DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER

RIPPA

I wonder how many Abby vs Carlis Colon matches are on youtube.

Like everything

Of course - Abby attacking Colon in the showers is also on Youtube

THE BLACK DOT! IT DOES NOTHING!!!

How are the matches vs Billy Robinson from the 70s?

I am watching now to answer this very question

This one is just a straight fight with Robinson bleeding less than a minute in. So it depends what you want. I enjoy myself an out of control brawl and Robinson using forearms and dropkicks during said out of control brawl makes me love it. Your mileage might deeply vary. Plus - it is on the short side

• Like 2

This was posted in the Bad Promo thread a few weeks ago.  But Rippa apparently had not seen it before since he almost peed himself when I shared it with him.

TEN-YU!!!!!

• Like 1

http://youtu.be/MYwtxc-iCLM

http://youtu.be/74ykFcd8U1o

http://youtu.be/62iXRL7o3WA

This one is 2 out of 3 falls. It is much more of a "straight" wrestling match. (I use quotes because this is Abby so you are going to get some Abby brawling no matter what). Won't be for everyone - especially those without the patience to let a story develop. (Especially when it comes to the 2nd fall). Abby's scream sell is... weird.

I enjoy it because I love me some psychology and focusing on a body part. Maybe Daniel Bryan should rewatch his Robinson tapes when trying to remember selling a crippling injury.

EDIT - OH! Everyone needs to make sure they go to 4:42 mark of the third clip if you want to see how one truly gets over being a monster heel

Yeah, that's the one I remember seeing. I think it's pretty good overall. Abby had his working boots on since it was a title match, had psychology, the end was expected but worked. Always love the Abby "YAAAAAAAHHHHH!". And of course he openly blades on camera, like always.

For me, Abby represented something that wrestling always needed (and may still need) and that's the "monster." No, I don't mean the huge guy in a mask that does a few power moves and gets over by no-selling. That's lazy. No, Abdullah was billed like a force of nature. Like some sort of blood thirsty creature that existed only to to be the negative balance to the shining baby faces. You knew he was out there and you'd hear stories but you always wondered if/when he'd show up and utterly destroy your favorite face. I'm old school in that aspect. I like my wrestling monsters bloody and evil not "demonic" and surrounded by pyro.

• Like 1

Abby & Funk vs. Honma & the very very fat Tarzan Goto (in AJ, of all places!)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17ozem_abdullah-the-butcher-terry-funk-vs-tarzan-goto-tomoaki-honma-ajpw-27-10-2002_sport

I know this has been posted around these parts a few times, but just in case you missed it...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnn3rf_wwc-abdullah-the-butcher-vs-zeus-1990_sport

Did Abdullah have to openly blade? I thought he'd just start bleeding if someone stared at his forehead long enough.

I still am kicking myself for not trying to go to his restaurant the last time I was in Atlanta in 2005. 

Even as a kid after getting the sinking feeling that wrestling wasn't on the up and up, Abdullah still managed to scare me - like someone said above, he was like a nuclear bomb brought in by someone when shit got tough. It was like "oh shit, it's real now." 

Here's another wrestler who was greatly, greatly aided by the territory system. His act kinda wears out somewhere, he goes somewhere else where he's fresh again, and by that time, he can come back to the first area, where it's all "holy shit, it's Mongo!" until that wears off again, lather, rinse, repeat.

He's wrestled Necro Butcher, right? And didn't he semi-recently wrestle some complete indy movez~! darling like Davey Richards or some such?

I'm thinking one of those hosts one of the awesome King Curtis promos against Big Bad John's Army... either way all should be watched.

One of my favorite stories from the Stampede book was Dan Kroffat saying that Abby went to Stu and said "let me work with that little white boy, we can get some heat". Abby decimates Kroffat then whispers at him to get back his heat, at which point Abby eats a dropkick, freaks out and runs away from the ring. At that point Kroffat was instantly and permanently over with the Stampede crowd (without permission) and Stu growled "that black bastard, he did it, you're made now". 

Here's two vs. OMG

I think this is the one where Abby is working face and does a little dance (!) outside the ring. 

The saving grace of one of the worst and most embarrassing cards in wrestling history. Remember drunk Jake? Maybe this might make you forget it. Probably not. 

EDIT: I was gonna post a Stampede video of Bret attacking Abby but the interview at the end has no audio, so there's no point