS. Coming Home, The Conversation and Doomed Affairs are genuine classics. For Slott, the start of Big Time, No One Dies and the Superior Spider-Man era. Few if anybody wrote Peter, Mary Jane Watson and Aunt May better than JMS, especially May. Sins Past and One More Day are the two worst Spider-Man stories ever. Despite that, the aforementioned TASM volumes by Slott left a real bad taste in my mouth and also my wallet.

Edited by The Natural