DVDVR Message Board

Biogenesis Suspensions Begin...

RIPPA

Especially since, of all the sports, baseball is the one where steroids would least likely lead to one player injuring another.

This isn't a player safety thing, it's a bunch of old guys crying about records.

• Like 3

Particularly in a sport that elected almost a half dozen guys to the Hall of Fame who made their fame on doctoring the ball. It's baseball. Cheating's always been a part.

• Like 1

I think Bronson Arroyo of all people correctly said that none of the people who are morally outraged about steroid use (it was Manny in this case) are outraged because a person is going to die at 50 from liver failure, they are outraged because someone hit a ball a little bit farther. The whole thing is just an absurd witch hunt that almost every single media member and baseball employee is complicit in. 

• Like 1

You can clean up the sport if you get the guys who are cheating out of the sport.  Fining a team isn't going to do a damn thing.  

Short-sighted. You can clean up the sport if you make cheating unprofitable for all involved. As long as owners have no skin in the steroids game, they'll continue to make no serious effort to change the doping culture.

No, it doesn't work like that.  Players are always going to push the limit to be as great as they can.  If the risk is worth it to them.  The potential reward is tremendous so to balance that out you have to make the risk tremendous.  Up until now, the risk hasn't been that great.  It's not the owners responsibility. 

It's not the owners responsibility. 

Right. It currently isn't. Hence, they pretend to give precisely as much of a fuck about steroids in their locker room as PR and media relations require them to while doing nothing whatsoever to discourage their use. Can owners eliminate PED use? Of course not, but they can change the culture of baseball far more than individual players can. If the players and coaches replace the "let it stay here" locker room mentality with an awareness that users risk hurting them team, the peer pressure to NOT use will do more to discourage younger players from using then all the player fines and suspensions in the world.

I'm pretty much in Fowler's camp of not personally giving a shit about steroids, but if MLB wants to be serious about eliminating their use, then the consequences of that use have to fall on EVERYONE who profits from them. Right now, it's the sporting equivalent of mandatory minimum sentencing: All the posturing of appearing tough on rule-breaking without the cost of actually BEING tough on it.

Especially since, of all the sports, baseball is the one where steroids would least likely lead to one player injuring another.

This isn't a player safety thing, it's a bunch of old guys crying about records.

I kind of also missed base stealing and defense and guys not striking out 200 times a year or not being intentionally walked seven times in a series.

A couple of those things have come back which is nice.  But Big-Mac-ball K/K/HR/K/BB/BB/K/K/BB//K/BB//HR/HRK/K/K/BB/BB/K/K/K/BB/K/HR is boring.

Did A-Rod really hire GENE SNITSKY as personal security or did I dream that?

Seems like just about the most counter-productive person to hire from a PR standpoint in A-Rod's position.

But IT WASN'T HIS FAULT!!!

EDIT: Apparently the Reading Phillies hired him to work security for A-Rod when Trenton came to town. So he isn't actually on the guy's payroll or anything.

No one gives a shit about steroids in any sport but baseball.

I don't mean fans either, I don't think the majority of the fans care regardless of sport, I mean people running the sport or that sport's particular group of old, crusty, shitty sports writers.

• Like 1

Robert Fick announced that he did roids a few times in his career

The more amusing thing was the story was broken by Roy Firestone

Yes that Roy Firestone

How come they won't out the NBA guys?

Because both football and basketball understand that if they don't talk about it, the public at large won't think about it and therefore, assume that there's no problem.  It bypasses the issue easily and effectively.

I'm not really talking about them.  I read an article about how there are supposedly NBA names on the list.  What's preventing those names from being released like the baseball players were?  That's my question.

How come they won't out the NBA guys?

Because both football and basketball understand that if they don't talk about it, the public at large won't think about it and therefore, assume that there's no problem.  It bypasses the issue easily and effectively.

I'm not really talking about them.  I read an article about how there are supposedly NBA names on the list.  What's preventing those names from being released like the baseball players were?  That's my question.

Hmmm.  If that's true, I don't know.  Personally, I get the impression that 1.) there aren't as many NBA guys on the juice as many may think and 2.) the ones that are know to complete their cycles during the off-season.  That doesn't really answer your question, though, just my two cents on the topic as it relates to the NBA.

Thing is, I want baseball to be different than the other sports.  The pace is different and my experience of the game has always been different.  I don't want baseball to be a game of giants doing giant things.  I know that there are a lot of supernatural things in baseball...that a pitcher's arm is not something you can work into, but something miraculous...hell, even a good outfielder's arm is near inhuman.

And the eyesight and coordination of a good hitter is also beyond the normal human.  But I still like to see it as a game for relatively normal humans doing things we all used to sort of do at one time.

I don't want to watch a game of giant monsters hitting flaming dingers off of satellites, despite what MLB network or ESPN's opening animations might tell us.  I've got the NBA and the NFL if I want to see Titans explode the world.  And the WWE if I want to see the good Titan win.

• Like 3