DVDVR Message Board

TNA Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 5/1

*Taped for Xplosion: Austin Aries def. Tigre Uno after the Brainbuster

TNA Impact Wrestling - Airing May 1, 2014 from Orlando, FL

*Backstage, Eric Young talks about how he's surprised a lot of people. He goes to MVP's office to see him. Gunner, Bobby Roode, and Mr. Anderson show up as well. MVP says Young had a test of endurance and there will be another test tonight. MVP had them each pull a card where the guy who pulls the highest card has to face the winner of a match between the two with the lowest cards. Roode picks the highest card so it will be Mr. Anderson vs Gunner with the winner facing Bobby Roode and the winner of that will challenge Eric Young for the world title.

*Magnus comes to the ring for a promo. He mocks MVP's test of endurance and calls him out. Abyss comes out from the crowd and attacks Magnus. Abyss goes for Janice but Magnus escapes.

*Bully Ray came to the ring with a table that had "Dixie" written on it. Bully said the fans never let him down. Bully talked about Sacrifice and says he had a bruised rib and a cracked rib but he's still standing. Bully declares that if he sees Dixie tonight, she will go through the table.

*Gunner def. Mr. Anderson after Hangar 18 to advance to face Roode. James Storm tried to cost Gunner but did not succeed.

*Ethan Carter III comes out for a promo. He announces next week he will face Kurt Angle one on one. EC3 talks about their history. He says he will work an exhibition match now with his sparring partner Rockstar Spud. Kurt Angle interrupts and comes out to the stage. Angle says next week he will beat EC3, hurt him, and end his streak. Angle states that he will snap his ankle and the pain begins in seven days.

*Bobby Roode def. Gunner after the Roode Bomb to earn a world title shot tonight.

*Dixie Carter came to the ring with security for a promo. Security brought Bully's table into the ring and Dixie sat on it, saying she hasn't forgotten what Bully did to her. Dixie says she put the master of the tables match through a table, which she claims is the first time that's happened. Dixie says Bully doesn't intimidate her and that he should fear her. Bully came out but was stopped by security. Crowd chanted "Put her through a table". Bully says the crowd and the world wants to see it. Bully says he does not fear Dixie. Bully asks the security if they really want to do this and talks about everyone wanting to see him put Dixie through the table. Bully tells them to walk away and they do except for the three guarding Dixie in the ring. Bully gives them until the count of 5 to leave but they don't so he rushes the ring to attack. Bully fights off the guards and grabs Dixie for the powerbomb. MVP comes out and tells Bully to leave her alone. MVP says it's his ring not Dixie's and allows her to leave while she has the chance, then bans them both from the Impact Zone.

*Willow def. James Storm via DQ when Storm pushed the referee. Storm went after Willow with a piece of broken glass but Willow blocked with his umbrella. Mr. Anderson showed up on stage and hit Storm with the Mic Check on the ramp.

*The Beautiful People came to the ring in long black dresses and say they were told they had to follow a more appropriate dress code. They say they take orders from nobody so if they "can't" do something, they will do it. They say they will take it all off right now and have their music played. They tease stripping but stopped. Angelina called the fans pathetic and asked if they really thought they would do it. Velvet said they could all go back to their obese wives and girlfriends. Angelina tells everyone to pay respect to the new record breaking six time champion. Gail Kim interrupts. Gail says the knockouts division was built on sexy women but also wrestling. Gail said they promised a striptease so she'll strip them of everything. Gail attacks and TBP bail. Madison Rayne & Brittany showed up on stage and strip TBP of their dresses as they then run away.

*The Wolves & Sanada def. DJ Z & The BroMans when Davey pinned DJ Z

*Eric Young def. Bobby Roode after the flying elbow drop to retain the TNA World Heavyweight Championship.

• Like 1

So if I understand this correctly MVP:

* Forces Rude/Anderson/Gunner to run a gauntlet to face the Champ, who's not a heel

* Blocks Bully Ray from getting revenge on Dixie, then bans both Dixie AND Bully

* Tells TBP to stop dressing provocatively, which I'm sure the crowd didn't like

* Makes the world champ wrestle a title match the day after his PPV title match.

MVP is a heel right?

• Like 1

*Willow def. James Storm via DQ when Storm pushed the referee. Storm went after Willow with a piece of broken glass but Willow blocked with his umbrella. Mr. Anderson showed up on stage and hit Storm with the Mic Check on the ramp.

Greatest phrase in the history of pro wrestling spoiler write-ups?

• Like 2

The fact that TNA actually ran a TV taping on a Monday night tells you everything you need to know about TNA.

While still stupid - I am assuming they are taping shows all this week so they couldn't give up Monday

Of course - that is another issue of taping like 6 months at a time

So if I understand this correctly MVP:

* Forces Rude/Anderson/Gunner to run a gauntlet to face the Champ, who's not a heel

* Blocks Bully Ray from getting revenge on Dixie, then bans both Dixie AND Bully

* Tells TBP to stop dressing provocatively, which I'm sure the crowd didn't like

* Makes the world champ wrestle a title match the day after his PPV title match.

MVP is a heel right?

TBP was probably heeling the fans. Faking a strip show for the crowd doesn't work if they're basically naked already.

I was all set up to hate the show based on the spoilers, but the card stuff was brief and the promos were all pretty good. Bram showed more fire in one backstage bit (well, maybe two technically) than most guys have in ages. I liked the brisk pace of everything, although it was too rushed at points. Gunner-Anderson was good-ish, but Anderson needs to stop making his gear in CAW modes. I don't know how Storm could accidentally hit a kick that involves facing a guy to the wrong guy, but...yeah - he mistook the flabby blonde guy for the ripped brunette he was aiming for. Shockingly, Gunner-Roode was really good. They're doing pretty close to all-in with Gunner, and he feels like a much bigger deal with the Storm feud than he seemed before it. Dixie's promo with Bully was shockingly great. It's going to be fun seeing her go through a table at Slammiversary. Storm-Willow was nothing beyond some goofy crap, so it was amusing on at least one level. The six-man tag was basically just an abridged version of the PPV match with some Sanada stuff thrown in, but it told a simple story of the secondary champs kicking a ton of ass, so I dug it. The main event was pretty good stuff. Not quite on par with a top-level PPV main event, but better than EY-Magnus. I loved them showing a bit of sportsmanship from Roode at the end - nice little thing to reference later for a face turn. The Bully stuff at the end was a bit stupid.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/05/tna-impact-5-1-14.html

Screens -

So.
acea69324040059.jpg

Many.
5f0032324040072.jpg

Buys.
b3776a324040081.jpg

bb2869324038101.jpg

27cc22324047268.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/qyno0hzxtn80mobxcuvgugg4ifg0iav8

Overall I thought the show was pretty good. A lot better than last week and that show wasn't the worst either. Spud and EC3 once again had the best segment of the night. Their chemistry is unreal. EY continues to entertain me with his new serious approach. I've had "go away" heat with Dixie all the way up until she came back from losing at Lockdown. I don't know what it is, but I've been enjoying her work lately. There's really no complaints from me about the product except the Knux stuff, but I'm waiting to see where it's going first.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't understand all of the negativity surrounding TNA. I enjoy their product much more than WWE right now. Not saying WWE sucks or anything, but a lot of stuff they do is downright cringe worthy to me. I think my biggest problem with them is that final segments hardly ever end with wrestling. Plus I hate the way they treat backstage segments like no one knows that there's a camera there filming them.

I also don't see what's "Russoriffic" about the past few months either. This weeks Raw felt more like a Russo show than anything TNA has produced in the past few months while the "Russo is back with the company" rumor has been floating around.

I think a lot of what WWE are doing wrong at the moment is overlooked because of the wider context of a really strong roster being given regular time to work decent matches. The TNA booking isn't actually that bad right now, but Eric Young is no Daniel Bryan, Abyss is no Kane and everything else is detail really.

I think a lot of what WWE are doing wrong at the moment is overlooked because of the wider context of a really strong roster being given regular time to work decent matches. The TNA booking isn't actually that bad right now, but Eric Young is no Daniel Bryan, Abyss is no Kane and everything else is detail really.

I watch both products religiously so I know better than a lot the people comparing Daniel Bryan and EY because from what I can tell a bunch of them don't even watch TNA or they would know better. I'm not saying there's no similarities between the two because there are. Both won the title after wrestling earlier the same night, both were underdogs and both have beards, but other than that there's nothing else that's really that similar.

I'm also not saying that it wasn't their intentions to capitalize on the Daniel Bryan craze, but I doubt it. Even if it was, I don't care because I've enjoyed the past few weeks of TNA more than anything since sometime in 2012.

In my opinion Abyss is more of a mix of Cactus Jack with a touch of Kane than anything else.

Liked EC3/Bateman since NXT4 when he was a standout personality(chicks and America!)...was genuinely disappointed when he was eliminated.  Always liked him more as a goofy face than as a serious heel, but he's found a great balance in his current role.  He had a great line a few weeks ago when Angle asked him if he REALLY wanted to be in the ring with him(after Kurt revealed that he wasn't as hurt as EC3 thought he was):  "Um...not really?"  Spud is hugely entertaining and a great comedic partner for him.

I watch both products religiously so I know better than a lot the people comparing Daniel Bryan and EY because from what I can tell a bunch of them don't even watch TNA or they would know better. I'm not saying there's no similarities between the two because there are. Both won the title after wrestling earlier the same night, both were underdogs and both have beards, but other than that there's nothing else that's really that similar.

I'm also not saying that it wasn't their intentions to capitalize on the Daniel Bryan craze, but I doubt it. Even if it was, I don't care because I've enjoyed the past few weeks of TNA more than anything since sometime in 2012.

In my opinion Abyss is more of a mix of Cactus Jack with a touch of Kane than anything else.

I appreciate that Daniel Bryan has a different style than EY, but let's face it - he's 5 times better than EY, who is fine and all, but still a little goofy for my tastes. Abyss is no Cactus Jack either - Foley isn't cool thesedays but c'mon man, Abyss is beyond terrible. What was wrong with Joseph Park?

I don't really see how Magnus is supposed to have gone soft after he kicked out of both if EY's finishers.

The show is back to being watchable, so I am almost a defender of the Crash TV approach. I still think that EY has been given too much too soon; it should have been Roode - by having him take out A.J. Styles they kind of had to wait on that passing over, but it still feels like that's the general shape of things. I see EY as a transitional guy and doubt he'll be defending at BFG. The BFG series could be a lot of fun though - it's the one thing that differentiates them from WWE.

Sooo .... Mankind, then?

I used to call him Kanekind.

I can't for the life of me imagine why they ditched the awesome Joseph Park character in favor of the stale Abyss.

Sooo .... Mankind, then?

Not really.

I appreciate that Daniel Bryan has a different style than EY, but let's face it - he's 5 times better than EY, who is fine and all, but still a little goofy for my tastes. Abyss is no Cactus Jack either - Foley isn't cool thesedays but c'mon man, Abyss is beyond terrible. What was wrong with Joseph Park?

I don't really see how Magnus is supposed to have gone soft after he kicked out of both if EY's finishers.

The show is back to being watchable, so I am almost a defender of the Crash TV approach. I still think that EY has been given too much too soon; it should have been Roode - by having him take out A.J. Styles they kind of had to wait on that passing over, but it still feels like that's the general shape of things. I see EY as a transitional guy and doubt he'll be defending at BFG. The BFG series could be a lot of fun though - it's the one thing that differentiates them from WWE.

Abyss use to not be terrible IMO. I use to really enjoy his work up until around the time he started talking.

I really miss Joseph Park. I especially loved when he was trying to become a wrestler and starting out as a rookie and didn't understand the terminology. A lot of fans seemed to not like him though. They would rather have the terrible looking Abyss we now have. Makes no sense, but that's wrestling fans for ya.

Sooo .... Mankind, then?
Not really.

Destroyer of dreams, is what you are.

• Like 1