DVDVR Message Board

Phillip Seymour Hoffman dead...

Just Dave

Normally I wouldn't correct something like that, but it is so astounding (and confounding) to me that the dude had 20. USED. SYRINGES and 50. BAGS. OF. HEROIN. on him...At a certain point, I start to wonder if he wasn't trying to actually kill himself.

Seemingly lost in this is that the dude had 3 young kids. I understand addiction but I still can't help but feel what a selfish asshole.

Not to mention our collective loss of never seeing the Jingus screenplay come to life. I can only imagine Jingus, PSH, and Paul Thomas Anderson winning the top prize at Cannes. Jet setting to Sundance, sweeping all the awards. What could have been.

• Like 7

Normally I wouldn't correct something like that, but it is so astounding (and confounding) to me that the dude had 20. USED. SYRINGES and 50. BAGS. OF. HEROIN. on him...At a certain point, I start to wonder if he wasn't trying to actually kill himself.

Yeah, I was thinking it sounded like he committed suicide too.

www.people.com/people/article/0,,20782575,00.html?xid=outbrain_sandbox_5TimesPhilipSeymourHoffmanWasBetterThanMovie

"When PEOPLE asked Twitter and Facebook users what their favorite Philip Seymour Hoffman movie was, the result was pretty unequivocal: Twister."

A friend of a friend apparently accidentally came across the funeral procession in Central Park yesterday on a run. It was of course privately blocked off.

Seemingly lost in this is that the dude had 3 young kids. I understand addiction but I still can't help but feel what a selfish asshole.

Not to mention our collective loss of never seeing the Jingus screenplay come to life. I can only imagine Jingus, PSH, and Paul Thomas Anderson winning the top prize at Cannes. Jet setting to Sundance, sweeping all the awards. What could have been.

Chris TItus' Podcast was on that theme this week, though he was a little harder on addicts, saying its not a disease. That's bullshit, but addicts are very selfish by nature. . . 

I love my son and don't want to sound all Bill Hicksish. But the cult of the child thing in America is ridiculous. There is no pure light that comes from a child that will save an addict.

Interesting.  I look at that revelation and take the opposite interpretation.  Nobody who is actively trying to kill himself needs 50 bags of heroin to do it.