DVDVR Message Board

Best use of actual songs in video games.

J.T.

I was going to let someone else have some glory and post the Borderlands intros and the Saints raid on the Morning Star penthouse.

I am a total mark for the Borderlands 2 intro.

Confession:  I have done that mission in SR3 five times and I always time my jump to start right as Kanye starts rapping just like in the video..

• Like 1

I am also assuming we are also ignoring stuff that just plays on radio stations in games like GTA and Saints Row and Brutal Legend, etc...

Even when "What I Got" comes on the radio in SR3 and your character sings along with it?

• Like 1

I am also assuming we are also ignoring stuff that just plays on radio stations in games like GTA and Saints Row and Brutal Legend, etc...

Even when "What I Got" comes on the radio in SR3 and your character sings along with it?

Well that's different

and awesome

We know you and JT get superpowers when certain songs come on during races in GTA.

I always thought Ozar Midrashim was specifically written for the Legend of Kain :  Soul Reaver score, until I found a copy of Don't Be Afraid by The Information Society in the Import stacks at Tower Records.

• Like 1

It's not one song, but I want to point out how amazing the dynamic music is in SSX 2 and 3 (I think On Tour and the reboot ditched this). On the ground, you get the whole song, but as you catch air, more and more of it fades out until it's just the whistle of air around you. And of course, 2 mixes in the hook from Run DMC's "It's Tricky" when you fill up your Uber meter. I always thought that was a really awesome way of making a licensed soundtrack seem like more than just a playlist, and actually got me really attached to some of the pop punk junk food in 3 within the context of the game.

• Like 1

This was my first thought after reading the initial post. "What I Got" almost comes out of nowhere and is one of the few sing-a-long moments I have experienced in gaming.

This, motherfucking this.  I immediately went on a search for this version and the original (forgot it was used in Donnie Darko until after this)  It just stuck with me after all this time.

And you know what, fuck it this is amazing.  It's a joy playing through this.  Don't believe me?  They probably still have this demo at most WiiU kiosks, and it is a blast to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgIbYGnchTQ#t=32

Having never played the games - I have no clue if any of those Eminem songs are ever used in the actual Call of Duty games but they are I would post them. Of course - I feel like the only person who likes Eminem.

I meant to post that Rayman clip but forgot to.

And watching the Crazy Taxi clips I realized that it is a good thing I never played those games because I would have spent the entire time being all GET IN THE FUCKING CAR!!!!