DVDVR Message Board

Is Sting a Hall of Fame Wrestler?

Yeah - I didn't really mean Hogan as a cutoff point necessarily. I just wanted to use someone as an example where you could point to him and say "yes, he's a hall of famer, no doubt about it"

Sting is a guy that is arguable even if you are massive fan of his. I wouldn't point to him and say "he HAS to be in" See, in part.. one of my issues is that I feel he's more deserving than Tanahashi and Angle. I think it's unfair that Sting is on the outside while an ace from NJPW who is only now seeing success as a draw got in and Angle.. who I don't even know how you can call a draw when he was never an ace and after like 2003 was not a very good wrestler is also in.

• Like 1

I don't know.
When you're Yohe ish guys complain that Georgeous George was a TV presence but didn't draw as much as Thesz, it's interesting but still comes off foolish.
Meltzer explains Lance Russell as being in for huge TV ratings (again I'd argue he should be in for being the best but whatever).
Lou Albano is in for being the manager of pretty much all of Pedro Morales opponents and being all over TV (again I think it's dumb to have manager of Morales opponents and not Morales in the HOF but there are reasons that WON voters don't care for ethnic champions...and being all over TV when champion didn't make TV but tag championship was essntially a TV title feels as dumb as putting Babydoll on for being the TV champs Perfect 10).
I assume Gorrilla Monsoon is going to eventually go on for his TV presence and ability to put guys over even when but Hogan was the only thing that drew and the promotion wasn't actually built on making money off of live shows and not off of TV broadcasting.

So there is a precedent for this TV tuning in talk. It isn't a good precedent.
And no one has ever proposed that the HOF candidacy of the one guy whose business plan was to make money off of televising wrestling and was so hugely succesful at it that he was able to move from a guy who owned a shit station where he had to run a pledge drive to get the audience to donate money so he could get cameras that would broadcast in color (at a point where every other station was broadcast in color) to being a guy who could get the Olympics to come to a town in Georgia.

But the precedent is there.

• Like 1

I think what this thread has illuminated for me the most is how undeserving Kurt Angle is as far as being in the WON HOF  (or Tanahashi, for that matter). Angle has no argument in terms of drawing power and I cannot fathom the arguments people made for him to get in on work alone. Sadly, I think the people who say Sting shouldn't be there are probably right unless the argument is that since Angle has already set a baseline for getting into the HOF that is so low and that Sting surely surpasses, Sting should be in. 

Guys, I was watching Beach Blast 92 and there is a dude in the front row that has a sign that says 'Sting is the Best'. There's no way a sign that definitive would be made for someone who isn't hall of fame worthy, right? Like, I don't remember seeing any 'Gangrel is the Best' signs. As far as I'm concerned, case closed.

• Like 1

When Angle was voted in, the WON base largely viewed him as one of their workrate gods and someone with a claim to being one of the GOATs "in-ring."

It may seem like a low standard was set by his admittance, but in most of that audience's eyes, it was anything but. Sting doesn't have the same status with that crowd, regardless of how earned/unearned it is for either guy.

When Angle was voted in, the WON base largely viewed him as one of their workrate gods and someone with a claim to being one of the GOATs "in-ring."

Sting doesn't have the same status with that crowd, regardless of how earned/unearned it is for either guy.

The deal with angle is that he made the pros who voted feel like they were special.

It may seem like a low standard was set by his admittance, but in most of that audience's eyes, it was anything but. Sting doesn't have the same status with that crowd, regardless of how earned/unearned it is for either guy.

It had little to do with the audience and almost entirely to do with wrestlers, active and retired. He brought legitimacy to 'em, so they loved him.

Little to do with the WON voting audience? Huh?

His gold medal and amateur background giving some of them masturbatory warm fuzzies was partly it, but you're both severely underselling how a lot (obviously not all) of those with WON ties, that were part of the voting populace, felt about Angle's pro wres work back in 2004.

• Like 1

Those sort of discussions are the main reason why I don't think anyone should get in for work alone, or at least why I personally would never advocate and/or vote for anyone on those grounds.  Not only is it subjective, but the qualities people look for in good workers are drastically different, and the degree of consensus on who is an all time great has never been lower in "smart" circles.  To me work is something that can be a big part of your case, perhaps even the biggest part of your case, but it shouldn't be the only part of your case.