DVDVR Message Board

NHL/Sochi - February 2014

Dolfan in NYC

"So, Eddie, is the larger Olympic ice gonna help generate offense?" "No, not really. Defensemen will just defend between the dots and let guys skate down the sides where they aren't dangerous."

*Swedish forward flies down the side of the ice and blasts a shot past the Czech goaltender*

The expert analysis of Eddie Olczyk, ladies and gentlemen.

On the radio the other day, he kept talking about the dots and D positioning.

I know it's been said multiple times on this board by myself alone, but damn the NBC hockey announce crew is the worst. The only way this commentary could be more insufferable is if Olczyk was there to complete the triangle of suck.

"20 of 25 players on Team U.S.A. were collegiates." O...K... any particular reason that matters?

I suggest everybody switch over to Slovenia-Russia. The Slovenians in their swank Arena Football style hockey jerseys are giving the Mighty Russians all they can handle. You couldn't pull a needle out of a Russian sphincter using a tractor right about now.

I hate how they always start with roll over games, it's so hard to get a read on what the team is like. I don't think it's good for the team, either. It'd be nice if they could have started the tournament against one of the other Big 6.

Score was only 3-1, but Canada completely dominated play, especially in the 2nd. I don't know, yay I guess?

Not really concerned. First period was a glorified park skate. Second period I think Norway got to the Canadian blue line possibly literally 4 times. Their goalie was kind of like a smaller Jonas Hiller. Not a lot of movement, just got into a solid butterfly form and kept the score respectable, had a good game.

Random note, but I'm kinda confused by a lot of what the national media is saying about Team USA. Many are saying that the Americans are showing "they could be a more dangerous team then we expected" My response to that would be what the hell were you expecting? I mean, their top 6 might not match Russia for instance, but it's pretty close, and they are clearly better in depth, defense, and goal on paper. Sweden has a better defense, but no real edge in goal, and they are dealing with tons of forward injury problems and depth issues. And sure we aren't as good on paper as Canada, but they are CANADA.

Random note, but I'm kinda confused by a lot of what the national media is saying about Team USA. Many are saying that the Americans are showing "they could be a more dangerous team then we expected" My response to that would be what the hell were you expecting? I mean, their top 6 might not match Russia for instance, but it's pretty close, and they are clearly better in depth, defense, and goal on paper. Sweden has a better defense, but no real edge in goal, and they are dealing with tons of forward injury problems and depth issues. And sure we aren't as good on paper as Canada, but they are CANADA.

I think it just means "USA looked better than Canada today".