DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown spoilers, 2nd August 2013.

The Natural

WWE Smackdown taping

Houston, Texas

Report by Dot Net reader Bobby Krupp

Smackdown started with Alberto Del Rio making his SummerSlam opponent. He first said Brock Lesnar, but Brock was busy. He mentioned Houston's own Booker T, but said that won't work because like all things from Houston, Booker would be a disappointment. He named Ricardo Rodriguez. Vickie Guerrero came out and said that since he was trying to disrespect her, he would face the winner of a Triple Threat main event between Rob Van Dam, Christian, and Randy Orton.

1. Cody Rhodes defeated Jack Swagger. Prior to the match, they showed footage of Cody throwing Damien Sandow's Money in the Bank briefcase into the Gulf of Mexico. Cody won the match with a rollup.

2. Big E Langston beat Sin Cara. Langston won a squash match.

3. C.M. Punk defeated Fandango. Punk won a fairly even match. He won using the Anaconda Vice following a superplex.

4. A.J. Lee defeated Kaitlyn to retain the WWE Divas Championship. Layla stopped Kaitlyn form attacking A.J. outside the ring, then the duo skipped away together.

5. Christian defeated Randy Orton and Rob Van Dam in a Triple Threat to become No. 1 contender to the World Hvt. Championship. Christian became No. 1 contender with the win. Alberto Del Rio attacked Christian after the match to conclude the taping.

Credit: prowrestling.net

Christian's had a better return this year (wins and #1 contender to the World Heavyweight Championship) than he did last year (wasn't around long and won the WWE Intercontinental Championship). I expect Alberto Del Rio vs. Christian to happen at SummerSlam for the World Heavyweight Championship.

Yeah if the show airs on August 2nd that pretty much commits them to doing the match at Summerslam. Really surprised by the outcome as I would've thought Dolph got the belt at Summerslam in a gimmick return match, but I guess the thinking is it can wait and he can work with Big E in the mean time. Maybe he gets it at Hell in a Cell or Survivor Series. Either way that eventual match will have an awesome hype video connecting the MITB cash-in from April, concussion, Dolph babyface turn and break up with AJ to the match. Even though I'm surprised, I'm pleasantly surprised - Christian is a really awesome worker and I'm thrilled he is getting the shot. Should be a great match too.I would guess Summerslam at this point pretty much looks like:

Shield vs. Henry & partners (Usos or Sheamus & Big Show)Sandow vs. CodyDolph vs. Big EWyatt vs. KaneChristian vs. Del RioBrock vs PunkVan Dam vs. Fandango (the two leftover guys at this point, maybe a three-way with McGillicutty for the IC Title)Cena vs. Bryan (with presumed Orton cash-in)

and that is a pretty sweet line-up actually.

A weird Laycool V2 with Layla and AJ intrigues me. Layla was one of those "she's so over as a heel she has to go face during the heel team breakup" people, who should never actually be a baby face types. She should have gone back heel like 3 months tops, but she got hurt and had to come back face. She's a great heel, so I'm intrigued. She's also hotter than Georgia asphalt, and even more so as a heel.

Yeah, that Summerslam card is shaping up to be all-time great on paper.

Maybe because literally 4 out of my 5 favorite wrestlers will be in the two title matches and big huge grudge match.  Plus, with Henry on the show as well...  Yeah, that's fantastic.

I don't necessarily understand why Christian is getting pushed right now, but I damn sure ain't gonna complain.

I felt like he had a lot of momentum coming out of Edge's retirement a few years ago and they really squandered that by having Orton go over him immediately and the heel turn. Right now, I don't think he has the momentum but they've been building him up with wins, at least. The fact of the matter is that his big moment was a few years ago and they just wasted it. That said, he's good, and he can do ADR some good by putting him over.

I want footage of Damien Sandow in an old timey diving suit or diving bell out to recover his briefcase.  If only so we can re-enact the scene from Splash where Eugene Levy is a dick to his workers and they decided they're going to pee down his air hose.

I felt like he had a lot of momentum coming out of Edge's retirement a few years ago and they really squandered that by having Orton go over him immediately and the heel turn. Right now, I don't think he has the momentum but they've been building him up with wins, at least. The fact of the matter is that his big moment was a few years ago and they just wasted it. That said, he's good, and he can do ADR some good by putting him over.

I did love the "Randy Orton can't snap or he loses the belt" clause they had in one of their PPV matches when Christian spat in his face and caused Randy to do just that and get stripped of the belt.

I want footage of Damien Sandow in an old timey diving suit or diving bell out to recover his briefcase.  If only so we can re-enact the scene from Splash where Eugene Levy is a dick to his workers and they decided they're going to pee down his air hose.

I hope they do a Life Aquatic spoof w/ Sandow.

• Like 1

It wasn't poorly executed and they played their roles well but it really wasn't what the fans wanted and instead of escalating things like with, let's say Rock at Survivor Series 1998, it just pulled it all down.

Let's hope someone who has been positioned for a major Summerslam role doesn't get all hopped up on goofballs during the overseas tour and get sent home.

Limiting "major SummerSlam role" to the four people in the two main events, Brock's not on the tour, Punk and Bryan are highly unlikely to get hopped up on anything, and Cena (also not the most likely to have an incident) would have to run over some pedestrians before WWE punished him.