DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

I don't mind Mojo so much as I mind his cheering section. Reminds me of when TNA first debuted at the Impact Zone and there was a gaggle of goons who cheered exclusively for Jeff Hardy.

Possibly unpopular NXT opinion: I cannot stand Emma's gimmick. She's a great worker, I don't she needs to be a comedy act to get over, particularly when the comedy is cringeworthy.

Well keeping in mind that they taped a couple weeks worth of programs at one time, how much of that section goes to multiple shows and how many of them are going to be there every taping.  They are also his actual friends and family so you get why they'd only really be excited for him if they aren't fans of the show in general.  

I've been court ordered never to write anything about Emma (or Bayley) again.  Or compare wrestlers to comic book characters...

Hey, Mojo had his best career match this week. Finally did the right match structure for his gimmick.

Nothing else was particularly exciting. I'm starting to feel like there are too many WWE rejects on the show with Brodus, Khali, and Gabriel. I like it when someone like Sheamus shows up and gives the show a real rub once in a while, but those aforementioned losers make everything look worse when they go toe to toe with NXT's top names. Superstars and Main Event is where those guys should be, if they have to be on tv at all.

Other than that, um... Bayley's cool and Adam Rose isn't using a clothesline as a finisher anymore, so that's good.

ADAM ROSE comes out with the party train. Man, this entrance rules and dude can work. At the very least, he's Fandango. The former Tensai boasts about having gone to an Adam Rose party. Awesome. This is a quick squash of Danny Birch. He uses some sort of elbow drop from the top finisher. If he can figure out a really good, cool finisher for the character than this is going to be a lot of fun. I sorta wish he'd hang around NXT for a while just to get those basics down. But I'm really happy for Rose/Kruger/whatever his real name is. The guy has put in a lot of time and deserves a spot. Even if he doesn't go on to have a huge career, he'll at least have a FUN run of things. That's why NXT is important. Not everyone is going to come out of NXT as Bray Wyatt or Seth Rollins or Big E. Some people are just going to be "eh" guys to round out the roster. But I'd rather have a guy like Adam Rose over someone like Justin Gabriel or Tyson Kidd. Kidd's a top-quality guy in-ring but he has nothing other than that. That's fine. About 15 years ago I'd be storming the forts demanding a Tyson Kidd push. But it's not 2000 anymore and I don't care about that stuff as much.

Whatever this girl's name is interviews a referee about his "controversial" decision to award Corey Graves the match last week due to Sami Zayn's concussion. The ref explained it very well and clearly, emphasizing how important safety is. Corey Graves is interviewed next and, in 45 seconds, makes himself out as such an awesome jerk. First he sexually harasses the interview girl. And then he calls Barry Bonds the undisputed home run king. And he says this without any hint of winking irony or a joke. He comes off like a total dick. Good for him. He's figured out his personal code these past few weeks.

BAILEY comes out to her bouncy synth-pop. It sort of sounds a bit like The Rentals. This is a total compliment. I've listened to the first Rentals album, oh, a few million times and it is so awesome. It came out in '96, years before every idiot who had the money to buy a synth and record on a Mac machine put stuff out. I saw the Rentals on their reunion tour in 2006. It was a great show. I went with my wife one week before our wedding. After the show, I heard a familiar voice. It was my ex-girlfriend, a girl who spent about a year or so trying to (and doing a great job of) ruining my life. She was very excited to see me and talked to me for a bit. She was with some friend of hers I barely remember. "This is Gregg. You know. THE Gregg." The last time I ever communicated with this person was in e-mail about a half decade before that and it included various reiterations of "I hope you fucking die" and the like. Yet now I somehow have an article placed in front of my name, said with exclamation. This is not something you want to hear in front of your fiance one week before your wedding. I really don't miss being 21. At all. But go get the first Rentals album and the second, too. You'll learn which songs to skip -- there are like five or six really good ones and the rest is filler.

This is going to shock you, but Bailey's facing SASHA BANKS in the never ending feud. I love Bailey so much. And I love Sasha, too. But come on, let's get some new blood up, NXT. Sasha's got this punch thing she does that's like Ambrose's pillhead Thez Press deal. I really like it a lot. The end sequence to this match is REALLY rad. Just watch it. I can't really explain it. But it's so good and fun. I know Sasha's become sort of the jobber of the NXT divas but she's so friggin' good. I really hope we start seeing things like "We wish Aksana well in her future endeavors" and get the worthless crap out of the WWE divas division. A few of the people who were truly worthless -- the Bellas, Nattie -- have stepped up recently and I'll give them respect. I think there might be some money in an all-Divas wrestling show. NOT Total Divas, obvious. But a Main Event but for women. Get these girls branded, especially for young female fans (and they're out there) and go from there. A division of AJ/Paige/Emma/Summer/Bailey/Sasha/Charlotte/Nattie/Bellas is a really good start.

SYLVESTER LAFORT comes out for a match with no pomp nor circumstances. A sad turn of events from his previous status. Out comes everyone's favorite, MOJO RAWLEY with his crazy entrance. You know what I like that you should like? Kids love him. This lasts like 30 seconds with Mojo hitting his stuff and getting the win. Brodus comes out and powerbombs Lafort and splashes him. He grabs the mic and calls out Adrian Neville. He gets his wish. Neville has on a button down Fred Perry-type thing and grey slacks -- the ideal casual workplace attire if you have a cool boss. They exchange words and Clay walks off.

Devin's in the back with a returning OLIVER GREY. But before he can get a word, out comes CAMACHO all dudded up. "Adam Rose, life's not all about party rocking!" He talks about how he had to survive every day. Oliver interrupts him. This sets up a match for next week.

There's a Wrestlemania NXT Axess thing. You know what these are like by now.

Devin's out with THE GREAT KHALI. Oh no, please, no. OH WAIT -- Bailey comes out to give him a hug! "You're so tall! And slippery!" Now, CJ Parker comes out with his high school dipshit Phish fan knit cap to talk about the garbage Khali must produce. Khali says something incomprehensible to him. Bailey: "I got this! I've been taking Punjabi lessons!" Khali challenged CJ to a match. Awww, that became super adorable and lovely! So fun! NXT can also make me not hate something with Khali!

MORE TO COME BECAUSE THE NETWORK STOPPED WORKING FOR ME!

• Like 4

I've been thinking. I've heard them refer to the NXT Universe. If the NXT show is supposed to be the breeding ground, shouldn't their audience collective be smaller? Like, the NXT Galaxy?

• Like 2

Out comes BO DALLAS and this is MAGNIFICENT!

Bo talks about the YES! Movement and how he occupied Raw despite only being a B+ player. Bo talks about the BO! Movement and invites his Bo-Lievers to join him in the ring to Occupy NXT! The entire arena, instead, chants "NO" and turns their back on Bo! "I GAVE YOU COOKIES!" That is how he starts his emotional breakdown. Bo is the absolute king. He just rants and cries and whines. "I LOVED YOU! I WAS THERE FOR YOU! I GAVE YOU COOKIES!" He tries to convince himself a "NO MO BO CHANT!" is actually a "LET'S GO BO!" chant!

And out comes JBL! "You couldn't occupy a see-saw!" And JBL brings out... Justin Gabriel?

This is actually a really fun match pitting Justin Gabriel's acrobatics and Bo's slow-down, methodical sneaky style. Man, Gabriel has some REALLY fun offense here -- springboard crossbodies, etc. Bo only gets his offense in via his horseshit cheapshot stuff. But Gabriel has him scouted and has a counter for everything Bo is trying to do. At the end, Bo dodges a really great looking springboard moonsault and hits his double-arm DDT for the win.

This was a solid match. My only gripe: I wish Bo would have won by falling into the ropes to counter the moonsault. That's more of the Bo template -- a mysterious turnbuckle missing, a trip on the apron, etc. But this is still a sneaky win. Fun little match.

But I'd rather have a guy like Adam Rose over someone like Justin Gabriel or Tyson Kidd. Kidd's a top-quality guy in-ring but he has nothing other than that. That's fine. About 15 years ago I'd be storming the forts demanding a Tyson Kidd push. But it's not 2000 anymore and I don't care about that stuff as much.

This sums up precisely the difference between me as a wrestling fan at 31, and me as a wrestling fan 10 years ago. I had loads of opinions on who the WWE should push that would have bankrupted Vince in real life. Like making Smackdown a cruiserweights only show featuring Shark Boy and the Backseat Boys, or advocating a Chavo Jr world title run. I certainly wouldn't have a guy like Fandango in my WWE top 5, like I do now, and I'd be huffing with impotent rage at how goofy Adam Rose is. 21yr old me was a wrestling doofus. Though we do both still share a curious love of the Warlord.

I thought they were still doing the "better than Batista" chant for the powerbomb.

*relistens* I think there's a slight mix, but I will concede that you (and the crowd for that matter) are right.

They chose a different angle for the splash, but he's better sticking with the powerbomb and using the splash as the move he almost always misses a la DiBiase's reverse elbow and Bully Ray's senton.

I like the CJ Parker character, but I'm not sure there is a more obviously scripted guy in nXt right now. Everything he says sounds as though he has no idea why he's saying it.

Also he kind of looks like the smush faced lion from Wonderfalls.

I thought they were still doing the "better than Batista" chant for the powerbomb.

*relistens* I think there's a slight mix, but I will concede that you (and the crowd for that matter) are right.

They chose a different angle for the splash, but he's better sticking with the powerbomb and using the splash as the move he almost always misses a la DiBiase's reverse elbow and Bully Ray's senton.

I just realised; shouldn't Adam Rose be doing the DiBiase reverse elbow smash?

• Like 1

Corey Graves looks like Vanilla Ice in the face. The Barry Bonds line was gold. 

Actually, between that, I GAVE YOU COOKIES, "You don't have enough people in that ring to occupy a seesaw," and Charlotte's "You can't sit with us" t-shirt, I genuinely laughed quite a bit during this show.

Goodear made a great point about Mojo not having offense that fits with his gimmick. I really don't enjoy the guy either, but Goodear is right that he has some foundational stuff down. Maybe I just hate the gimmick too, which might cause me to be somewhat prejudiced.  

I think Charlotte, Summer Rae, and Sasha Banks bullying the most popular woman on RAW, if done correctly, would be a great storyline, something like some of the angles I've seen from Japan in the '90s where you would see eight-year-olds sobbing in the crowd as their hero got her hair cut. If they can get Emma away from Santino and get her more over as awkward and fun-loving, but a quality in-ring performer, that would really work. Of course, they won't be bringing Charlotte or Sasha up soon, but I think that trio is just awesome at working their mean girls gimmick. If they bullied a woman that really connected with little girls and young women, that would be some compelling television. I think all of these ladies are very good in their roles Charlotte and Sasha are solid in the ring, though Sasha Banks isn't as naturally douchey as Charlotte or Summer Rae is. 

I am curious to see how that Adam Rose gimmick translates to bigger, less intimate crowds on RAW. I can't put my finger on why I feel as though it is going to flop, but I do. That's not because the work or the gimmick is bad, but it just seems like a gimmick that works better in the NXT venue. I do think that if it gets over, the crowd being able to chant/sing Rose's theme music will be one big reason why. They were doing it in the crowd this week, and I thought that was just the thing a crowd might enjoy doing. 

I know people have valid criticisms of Brodus Clay's second-rope splash, but I thought he launched himself somewhat impressively far on the one he did this week. 

• Like 1

So far getting through this latest episode of NXT and it goes to show how seriously these guys take character as an important defining force in the promotion.  I just had to stop my Hulu to get this out.  I have 36 minutes left to go in the show and already...

1. Adam Rose and his whole group of party people have come out to light up my life.  He still hasn't gotten the in ring stuff locked down yet for the new character like he did for the Leo Krueger stuff but the character is locked in.  The gum, the prancing, the stage dive before the match.  That stuff is perfect.  I know we are all aching for a new finish, I'm going to push the senton bomb personally.  I think its a little more safe than the no look back elbow a lot of people are pushing and still does the job.
  2. Corey Graves, Asq. and asterisks are for losers promo.
  3. Charlotte's 'You can't sit with us" shirt which is the living embodiment of the BFF gimmick and perfect in every way.
  4. Bayley.  Oh Bayley.  So when Bayley gets in the ring, what does she do?  She doesn't just slap hands with fans, she greets the ring announcer and the referee.  That's the Bayley character to a T.  She still needs work in ring as far as translating the gimmick to action but the Belly-to-Bayley Hugplex is my favorite thing ever.

So on with the rest of the show!

Sasha Banks gets overlooked sometimes and its fair because she isn't super out there with her act and its a reflection of two other people.  By the same token, I like that her performance is a little more subtle and the rabid fire girl strikes stuff works.  She needs a high spot or two to make the middle of her matches a bit more engaging but is good at a mannerisms.

Oh Sylvester.  I feel for you.  Why do I feel for a oily Frenchman who takes his guys to Sizzler?  Anyway Mojo eats his lunch and that's fine.  Its a marked improvement on getting beat on for two minutes before the rally because it gets over Mojo as this hyper kinetic force.  The finish still sucks man.  Russian Sickle Mojo.  Russian Sickle.

I will agree that Clay's middle rope splash looked better from the long shot from the opposite corner than usual.  If I was him, I would spread my body out more width wise rather than stretch out length wise.  Spread your arms out to your side, take a wider leg base and splashes look better.  Vader brother.  Vader.  Neville thinking Clay should be taller was a great line and I really like him as a no nonsense straight man who don't sweat you son.

Camacho in a suit?  Whut?  This is a weird bit.  Either Camacho is calling out Adam Rose (midcarder) and won't be able to get past Oliver Grey or Grey is going to lose on his first match back after coming back from injury.  Now Ollie didn't really get a chance to do a lot before injury because he spent all his time in Team Get Red Arrow Over but I'm confused.  Can this transition to Olliver-Rose?  

Sylvester makes the NXT Access thing awesome by sleeping through Mojo's promo.  He must not able to work even a little beyond getting his ass kicked.  And well... Tyler Breeze and The Bo.

Bayley hugs Great Khali and she's the cutest stalker ever.  Oh god.  She's the cutest stalker ever.  CJ is a better character now but still can't put together a match without just getting beat down most of the time.  And since you have Tyler Breeze, that niche is kind of full.  He needs work.

Oh The Bo.  You complete me.  The little whimper after saying he was there for you?  Genius.  Best crowd turning their back on the ring ever because it was hating on someone as part of the fun not in a "I paid money to hate the show" way.  He is so much fun.  So much fun.  Hey a rematch from the Bo World Tour!  Bo beat him by the way.  This match is kind of off.  I do enjoy Alberts putting over The ElBos and the use of leverage but the match never really clicks.  I liked the fake finish off the missed moonsault in the small package into the Bo Bye!  (Better name than Girl Bye.  There I said it.)

I think I figured out why I don't like Mojo Rawley. He has the completely wrong gimmick. This dude was born to play a fake Russian. He already kinda looks like Nikolai Voloff's nephew!

James

• Like 1