DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: HONKY TONK MAN

RIPPA

Early heads up - next week is Football Week.

Because of that I was like "I should do someone totally not related to football" and Ed was like "Well in honor of Labor Day weekend - you so do the laziest fucker around"

So after much debate - that became Honky

I am a big fan of Honky Tonk Man. 

His match with Macho Man at the October 87 SNME (birth of the Mega Powers) is an all time favorite. His match with Jake Roberts at Mania 3 is really good. Ultimate Warrior improved greatly after working with him. 

I think he was so good at being a heel, that people would not recognize how good he is. Shit I watch him and want him to get his ass kicked, despite liking him. 

• Like 1

Always liked Honky. My first exposure to him was as part of Rhythm & Blues in their everlasting feud with the Bushwhackers, and even as a kid, I knew the Bushwhackers were terrible and hated them destroying guitars at every opportunity.

This match is far from great, but if I ever invented time-travel, I'd show this to a teenager from the 50's to fuck with their heads.

I didn't know Bruno was an active wrestler when the Hart Foundation/Jake/Honky were wrestling. I remember his angle with Savage when Bruno was an announcer.

Who was that calling that match with Lord Alfred? Kinda sounds like Vince, but I'm not sure it's him. Those Elvis references went from annoying but necessary, considering, to way over the top horrible.

I don't have anything wrestling-related to contribute as HTM has never appealed to me enough to track down any of his older work, but every shoot interview I've seen from him has been entertaining.  In a piece of DVDVR nostalgia, here's he and Raven discussing the wrestling sleaze thread-

Never even knew this match happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7RIllKuAmk

That was the non-TV main event for a Superstars taping at the Meadowlands Arena in January 1987.  First WWF show I ever attended, and the match took place at about the four-hour mark of the taping (three weeks of Superstars shows, plus a few bonus bouts thrown in).  That and Billy Jack Haynes-Harley Race (which was the opening bout) were the only matches promoted ahead of the show.

I got to call a Honkeytonk Man match once, and... there's no story.  Seriously, nothing unexpected happened.  It was on the same Fairgrounds show as the Sid/Bobby Eaton match, and the moneymark promoter booked Honky vs Simon Diamond.  Honky came out, the crowd loved him, he insisted on having them replay his entire theme song while he sang along over the house mic.  Simon Diamond played the chickenshit young heel and took most of the bumps, Honky went over clean 1-2-3 with the Shake Rattle & Roll, goodnight thanks for coming.  (The most fascinating part was listening to him and Terry Funk talk backstage afterwards, discussing things like "Sting's not a draw anymore" and talking about how all the Christian wrestling federations were a bunch of carny con jobs.) 

I didn't watch this stuff as a kid, so I don't have a fan's perspective on Honky; I can understand why many would hate him, considering how he won the IC belt off Steamboat and then kept it forever, all the while doing a proto-Jeff Jarrett gimmick.  But as a professional, I can't fault the man on almost anything.  He didn't hurt people (the accident when he cracked Jake's neck vertebrae with the guitar shot doesn't count, you know Jake and/or Vince ordered him to blast Roberts with it as hard as possible in order to "make it look real") and I haven't heard too many stories of him fucking anyone else over. In his shoot interviews, he is of course an egotistical blowhard; but he doesn't seem to invent false facts to shape the stories the way he'd like them to go.  When the very worst thing you can say about a guy is "he was awfully fond of the chinlock", well, there's much worse epitaphs.