DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: ANDRE THE GIANT

RIPPA

1) the BleacherReport (yaiknow) article had this interesting tidbit

Left on his own, Andre felt an affinity with society’s castaways, particularly prostitutes, who offered him life advice and friendship.  Brito remembers standing with Andre outside Montreal’s Ritz-Carlton as the wrestling star summoned over an overweight street walker: “He gave her $700.  He told me when he was on his own, these girls looked after him.”

During a visit to Paris, Vachon recalls hanging out with Andre in the Pigalle, the city’s red-light district.  “The business girls liked having him around.  He wasn’t a pimp, but they felt safe when he was there.”

(...)

Relaxing in the Jacuzzi or in front of the rock fireplace, Andre enjoyed the type of normalcy that evaded him in the rest of world.  He was so comfortable on the [North Carolina] ranch that he occasionally socialized with his neighbors, turning up at Lions Club events.  Once, after venturing to the hardware store to purchase an extra-large chainsaw, he left the clerk a $100 tip.

2) Andre/Baba v. Land of the Giants was truly terrible. It's on YouTube, but it really sucks.

3) Here's Andre the Giant and David Letterman

Andre & Baba vs. Land of the Giants is glorious in its awfulness.  Nitron is especially entertaining, with his unique combination of dainty offense and comical selling.  Seriously, I believe he was worse than Giant Gonzalez.  (In that match, anyway.)

It wasn't until Youtube came about that I discovered Andre in Japan.  I had absolutely no idea he was a villain there, let alone how villainous.  What a mind-blowing experience seeing an angry, surly, downright hateful Andre the Giant tear apart everyone and everything in his sight.  If your attitude and style in the ring can make, of all people, Adrian Adonis a plucky, sympathetic babyface, you're the best.  Andre will always be the best.

You haven't lived until you've heard Andre do a world class EVIL LAUGH in Japan. Like Ted Dibiase in his prime.

Andre & Baba vs. Land of the Giants is glorious in its awfulness.  Nitron is especially entertaining, with his unique combination of dainty offense and comical selling.  Seriously, I believe he was worse than Giant Gonzalez.  (In that match, anyway.)

Having never seen that before... yeah, when old man Baba has to have his working shoes on...

Nitron's stooging in this is pretty funny, I don't recall him being that light in the matches I saw in WCW, but figure you're not going to go out there with two old big guys and stiff them, especially when one is the boss of the company and the other would probably beat your ass even if he's clearly in pain just coming in and out of the ring.

It would appear that there's probably a bunch of other Andre/Baba RWTL matches that would be better than them v. Land of the Giants. But they clipped some of them.

The World can see Dr. Death bumping around for Andre and Baba like they're shooting him though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FecBLhkLRk

They clipped this match from 1991, which I can't imagine actually being good, but it's probably better than the LotG match, plus I cracked up laughing at the DDT

There's also a clipped ending for Andre/Baba v. Dynamite/Johnny Smith, a match with 1991 Andre and 1991 Dynamite had to have been like 10 minutes of Baba working Johnny Smith, doesn't it?

This is Andre's last main event.  Some "highlights" to watch for: Andre kicking Hansen about thigh level, and Stan selling it like he was shot in the face; an Andre headbutt on Funk that visibly doesn't come within a foot of Funk's head; and finally, an Andre elbow drop that seemingly causes the TV announcer to laugh.

http://youtu.be/GRGsYtRzo0w

yeah, i'd say the Elbow Drop wasn't a good choice for his finish in the 1990s matches.. but then i'd have to really think if there was a finishing move that wouldn't look horrendously awkward being done by Andre the Giant in 1991. Maybe he wouldn't look bad doing a splash as a finish?

It's really a shame WWE has never released a 3 or 4 disc set for Andre. I know there was that 1 DVD from a few years ago (which was just a re-release of an old VHS) but I really wanna see him get the mega-set treatment. There's SO MUCH they could use.

yeah, i'd say the Elbow Drop wasn't a good choice for his finish in the 1990s matches.. but then i'd have to really think if there was a finishing move that wouldn't look horrendously awkward being done by Andre the Giant in 1991. Maybe he wouldn't look bad doing a splash as a finish?

Andre could've just used a bearhug, the big boot, or the head vice that Crush used as a finisher.  I would've bought that as a killing move from Andre.

It was hard to watch him work matches when he got old and immoble.  I remember when he used to finish guys with a gigantic dropkick.

The thing that really amazes me about that particular subject is just how good Andre still was late in his life.  I can't find it on Youtube now, but he and Jim Duggan had one shockingly good match at some obscure tour show in Italy.  Andre could barely walk, yeah, but I'd argue he was even smarter than Baba at working around his own liabilities.  

It's really a shame WWE has never released a 3 or 4 disc set for Andre. I know there was that 1 DVD from a few years ago (which was just a re-release of an old VHS) but I really wanna see him get the mega-set treatment. There's SO MUCH they could use.

I've wondered this myself.  Especially since Vince is so well known for being such a lifelong mark for Andre, you'd think he'd make sure that the big guy got like a six-disc Bluray or something.  

Let us all not forget the Giant Machine work

And I can't begin to tell you how excited I got when I saw the words "Machines Ambush Inoki" all in the same Title

http://youtu.be/Xj-i73wDwtI

Is this where they got the idea for Giant Machine in WWF? I assume that's Junji Hirata he's with?

• 5 months later...

I could write a few thousand words about this seven minute match, easily. It's beautiful. It's so simple and so rushed because it was pouring and they just wanted to get the hell out of there, but it's so primal and perfect. First off, I'm SURE there had to be some Sullivan and Andre in Florida, but I've never seen or read about it, so to see Lewin and Sullivan up against Andre in any way is totally awesome. Then there's Bundy as the third member of the group and Bundy is awesome in that role, just in general. You could just see him emerging out of the depths or through the mists or whatever, with Fallen Angel or Luna hanging over him as he talked into his hand and bellowed with dead eyes. 

The match is structured exactly as it should be. Collins gets destroyed from the get go, with a bit of Andre interference letting him get a hope spot and then the hot tag to Mosca. Mosca can handle Sullivan and Lewin (and Sullivan's selling is hilariously great), and even Bundy a bit, but he goes for the slam, fails, and Bundy takes over. This only lasts a minute or so because Mosca wasn't about to look bad in a seven minute match. Bundy's selling for him was nuts by the way. Anyway, he manages to tag in Andre and Andre beats everyone up, including the necessary triple squish in the corner spot. They set up for a finish with Andre about to toss Collins on people, but Sullivan tosses the powder for the DQ. They try to beat up Andre afterwards but he fights them off and that's your match. Obviously some of it could have breathed more but it was frigging pouring and it was great  not despite its simplicity but because of it.

• 1 year later...

Figured I bump this since this was discussed on I think we watch wrestling podcast:

EDIT: it was the pwo spotlight on andre

I'm guessing this was when Andre was just starting out in France.

Also Judo movie villain Andre the Giant. If this is Andre bumping at this, actually trained in martial arts and maintaining his agility Andre might be the most frighting prospect ever:

• Like 2