DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

@OSJ John, I don;t think either of those examples apply, apples to apples, here.  If you want to discuss book sales, a closer scenario would be:

A guy you don't know has asked your friend to be the go between and buy a rare book from you.

Normally, you'd part with it for $2000.  You and your friend know this as you have previously sold similar books to your friend.

Your friend tells the buyer you need $8000 for it.  The buyer pays $8000 despite the fact that your normal asking price would have been $2000.  Your friend helped just you swindle a guy out of $6000.  I'm no lawyer but it sounds like Flair expected Crockett to collude with him to cheat unknowing Turner execs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

@OSJ John, I don;t think either of those examples apply, apples to apples, here.  If you want to discuss book sales, a closer scenario would be:

A guy you don't know has asked your friend to be the go between and buy a rare book from you.

Normally, you'd part with it for $2000.  You and your friend know this as you have previously sold similar books to your friend.

Your friend tells the buyer you need $8000 for it.  The buyer pays $8000 despite the fact that your normal asking price would have been $2000.  Your friend helped just you swindle a guy out of $6000.  I'm no lawyer but it sounds like Flair expected Crockett to collude with him to cheat unknowing Turner execs.

???? My friend, in the scenario that you present there's no "swindle" or "fraud" present. What you have is an impatient or uneducated buyer, neither of which are my responsibility to correct. A thing is worth precisely what someone is willing to pay for it, that's how free market works. I've got some copies of my new book for sale, I've previously mentioned that they are postpaid in the US for $30. If you were to call me up and want one and I charged you $50, that would be dishonest as I've already stated an asking price. On the other hand, if you called me up the day I got the box and demanded a copy and I quoted fifty bucks. No harm, no foul. An item is worth whatever the purchaser wishes to pay, they always have the right to not buy something.

FWIW: Wyld Samurai is right, Flair should have had a clause pertaining to this in is contract, but we're talking about the wrestling business in general and JCP in particular, so I'm really not surprised that there wasn't one.

Did Vince ever bring in Mike Awesome? (besides One Night Stand) If not, why not? 

In Jan 2000, the guy has the exactly look Vince drools over. And he's pretty mobile for a guy his size. Surely they could have found a place for him. 

Can't believe Flair is holding a grudge all these years later because he didn't get that extra Turner money which would currently be sitting in some ex-wife's bank account.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Peck said:

Hey now, that could have been the money Flair contributed in to a Roth IRA.

Or he could've bought a KFC and sold Georgia Gold. Or Global Gold, one of those.

• Like 1

I always thought Awesome was hurt by going to WCW before WWE.  He never really got a good chance in WCW.  He was booked either as a flunky or a midcard comedy guy. I wouldn't be surprised if more fans remember him as the "Fat Chick Thriila" or "That 70's Guy" than remember him as an ECW badass,  When I think of him, the first three things that come to mind are" 1)the Partridge Family bus; 2) "The Fat Chick Thrilla"; 3) nearly murdering one of the Insane Clown Posse.  His ECW run is kinda vague in my mind, aside from him and Tanaka walloping each other with unprotected chair shots.

He was also hurt by being a big guy who worked in companies full of bigger guys after ECW.  His size wasn't that remarkable once he got out of ECW.

• Like 1

Awesome's decline started with dropping the belt to Taz, "the fat-chick thrilla" and "that 70s guy" certainly didn't help. Dude should have gone to Japan and stayed there.

23 hours ago, zev said:

Or he could've bought a KFC and sold Georgia Gold. Or Global Gold, one of those.

It's Flair for fucks sake, he would've spent the dough on a giant nude portrait of himself for the living room.

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

Awesome's decline started with dropping the belt to Taz, "the fat-chick thrilla" and "that 70s guy" certainly didn't help. Dude should have gone to Japan and stayed there.

Taz? 

That's just silly. You're right. Japan would have loved him, and he'd have learned to be a good worker in the ring with people like Akiyama. 

He spent most of his career in Japan, with FMW. The ECW, WCW and WWF bits were right at the end of his run.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AxB said:

He spent most of his career in Japan, with FMW. The ECW, WCW and WWF bits were right at the end of his run.

Fuck, I am ignorant. :lol:

It's all good. Maybe FMW is where he learned to take and give unprotected chair shots. Only their chairs were on fire and coated with rusty razor blades. 

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

Correct, and he should have stayed there or tried to catch on with AJPW. I realize exchanging chairshots with Mr. Pogo can become tiresome, but it's certainly better than losing a belt to a roided-up dwarf and then being "the fat chick thrilla".

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AxB said:

I have to wonder in retrospect why he came back to the US to work in bingo halls for Heyman. Do you know if he spoke Japanese? Got acclimated to the culture? By all accounts, Japan is a pretty damn racist culture, "gaijin" is not a term of endearment, some guys like Kenny Omega seem to adapt so well that they're loved like a native son. Others, even when pushed to the moon in wrestling, are always "outsiders" and treated pretty shabbily socially. I wonder if that was the deal with Mike Awesome? I do know that if you work there and don't speak the language, you're a barbarian, little better than a trained monkey in the eyes of the natives.

4 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I have to wonder in retrospect why he came back to the US to work in bingo halls for Heyman. 

I always assumed he wanted to be closer to his family.  He got married in 1991 and had his first kid in 1996.  Also, I imagine Heyman made hooking up with ECW sound like a trip to the promised land. Paul is pretty damn good at talking people into things.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I always assumed he wanted to be closer to his family.  He got married in 1991 and had his first kid in 1996.  Also, I imagine Heyman made hooking up with ECW sound like a trip to the promised land. Paul is pretty damn good at talking people into things.

Sadly, that makes all the sense in the world.

PaulH. "We're revolutionizing wrestling, the fans line up for hours before a show! We're going to be bigger than WWF, plus, I've got the phone number of Sabu's pot connection, come on over!"

I know I'm stating the obvious, but it is incredible how awful Russo was on TV. I just watched him hog away all the spotlight from Steiner who beat Goldberg. Also, did he ever really get any type of come-uppance? 

Watching PPVs from 2000, WCW in their worst period still drew big and vocal crowds. Had they had a decent structure and reasonable business model, they might have very well stayed alive. Of course, they might have never gotten that big without the dollar wasting.

Something I thought about lately. Anyone else ever find it odd that Piper didn't come into WCW just for Hogan to get his "win back" on him? Hogan jobs CLEAN in the first match, and barely escapes with his title at Superbrawl. Hell, go down the line to Halloween Havoc,and Hogan loses again. Was this just a case of Piper being Piper and steadfastly refusing to do any jobs? Or was it Hogan actually playing nice? Maybe both? Considering how Hogan was around this time with guys like Warrior(and apparently trying to bring in Yoko for the same reason), it always stuck out to me.

1 hour ago, RandomAct said:

Something I thought about lately. Anyone else ever find it odd that Piper didn't come into WCW just for Hogan to get his "win back" on him? Hogan jobs CLEAN in the first match, and barely escapes with his title at Superbrawl. Hell, go down the line to Halloween Havoc,and Hogan loses again. Was this just a case of Piper being Piper and steadfastly refusing to do any jobs? Or was it Hogan actually playing nice? Maybe both? Considering how Hogan was around this time with guys like Warrior(and apparently trying to bring in Yoko for the same reason), it always stuck out to me.

Don't know. The only guy that could have given you an honest answer is dead and Piper was as big a bullshitter as Hogan, so I wouldn't have put too much stock in his explanation.

• Like 1