DVDVR Message Board

Apparently any movie with Pai Mei as the main villain. Executioners from Shaolin and the faux sequel/remake Clan of the White Lotus had both, and reading the plot of Born Invincible it looks the same. He did the nut trick in Kill Bill too, remember when Beatrix kicked him in the junk?

Shit.  Flying Five Finger One Armed Eight Pole Shaolin Exploding Death Touch Thursday starts early this week.

All times are EST:

10:00 AM - The 14 Amazons

12:30 PM - Shaolin Abbot

2:15 PM -   The Deadly Breaking Sword

4:30 PM -   The 14 Amazons (repeat)

7:00 PM -   Shaolin Prince

9:00 PM -   Shaolin Handlock

Next Thursday is the El Rey network debut of MOTHER FUCKING FLAG OF IRON~! at 1:30 PM!  FUCK YEAH~!

Finally got around to watching Dolemite and Switchblade Sisters.  Holy fucking fuck, these were tremendous.  The hype before Dolemite about how the lead guy was a poet with a style that inspired early rap was awesome.  I was hyped as could be to see it and damn did it deliver.  From now on when I hear about a Creeper I won't think about Minecraft but instead about Dolemite.  Awesome!  And Switchblade Sisters was just all kinds of badass.  You knew it was going to end the way it did and it was a wonderfully fun ride to the finish.

There's so man martial arts flicks that are popping up now.  Shit, I need to clear out my DVR a bit.  I'm a bit disappointed I missed out on Flag of Iron, need to look out for that.  Between El Ray and WWE Network there's only so much time in the day to see all this goodness.  But motherfucker this network is a gem among gems.  And for crying out loud, somehow Piranesi needs to get hooked up with all this.

Aw, nuts to that! Nowadays I've kind of gotten accustomed to more conetmplative stuff, like what I've got queued up tonight on Oxygen, two early 90s classics:

From the guide

OXY - 8:00: (1992) A young woman (Tiffany Amber-Thiesen) struggling with temporary blindness inherits her estranged mother's (Cher, in a series of flashbacks) scrapbook collection and rediscovers, touching one page at a time, both her sight and the joy of family memories in THE GLUESTICK THAT BINDS US.

And in an emotional one-two punch, that is followed immediately by the sequel:

OXY - 10:00 (1993) An exchange student (Alyssa Milano) must overcome temporary paralysis to realize her dream of bringing scrapbooking to the war-torn region of Bosnia-Herzegovina while finding romance with Ivanko (Dean Cain), a young war criminal who owns the only pair of serrated scissors in the country, in NOT WITHOUT MY GLITTER PEN!.  (Special cameo by Jack Palance as Madeliene Albright).

Jealous?  Yeah.  You don't need to answer that.  I know you are.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So this is gonna be a mix of backstage segments shot like movies and matches in "the Temple". There's a heel promoter (of course) offering $100,000 or some such amount to the best wrestler at the end of the show. Announcers are Matt Striker and Vampiro. 

Blue Demon Jr. vs. Chavo Guerrero Jr.: Pretty plain match. Demon is ostensibly the face but stomps hands and busts out some nasty loud slaps like a rudo, something I've seen Matt D. here complain about a lot in his lucha reviewing. Demon takes the duke. Of note: these are one-fall matches.

Konnan segment backstage with Dario Cueto (the promoter). Konnan is behind Prince Puma and Dario is behind Johnny Mundo (John Morrison). 

Puff piece on Sexy Star, her English is fair but they subtitle her anyway. She looks more ripped than I remember. They put her in an intergender match with some dude wearing a mask and beard ensemble that Striker thankfully points out is in the vein of Charlie Brown and Red River Jack (looks way more Jimmy Valiant than Bruiser Brody). He bullies Star around, they go back and forth, asshead wins by pulling the tights. If you're gonna do an intergender match with some El Duce lookin dude telling the woman to go home at least have Sexy Star win for fuck's sake. 

There was some Chavito bit backstage that I didn't pay attention to. 

Johnny Mundo vs. Prince Puma is your main event. Pretty fun match, lots of flippy spots and solid back and forth. This is technico vs. technico so nobody's heeling it up. It's good seeing Morrison again, he hasn't lost a step and there's only one minor parcour bit. Vampiro is constantly saying "bro" on commentary and says Konnan is evil. They cut a fast pace for a nice bit of time, fight around the announce table which looks like a cheap plywood box, and Mundo finally wins with his split-legged moonsault/tornillo named the End of the World. Afterwards they compliment each other and then promoter dude comes out to shake the briefcase full of money in their faces until two cholo-looking dudes and a huge black guy come to the ring for the beatdown with Cueto saying he hired the best fighters in the world, not just luchadors, and these guys work for him. Mundo takes a huge chokeslam here. 

Overall an okay start. The filmed segments are jarring but aren't as bad as TNA's pro-shot backstage crap. I'm no fan of yet another evil promoter storyline but what can you do. The ring in the Temple is ENORMOUS, I don't think I've seen one this big ever. It's a wonder Johnny and Puma didn't gas out with all the running they had to do. We'll see where this goes, they've got a lot more guys on the lineup to introduce as well as more luchadoras.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucha_Underground

There's the full lineup. Here's some fill-in from Fredo. 

You should know the AAA wrestlers Fenix, Drago, and Pentagon Jr. 

Mil Muertes is Mesias. One of the other masked dudes is Hijo del Fantasma. Johnny Mundo is Morrison. Ricochet is Prince Puma. Its not that big of a roster were you wouldn't know half the roster.  The local SoCal guys fill out the undercard. I'm guessing those are the guys most are not too familiar with.

Mascarita Sagrada's also on the roster.  Their wiki page needs a lot of work.

I went to this past Saturday's taping and I'm still not sure how that promotion will work out. It felt like a combination of LLUSA/WSX/AAA.  That could be good or bad depending on how you feel or felt about any of those promotions.

• 3 weeks later...

There have been a lot of movies on El Rey featuring Lo Lieh lately.  I am thinking they need to do a marathon of the guy some Saturday featuring King Boxer / Five Fingers of Death.

ENTER THE DRAGON PREMIERS NEXT MONDAY~!

There have been a lot of movies on El Rey featuring Lo Lieh lately.  I am thinking they need to do a marathon of the guy some Saturday featuring King Boxer / Five Fingers of Death.

ENTER THE DRAGON PREMIERS NEXT MONDAY~!

It actually had a "soft premier" a few nights ago.

Every day it seems like they throw on another pair of Shaw Bros. movies. Shaolin anything... there were like three of them that I just let cycle on TV while I was doing shit yesterday. There's a couple more coming on along with Enter the Dragon and Chungking Express.

If anyone wants to watch/rewatch, all three eps of Lucha Underground are gonna be on in a row Sunday night. 

Every day it seems like they throw on another pair of Shaw Bros. movies. Shaolin anything... there were like three of them that I just let cycle on TV while I was doing shit yesterday. There's a couple more coming on along with Enter the Dragon and Chungking Express.

That's one of the oddest double bills ever.  CE is one of my favorite movies, but it's pretty much the total opposite of what I iamgine when it comes to this network.

Someone there is going to have to learn not all Chinese movies are kung fu.

It was a Tarantino re-release stateside so that's why it was on there. And also, it is indeed fucking GREAT. I had no idea what to expect, sat here and watched the whole thing and thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't hurt to have "California Dreaming" come on as snow covers everything outside my window, either. 

Lucha Underground marathon on right now

Army of Darkness is your Grindhouse Theater offering of the week.

The kung-fu double bill on Thursday is Ten Tigers of Kwangtung and Duel For Gold.

An odd pairing of the very wire fu style of Yuen Chor with the not so very wire fu stylings of Chang Cheh.

Ten Tigers would seem to be the powerhouse of the night since it features The Venom Mob and Alexander mother fucking Fu Sheng, but Duel For Gold has Lieh Lo and Ivy Ling Po. 

It has been over two decades since I last saw Duel For Gold, so I may as well be watching it for the first time.

I have seen 14 Amazons in the schedule at least twice this week but no replay of Flag of Iron.  I call bullshit.

Rodriguez needs to get the rights to show Kung Fu Commandos.

Some international horror movies would also be awesome.  [REC] and Machine Girl would be perfect for this channel.

Halloween was the window for a flood of old school devil movies to premier on our beloved network.

The Omen Trilogy, The Car, The Devil's Rain, Beyond The Door, The Sentinel, and the so bad it is awesome Fear No Evil were right there.