DVDVR Message Board

Is Sting a Hall of Fame Wrestler?

Is anyone ever going to explain why Kurt is in the hall of fame besides "that was then, this is now"?  Where did he draw? What matches are even worth checking out post-2003? Forget Sting for a moment, why the heck is Kurt in this thing.

It really starts to lose all credibility when I see inductees like him.

Indeed. He got put in far too early. IIRC, they modified the rules afterwards that they'd have to have at least 10 years experience. If Kurt had to abide by that, it'd be harder for him to get in. But the wrestlers love themselves some Angle. He gave them credibility.

I think if Sting came in for a year/year and a half, he can have a run like Hogan had in 2002 as the old vet that can still bring the goods if you got caught slipping.  Hell, they can use it as an excuse to pimp the network by showing all of Sting's best matches and just how big of a deal he was.  Will Vince allow someone that never worked for him get that type of shine, though?

I wonder what kind of respect Vince has for Sting for never coming to work for him.

Angle was a terrible induction.  If you go back and track it, it was his induction that really killed the interest in the HOF among many fans, geeks, message boarders, et.  It's only been the last two years or so where general interest in discussing it has started to climb dramatically. 

Indeed. He got put in far too early. IIRC, they modified the rules afterwards that they'd have to have at least 10 years experience. If Kurt had to abide by that, it'd be harder for him to get in. But the wrestlers love themselves some Angle. He gave them credibility.

Not sure if the modification did any good.

Would the professional conmen who voted for Angle because it gave the credibility, be less likely to vote for him now?

It didn't stop or slow the "we need to not be biased against contemporary guys like Edge and Tanahashi" campaigning.

Don't know, but I doubt they were running "two kids get in free with an adult" specials like they were at the Omni when the Stinger was on top. 

I got third row next to the ramp tickets to Beach Blast 92 3 weeks before the show. And they were 15 bucks.

Using Dylan's drawing analysis, would it be safe to say Edge drew bigger crowds when he was top guy of Smackdown than Sting did in WCW? 

I think we have discussed before about current WWE (post 2001-ish?). I seem to recall that the concensus was that anymore, people buy the brand. It almost doesn't matter who headlines the shows because it's WWE that people watch -- not Edge, Cena, Punk, etc.

I wonder if that topic is worth revisiting, perhaps in its own thread?

I think Edge is way less HOF worthy than Sting, less HOF worthy than Dan Spivey too.

The goofball Meltzer quote is Edge was #4 guy in the biz for a while.

Guys in the HOF who had featured roles in the WWE between 2000-2011:

1)Chris Benoit
2)Shawn Michaels
3)Kurt Angle
4)Undertaker
5)HHH
6)Eddie Guerrero
7)Rock
8 Chris Jericho
9)Rey Mysterio Jr

I'm choosing not to include Foley and Austin.

#4th guy in biz means he has to be ahead of five of those nine guys?

That's just in his own promotion ( plenty of other guys in the biz internationaly in HOF also from that period-Kpbashi probably most prominent).

I don't buy that there was ever a period where the WWE considered Edge one of their top 4 guys.

From the WOn awards from period where Edge was in the main event mix:

2008 wrestler of the year:

1. CHRIS JERICHO (139)1,198
2. Edge (116)1,168
3. Shawn Michaels (157)1,111
4. Keiji Muto (97)976
5. Nigel McGuinness (45)658
6. John Cena (73)595
7. Shingo Takagi (57)449
8. Cibernetico (53)377
9. Kurt Angle (32)275
10. Bryan Danielson (12)215

HONORABLE MENTION: Hiroshi Tanahashi 199, Kensuke Sasaki 178, Randy Orton 125, HHH 113, Kenta Kobashi 112, Jeff Hardy 85, Naomichi Marufuji 71, Samoa Joe 62

1. CHRIS JERICHO (269)1,815
2. Hiroshi Tanahashi (97)1,057
3. Naruki Doi (51)751
4. C.M. Punk (53)714
5. Randy Orton (67)692
6. Jeff Hardy (46)464
7. John Cena (32)272
8. Davey Richards (11)268
9. Bryan Danielson (20)266
10. Kurt Angle (13)254

HONORABLE MENTION: Mitsuharu Misawa 227, KENTA 182, Shawn Michaels 137, Rey Mysterio 90

1. JOHN CENA (242)1,451
2. Takashi Sugiura (106)802
3. Masato Yoshino (70)754
4. Prince Devitt (58)634
5. Chris Jericho (44)551
6. Davey Richards (58)473
7. Shinsuke Nakamura (35)394
8. The Miz (26)383
9. Kurt Angle (22)340
10. Mistico (10)322

HONORABLE MENTION: Daniel Bryan 281, Rey Mysterio 278, Satoshi Kojima 268, Randy Orton 266, Daisuke Sekimoto 240, Naomichi Marufuji 178, Dr. Wagner Jr. 164, Naruki Doi 142, L.A. Park 115, Tyler Black 113, Chris Hero 101, Shawn Michaels 100, Sheamus 96, Hiroshi Tanahashi 95, Yamato 86, BxB Hulk 72

So that's one year when Cena was both injured and making a movie where the Won voters treated Edge as a top 4 wrestler of the year candidate. For the rest of his "main event mix period" he doesn't even make their top 10 or honorable mentions.

Being 9th-13th most important guy for the fed during a decade feels really like a really less than Sting status.

• Like 1

I still think we should be discussing the Bushwhackers. 

You need to quit calling them "the Bushwackers", their claim to fame is what they did as The Sheepherders (one of the best and most brutal tag-teams ever!)

How did Abdullah the Butcher get inducted then?  Is it for his work and recognition in Japan?

Like it or not, Abby has been an international draw for forty+ years. He went from being a solid worker in great shape to being the fat guy we all know and love today and still managed to reinvent himself as a complete garbage wrestler that people wanted to see. The Sheik and Abby are like Andre-lite in terms of being draws, the difference being that these two did it for forty+ years. When you're a draw for four decades in the US, Trinidad, Japan, Puerto Rico, Canada, and Europe, you are a HOFr.

Has no one bothered to roll out a Gordy List on the Stinger yet? I'm not saying that the results should be the criteria for inclusion, but it serves to highlight the areas that we should focus on. Just a couple of examples.

Was he ever considered the best worker in the world? In his country? In his promotion? No, no, and no.

Did he have a memorable series of matches and feuds. Certainly, we've discussed Flair, Vader, and the NWO ad nauseum.

Was he a draw? Now therein we come to the first big negative. Sting was the face (with Flair) of the number two promotion and it can be demonstrated that every time he was handed the ball, nothing much happened. Now there's a lot of blame to go around as far as the incompetence of WCW management, but I'll point out that no one has ever been as out of touch with his audience and as inept as Verne Gagne and the Hulkster made himself a household name in spite of that. Sting did not. That said, he had an excellent body of work over time for being fairly limited in the ring. On the other hand, I re-watch lots of old wrestling and have never felt the urge to re-watch "The Best of Sting".

Was he useful after his prime? Certainly. Although being useful in TNA is akin to being a geek act on the midway.

I think at best the Stinger is a very marginal candidate at best. Is he as bad a choice as Angle or Ultimo Dragon? No, but if inducted, he'd be in the bottom 10%. It's fun to imagine how big he could have been under Vince's tutelage, but we don't put people in the Hall for what they might have done, otherwise Tony Conigliaro would be in the Baseball HOF and the Magic Dragon might be in the WON HOF.