DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 6/6/14

victor

Nothing says "I'm satisfied with my life" more than demeaning menial labor and being compelled to brag about arbitrary award ceremonies you may or may not have attended on a fucking internet wrestling message board.

Next person to talk about bullshit outside of Smackdown gets tossed and the thread gets locked. 

I'm giving you an opportunity to clean it up before Rippa wakes up.

I am not sold on Charlotte. Not at all. She is a terrible promo and has a very Michelle McCool vibe about her and that is NOT a good thing. Michelle couldn't get over and was pushed despite lack of interest from the WWE crowd. I see Charlotte being the new Michelle McCool. She will be technically sound in some areas and at times have a pretty passable and solid 7 minute match, but overall there will be certain elements (charisma mainly) that will be missing that will prevent her from truly getting over.

LayCool era Michelle McCool doing pushups with one hand on her opponent's face was a better heel than just about anyone in the company at that time. So if Charlotte is anything like that, I'm in.

• Like 3

There was this NXT match with Laycool on commentary. Cole puts over Alex Riley as a Boston College graduate. Michelle says she has a masters from Florida State and finally that Layla won the Diva Search.

Basically Layla is the most qualified of the group.

• Like 2

I'm not exactly sure what people think Emma can accomplish. I think Santino could be used a lot better than he is. Lot more upside than any diva. 

Yeah, I am not getting the "Santino is dragging Emma down" sentiments. Santino is doing his best with a person who looks like she rather chew on a bottle of cyanide pills than be out there. Hell, Beth Phoenix got more out of Santino and she was as charisma-less and personality-less as the other women being talked about in this thread.

Also, I think the WWE's problem with the divas is that insist of booking around the "models" weaknesses, they just throw them in matches against people who are just as clueless but can do one hell of a movezy move spot. So, you got one half of the match revolving around doing spots that the other half don't know how to do. And in time, the ones with the credibility turn to shit because they don't know how to mix it up.

Mickie was absolutely AWFUL that last year in the company.

Santino/Emma vs. Summer/Fandango on NXT was an oddball MOTYC last year. That's not a joke. It was a wonderful comedy match. I can see why they thought the Santino/Emma pairing was a great way to enter Emma into the fold but for whatever reason it hasn't worked.

But Emma is legit. She can really work and has a ton of fun submission moves on top of her goofball personality. She was really great on NXT. It hasn't translated but that doesn't mean she's bad -- it just means that her shtick works well in the very giving Full Sail Arena but the harder-to-impress WWE Universe, that has also been trained to tune out almost anything divas wise and Santino wise over the years.

• Like 1

Santino and Emma have run into what I have dubbed the Holly Nexus (patent pending).  Its when you have one of a good thing and decide if one is better than two must be even greater!  Why have one 230 pound guy who acts like he's 380 when you can have an even shorter, smaller guy doing the same thing?  Why have one awkward cobra using person when you can have two and the second have lipstick?  Because it can lessen both performers as individuals and hurt the act.  It would have been fine to pair the two eventually after you establish Emma even a little bit but making her his mini-me is never really going to work.

Santino and Emma have run into what I have dubbed the Holly Nexus (patent pending).  Its when you have one of a good thing and decide if one is better than two must be even greater!  Why have one 230 pound guy who acts like he's 380 when you can have an even shorter, smaller guy doing the same thing?  Why have one awkward cobra using person when you can have two and the second have lipstick?  Because it can lessen both performers as individuals and hurt the act.  It would have been fine to pair the two eventually after you establish Emma even a little bit but making her his mini-me is never really going to work.

Yeah but Crash made the act even better. Even if it lowered the ceiling on Bob.

• Like 1

I have no issue with that argument so much as I have one with the "What do any of you see in her ever!" when it's pretty plain and obvious what people see and did see in her. That she's not living up to her potential for one reason or another is a perfectly reasonable point. That she never had that potential to begin with is something I've only heard from people who didn't actually do the legwork.

• Like 3

The problem with NXT is that they aren't willing to redo stuff. You guys say Emma got over organically by essentially not being self aware and being a bit of a malcoord. They brought her up and she was just a malcoord. There was no beginning of the gimmick she just is what she became in NXT. They shoukd be redoing it all again for the main roster using NXT as the dry run.

• Like 5

The problem with NXT is that they aren't willing to redo stuff. You guys say Emma got over organically by essentially not being self aware and being a bit of a malcoord. They brought her up and she was just a malcoord. There was no beginning of the gimmick she just is what she became in NXT. They shoukd be redoing it all again for the main roster using NXT as the dry run.

I liked this post because it is right. I choose to ignore who it was who made it.

Yep.  This one fundamental mistake is going to screw up a lot of great stuff.

I wonder if it's because they think it would be dumb?  Like, in this one instance they want to respect the continuity and not pretend "history" didn't happen?  Which would be stupid.

Or is it the old Vinces-style "I didn't create this, so I'm not going to use it" seeping down into creative at all levels, where the main roster writers are like "We don't use 3rd string show-writer ideas here.  We write our own stuff!"  Because that would be beyond stupid.

So stupid or beyond stupid?