DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

MCW had that insane first two or three games that really skewed perceptions of him for the entire season.

I mean, he seriously was league MVP at the end of the first week.  Then he fell off.

(Good year for a rookie overall though, other than the truly atrocious shooting.)

I hate to be one of THOSE guys but I don't see what a Rondo/Love/Green team really does..  Rondo is obviously better than Rubio at both ends and it's the east so maybe they could get into the 48-win range depending on how our bench is looking but it's not a team that can contend for a title. They could be fun for a round or two but just be prepared to have your heart ripped out in the playoffs year after year. I don't like this master plan. I'd rather they take someone in this draft and build young.

I just don't understand why Love would stay in the West when he wants to make the playoffs. Denver didn't come close to making the playoffs last year and who knows what Golden State will be like without Klay.

I don't mind taking Love. I think that team can do a lot more than people think, but I do think that Green is too sporadic a player to build anything around right now.

But Rondo/Bradley/Love/Green/Olynyk can be scary good in 2-3 years I think.

Yeah, tons of assumptions. I've heard Sullinger/Olynyk too, but I think they'd be idiots to ship both out and if they're only shipping one, it's probably Sullinger who's farther along progession wise than Olynyk.

How do you Celts fans feel about them dealing Rondo for younger parts and/or picks, assuming they can't get Love?

Because a fully healthy Rondo seems like he would be A.) wasting his prime on a rebuilding team and B.) talented enough to possibly hinder some of that rebuilding by helping them win a few extra games.

But, on the other hand, it would be trading a guy in his prime who is a really excellent player, and one of the best (arguably the best) pure passing point guard in the NBA.

Seems like a waste to trade Rondo.  The Celtics have a ton of trade assets.  If not Love, then some other star will probably be available in the next year to put beside Rondo.  I am a huge advocate of the Celtics acquiring Omer Asik whether or not they get Love.

Someone on Twitter said this and I completely agree, ESPN (First Take) has ruined decent sports conversations. Everything has to be hot take. Everyone has to have some opinion about about something, not realizing Skip Bayless gets paid millions to troll and you just sound stupid making the same points, but because he's on ESPN it gives him this unjust credibility that's annoying

Someone on Twitter said this and I completely agree, ESPN (First Take) has ruined decent sports conversations. Everything has to be hot take. Everyone has to have some opinion about about something, not realizing Skip Bayless gets paid millions to troll and you just sound stupid making the same points, but because he's on ESPN it gives him this unjust credibility that's annoying

And Im in no way a Skip Bayless fan but if you listen to him on the His and Her podcast he flat out admits that he is playing off Smith. I believe its there where he said when they have there morning meeting to go over the topics he looks to Steven A to see what side Steven A is going to take and even if he agrees he takes the other side. So instead of having a conversation and talking they create a damn argument. At least on PTI and Around the Horn if people agree on the topic they can just flat out say yeah I agree with what he/she said and move on.

Isaiah Austin's basketball career is over as he was told he has Marfan Syndrome yesterday and can't play basketball anymore. He was considered a 2nd round pick in this year's draft. Really sad news. Kid has had some tough breaks in life.

Jesus, that's terrible.  He had a great year at Baylor, and always seemed like a really outstanding kid.  At least they caught it now before something happened.

"I can't wait to hear what Skip and Stephen A. say tomorrow" is a phrase I see too much on the Twitters. Especially when LeBron is involved. I need to re-read that Dead Spin piece from a couple years ago where they said it's pretty much First Take vs. Every other show at the network. I've seen ESPN talking heads be forced to debate some comment made on First Take earlier that day

I haven't watched First Take in years.  Does Skip still use the "Prince James" thing after LeBron won two rings?

Same here and I am very grateful to TIm Tebow for the help in making that happen. I am willing to put it on though if Mark Cuban goes on again to humiliate Skip once more.

Melo reportedly going to opt-out. Looking at the Bulls and Rockets as possible destinations. I think the Lakers and Celtics might be teams willing to take back a contract if they throw in a pick w/ whatever big contract there is. I would not be shocked if the Lakers dealt w/ the Bulls for another 1st round pick and took back Dunleavy's contract. Its one year right? ....ONE YEAR, RIGHT? Doubt they'd touch Boozer's contract unless they got both picks & they worked...errrrr...talked... some other team into taking Nash's final year.

I could also see the Knicks maybe do a sign-and-trade w/ Melo. Phil likes Lin and I could see the Knicks wanting to add some picks. I'm sure he'd listen to the Bulls as well. I wouldn't be shocked if this was the more likely scenario.

Rudy Gay opted-in. Not shocked at all. He's looking to work out an extension w/ the Kings as well.

Finally, I predict a mid-season Derek Fisher misses his family and quits coaching the Knicks breaking news report...

• Like 2

And Im in no way a Skip Bayless fan but if you listen to him on the His and Her podcast he flat out admits that he is playing off Smith. I believe its there where he said when they have there morning meeting to go over the topics he looks to Steven A to see what side Steven A is going to take and even if he agrees he takes the other side. So instead of having a conversation and talking they create a damn argument. At least on PTI and Around the Horn if people agree on the topic they can just flat out say yeah I agree with what he/she said and move on.

Getting paid to troll Stephen A Smith in public sounds like the most awesome job ever.

Latest...

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine

Free-agent whisper one week out: Mavs not only expect to have chance to make face-to-face pitch to Melo but also plan to pursue Pau Gasol

Pau and Dirk would be a great combo offensively, god help the Mavs on defense though. Pau's dreadful on that end. He's still a lot better than most centers. He averaged like 18-10 on a team were he didn't like the coach. :) He's a good guy too. I think he'll be in high demand w/ contending teams.

Latest...

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine

Free-agent whisper one week out: Mavs not only expect to have chance to make face-to-face pitch to Melo but also plan to pursue Pau Gasol

Pau and Dirk would be a great combo offensively, god help the Mavs on defense though. Pau's dreadful on that end. He's still a lot better than most centers. He averaged like 18-10 on a team were he didn't like the coach. :) He's a good guy too. I think he'll be in high demand w/ contending teams.

I doubt we could get both.  Also, Pau would likely have to accept a 6th man role, as I doubt Carlisle wants the headache of watching them both try to play D.