DVDVR Message Board

NHL/Sochi - February 2014

Dolfan in NYC

Yeah, that shootout rule stinks. I want to see everybody taking shots, not the same guy six fucking times in eight shots. How the hell do you have a shootout and Ovie doesn't even get on the ice?

We are now even for 1972 basketball.

• Like 1

Yeah, that shootout rule stinks. I want to see everybody taking shots, not the same guy six fucking times in eight shots. How the hell do you have a shootout and Ovie doesn't even get on the ice?

Er...Ovie sort of sucks in shootouts...or at least he does for the Caps...

It was damn late and had to tap out after the 2nd period, but that Slovakia/Slovenia game was fantastic. Good on Slovenia for the win, they were far and way the better team through 40. The Kings are probably glad that Slovenia will likely be done soon, otherwise all they get get back of Anze Kopitar is a dried out corpse. He played *9* minutes in the 1st period alone and probably not much less in the later periods.

I feel like if the Oakland Seals had survived as a franchise, they'd be wearing uniforms not unlike Slovenia's neon green and blue numbers.

Czechs and Slovaks have regressed so far as hockey nations that it isn't even funny. It's been coming for a while but this has been just ugly. They really need to look at swallowing their ego and bringing in some outsiders on the administration/coaching side because what they've been displaying the last few years is starting to border on a joke compared to what it should be.

Czechs and Slovaks have regressed so far as hockey nations that it isn't even funny. It's been coming for a while but this has been just ugly. They really need to look at swallowing their ego and bringing in some outsiders on the administration/coaching side because what they've been displaying the last few years is starting to border on a joke compared to what it should be.

You know its bad when the CBC commentators are calling for the Czechs to fire their coach midway through the tournament.

I'm not sure that niche sport is fair, the Extraliga is one of the largest European leagues. I don't know where it falls as far as sports in the Republic, but there is a lot of popular support. How much money they have, I have no idea, but Switzerland has shown what having a solid system can do for a team.The Czechs seemed completely lost trying to crack through a pretty basic (but very well played) defensive system. They've obviously fallen behind the other Big 6 as far as overall talent, but their showing in this Olympics was pretty poor. They threw the Sweden match, had more trouble with Latvia than they probably should have and completely choked the Swiss match.

How much money do the likes of the Czechs even have though? It's a niche sport in a small country. Can't just hire a bunch of Canadians.

Thing is they don't need Brent Sutter. They just need "a guy that can competently handle line combinations, and changes". Really basic shit. Czechs and Slovaks have been doing weird shit from selection onwards that would raise eyebrows on a team of 13 year olds.

Rob Daum is on the staff of the Austrian team for example, he was an absolute fixture as the coach of the University of Alberta Golden Bears for years. Worked with the Oilers briefly. There are plenty of club coaches in places like Germany and Switzerland if you want to really low ball it.

Hell, it doesn't even have to be Canadians. Finland have 5 million people and as beat up as their team is right now, they've never threatened to be a joke. And their general approach makes a lot of sense for the resources they have. The Swedish elite league is fine for what it is too. That's not even touching the KHL, which is probably financially no better than going to Canada. I get the Czech Republic and Slovakia, on the global economic totem pole, are below Finland and Sweden, but the basic disorganization (especially with the Czechs, the Slovaks have a couple big injuries) is hard to explain away if you have even functional people at the job.