DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

On Eternal, its almost Lincoln March for sure. This has been suspected since before it even began. I would be surprised if Snyder decided do such a big story on a different character considering what he set up with March in the Court of Owls arc. Timing wise E3 Owlman wouldn't work as this has clearly been in the planning for some time.

Yeah, I'm not sure what Snyder is doing with the Joker. I'm really hoping this a misdirect of some type. I can't see them going the Iron Man route with Bruce. Wouldn't work well with the type of character he is.

Technically March betrayed the Court so that doesn't actually give me much doubt. It makes sense that he would want to question them about the recent reveal with Joker seeing that only them and the Religion of Crime have been in Gotham long enough to maybe know.

Damn that is a lot of new titles. I did not expect to wake up to that kind of news. So many new writers as well, not sure what I will actually get. They can go fuck themselves though for Batman Beyond. Give me my damn Terry McGinnis DCAU book back.

Man, a lot of those new titles look destined to fail (Omega Men can support a book?  Really?) - especially with new/relatively unknown creators behind them.  That said, there are a couple books in there than interest me and a couple I'll pick up to support the property (Omega Men).  Section Eight is easily the most interesting book on the list, though.

That said, a lot of what that press release actually says leave me cold.  De-emphasizing continuity to make books hip, edgy, and accessible sounds like either PR buzzspeak that won't mean much to the actual product, or a really terrible idea in the making.  Either way, not excited.

• Like 1

I went full on nerdcore and typed up what my pull would look like in June just based on the announcement, I'll only be reading one or two less DC titles. A few of my books that are being cancelled are being retitled/retooled, such as Red Hood & the Outlaws -> Red Hood & Arsenal.

Batman and Robin: Requiem for Damian. Not sure how I feel about this one totally. I'm not a big silent issue fan though it was done well as Gleason is a damn talented artist. I think Tomasi went a bit far in the Jason and Frankenstein stories. I understand wanting to sell Bruce as grieving and desperate, but those felt like something beyond what I can see Bruce honestly doing, especially since the end of neither really snapped him out of his funk. I however did like the stories with Barbara, Selina, and Dick. The latter two served as nice moments with Bruce gradually starting to move on just tad. The last story with Alfred was especially depressing and touching. Not quite the home run I hoped for, but a solid follow up on what damage Damian's passing did to Bruce.

Batman and Robin: The Big Burn. I thought this as a decent read and new origin for Two-Face in the New 52. The ending was a bit much seeing as how it wasn't remotely something that could stick, but this was otherwise enjoyable though its not much compared to Long Halloween. In truth I somewhat suspect the story would have worked better if could have gotten the type of length Long Halloween had to allow for more character depth. Still whats there is done well enough, and McKillen was a decent if forgettable villain.

i didn't dig the new Two-Face origin, and thought that storyline drug on too far. i was quite uninterested with the entire arc.

the Requiem issues were overall good but the whole thing was uneven. i agree with you, especially on the Frankenstein issue. enjoyed the batgirl and nightwing issues the most. 

You're a horrible person for that one. Terrible jokes aside Endgame actually has been pretty good. After reading this week's issue, I am pretty sure at the very least the current story Joker is pushing is bs. Tynion's backup makes its sort of obvious. Damn was that a dark ending to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent point about March, I really do hope it's him and not someone like Ra's. 

All signs seem to point to March, especially Spoiler thinking the guy she saw IS Bruce Wayne.

I thought James Gordon Jr was going to be involved somehow since Gordon was the first guy taken down.  Has he shown up in New 52 yet?  Snyder had that Black Mirror story w him from Detective a few years back too.

But while I was thinking of who else it could be Lex Luthor popped in my head.  I know it's almost certainly not him, especially with him in the Justice League now, but I always thought he would be such a perfect rival for Batman.  I guess Batman has Ra's who is pretty similar, but I'd love to see a big story like Eternal with Lex using all his political/financial/underworld ties and taking it to Batman like this villain has.

So...any thoughts on the new looks for Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman?

Diana's isn't bad outside of the dumb shoulder pads. Kal's makes him look like a slightly older Conner and that's a gigantic NOPE for me. Don't know what to think about Bruce rockin' armor like that yet. It does look pretty decent, though.