DVDVR Message Board

Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling Podcast

Web Conn

“He's taking a sabbatical, let's just put it that way."

I think the 'let's just put it that way' just about puts Vince in the clear, as it speaks to other things going on that he would prefer not to talk about for whatever reason. It's a bit shady, but not quite a lie I would say.

There are CEOs of gigantic international banks who lie red-handed about fixing LIBOR and other rates. The SEC did nothing.

Vince McMahon hedging his words while dealing with a contractual dispute with talent on his roster isn't going to mean a thing.

Oh dear Christ, you're breaking out a Webster's definition as if it had force of law.

If you are in fact responsible for the corporate reporting of a publicly-traded corporation, would you please PM me the name of that corporation so I can divest myself immediately?

There are CEOs of gigantic international banks who lie red-handed about fixing LIBOR and other rates. The SEC did nothing.

Vince McMahon hedging his words while dealing with a contractual dispute with talent on his roster isn't going to mean a thing.

This right here.  How many times did Vince go through this over the years with talent?  Punk was the first to spout off and walk out when his contract was fulfilled?

I would have taken it as he needs time off for injuries and wants to negotiate a new deal.  

People need to stop taking things so literally.

Erm...what did you expect the US Securities and Exchange Commission to do about banks fixing the London Interbank Offered Rate? That's oversimplifying, a bit, but the SEC's got a hard job at the best of times. The LIBOR scandal had jurisdictional issues on top of who it would have been the SEC would be going after.

Now, there's a wider (true) point about corporate cronyism, but if you think Vince freaking McMahon gets a pass like Bank of America or Citi, you're dreaming.

One big takeaway here not directly related to Punk was that he confirmed that Orton/Batista was Plan A for the Mania Main event.

He also implied that Batista himself wasn't entirely sanguine about coming in as a babyface.

This may have been said already, but I am two pages behind. Batista on Jericho's podcast admitted he hated coming in as a babyface given that people more naturally boo him.

Erm...what did you expect the US Securities and Exchange Commission to do about banks fixing the London Interbank Offered Rate? That's oversimplifying, a bit, but the SEC's got a hard job at the best of times. The LIBOR scandal had jurisdictional issues on top of who it would have been the SEC would be going after.

Now, there's a wider (true) point about corporate cronyism, but if you think Vince freaking McMahon gets a pass like Bank of America or Citi, you're dreaming.

If you feel so strongly about this I suggest you file the necessary paperwork with the SEC.

Also, Punk saying he would beat the shit out of keyboard warriors for saying something to his face but then claims Ryback legitimately hurt him ON PURPOSE and did nothing about it. Reason #4567 why Punk is unlikable. Wannabe tough guy.

Ask Del Rio how it works out when you decide to be a shoot tough guy when you suspect someone of being unprofessional in the workplace.

• Like 1

If you feel so strongly about this I suggest you file the necessary paperwork with the SEC.

Like I'd put a dime in WWE stock...

But you are willing to belabor the point.  Ok.

But you are willing to belabor the point.  Ok.

Do you own WWE stock? Because you're in this argument too, buddy.

I am merely pointing out different options on how this was viewed from the WWE's perspective.  You seemed to be so focused on the WWE lying in a conference call where I have told you that this was a fluid situation with different points of view from the WWE's side since they had no contact with Punk.

The only time I ever wished I had WWE stock was when it was artificially inflated because of the anticipated Network/TV rights revenue. People who sold before that bubble burst were incredibly lucky. 

As much as I'd like to see the federal government investigate WWE in some capacity, the SEC might not have enough resources to adequately investigate WWE. It's a low-price stock and a relatively unimportant company.  

• Like 1

Ask Del Rio how it works out when you decide to be a shoot tough guy when you suspect someone of being unprofessional in the workplace.

Two different things. Del Rio slapped up the guy who runs their Twitter. He's not a performer. Wrestlers get into backstage altercations all the time.

Exactly, which is why people need to realize that this was one of hundreds of incidents that have happened backstage over the years.  

The people working the shows are sore, injured, and tired from all of the dates.  Tensions bubble up when they feel like they are being shifted down the card.  

What happened with Punk has happened before and will happen again.  If there is one positive to come out of this hopefully more attention gets focused on the concussion and medical side with regard to the workers.

Two different things. Del Rio slapped up the guy who runs their Twitter. He's not a performer. Wrestlers get into backstage altercations all the time.

Exactly, which is why people need to realize that this was one of hundreds of incidents that have happened backstage over the years.  

The people working the shows are sore, injured, and tired from all of the dates.  Tensions bubble up when they feel like they are being shifted down the card.  

How much money does WWE make from house shows? I assume a decent amount but there's a decent argument to be made for just becoming a TV product. The only issue I'd see is that some talent might not get a lot of ring time and wouldn't be able to try new things. 

What if WWE just taped RAW/SmackDown and sent talent home afterward? Maybe attach an extra hour to each taping so talent can get some ring time. 

I am merely pointing out different options on how this was viewed from the WWE's perspective.

The perspective of carnies. You do a good job representing what their thought process likely is, even if you're monstrously bad at grasping why that could still be problematic for them.

You seemed to be so focused on the WWE lying in a conference call where I have told you that this was a fluid situation with different points of view from the WWE's side since they had no contact with Punk.

Because Vince didn't say "It's a fluid situation, and we're not entirely sure what is going on as we've had no contact with CM Punk since we suspended him." Hell, he didn't say any of the things that COULD have flown, such as, "At Punk's request, we've temporarily taken him off of the active performer roster to allow him to recuperate, but he remains under contract, and we look forward to his return." He said, "He's on sabbatical." Which was false, (it's why competent executives bury statements in legalese and weasel-wording, so they can't be caught making outright false statements,) and it was a falsehood that could be (very easily) framed as an attempt to mislead shareholders into thinking a high-profile talent would be returning when they had no indication that that was the case.

How much money does WWE make from house shows? I assume a decent amount but there's a decent argument to be made for just becoming a TV product. The only issue I'd see is that some talent might not get a lot of ring time and wouldn't be able to try new things. 

What if WWE just taped RAW/SmackDown and sent talent home afterward? Maybe attach an extra hour to each taping so talent can get some ring time. 

You have to remember that the house shows work as advertising for the TV products and sell merchandise.

When RAW and Smackdown had separate brands it made sense but then they pulled back when it became unprofitable.  I am sure they are profitable but without national and international tours you become TNA.  The house shows are a reminder to watch RAW and Smackdown.  

Someone posted about the difference between Cena and non-Cena shows being about $50k in terms of gate revenue; that number does not include merchandise revenue.

I believe everything Punk says about the pressure and the shitty medical care, but I'm really hoping WWE goes on the offensive. 

I mean, I like Punk...but the company is such a pussy now. I want them to Self-Destruction of Utlimate Warrior him. I want them to pop a rating with an exclusive sit-down with Vince and Hunter where they just bury the fuck out of him. 

I mean, what happened in Montreal in '97 was such a fucked-up thing from every level and the company embraced it and turned Vince into the biggest heel on Earth. 

WWE can rewrite history. They can easily turn Punk from a trail-blazing prophet to a whiny, neurotic fake fighter who didn't get enough wins against guy who were bigger stars than him. Them being silent and just letting the smark fans bitch and moan is played out. They should go out on Monday and just be the biggest fucking dicks about him.  For better or worse, this is the biggest story out there. They should run an angle where the ringside physician is actually a shitbag heel trying to kill the babyfaces. 

That's what pro wrestling is.  They should sleaze the shit out of this and try to make some money. 

While part of me wouldn't be surprised that this would happen, you have to keep in mind that Punk had a staph infection (which can cause death). It would be a different story if Punk actually did die and I think the WWE (and their ringside doctor) would be facing some serious charges (if Punk is to be believed about the infection in the first place).

Sooner or later though, the WWE will use this to put over HHH, Vince & Steph to try to goad Punk into coming back.

I'd be surprised to discover many shareholders care one way or the other about individual performers.  I;d be surprised if most shareholders have any idea who is on the roster.  The average shareholder isn't a fan.  As large and diversified as the company is, the absence or presence of any wrestler on the roster isn't likely to affect the financial performance of the company.  I suppose if Cena suffered an injury that would keep him off tv for a year and lead to the ratings plummeting into the 1.xx range, stockholders might be concerned, but short of that.....  Frankly, the company is too diversified to be that dependent on the tv ratings/revenue, so I expect most shareholders only want to hear about the ratings when the tv contracts come up for renewal.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if most shareholders know too much about the operation or day to day performance of the company.  If I own stock in Microsoft, should I expect Microsoft to announce the departure of middle managers or the third most important guy in research.  Those are personnel matters.

Vince probably did mislead shareholders, but it's not a material omission.  The guy wasn't performing for the company at that point.  That's really all the shareholders need to know.

As much as I'd like to see the federal government investigate WWE in some capacity, the SEC might not have enough resources to adequately investigate WWE. It's a low-price stock and a relatively unimportant company.

Some would-be raider who sees WWE as a valuable brand run by incompetent management with connections in Washington could put a word in someone's ear. The thing about it is, it wouldn't take that much resources. Subpoena the call and a copy of Punk's suspension and you're well on your way.

Almost totally off topic, if fans don't own the majority of WWE stock (and I'm willing to believe that's true), who are the supposed serious business people that do? Surely anyone outside "the bubble" can see what a horrible investment it is?