DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

Yeah, exactly. That's smart.

Also, I refuse to accept "Antigone" is that strange a name when everyone now is calling their kids McKinnleigh or Neveah or whatever the hell.  

My cousin's daughter's name has multiple apostrophes in it.

My wife fell asleep during the last few minute of episode 2 and asked me what happened. Getting to say, "Colin Farrell got shot by a guy in a bird costume," made me super happy. I'm all in with this season. It may not be leading to something like that exquisite walk through Carcosa that Rust took, but this has been silly fun so far.

• Like 2

She may be giving the best performances, but I'm still enjoying the Vince Vaughn stuff more than anything else. I thought it was funny when he slapped the one dude. Seems like something I've seen him do a lot in movies, but here it was even more ridiculous. He also feels like he's bouncing from one past character to another. When he's talking about his business, he could be talking about Speaker City for all I know. The performance anxiety stuff was really lame, though. Like, we get it, his life sucks, but every episode is starting out with how fucking sad and lame Frank's life is. That was balanced out by beating the shit out of the one guy.

Another lame thing is the WAY obvious gay backstory for Riggins and the fucked up daddy stuff for Bolo Ray. I don't want to keep harping on the writing, but adding flaw after flaw after flaw for these characters doesn't make them deeper or more interesting.

I'm also sad we didn't see McAdams lying on her back, screaming, as she dumps her clip into the sky when she wasn't able to get the guy in the mask.

You know what?

Last year we had Marty who, despite his many character flaws, was basically a good cop and detective, and Rust, who was a goddamn supercop and works class detective and box man.

Hell, last year, they arguably went overboard with how good Rust was.

But have we gotten any indication at all that any of these people are actually good at this job this season?

• Like 1

I want an ancillary character to solve the case while everyone else is gnashing their teeth about their pasts, and then they break the fourth wall and scream, "I guess I'm the True Detective!"

• Like 3

But, guys, have you ever really, like, listened to "The Rose?"  Like, reeeeally listened?

Yeah, Family Guy kind of did a big joke abou...

NO, NO No, Fuck them.  I mean like seriously really fucking listen to The Fuckin' Rose, man?  Just do yourself the favor.

Also, have you ever really, like, listened to Conway Twitty?  Like, reeeally listened?

Yeah, Family Guy kind of did a whole thing abou...

No, NO FUCK THEM! I mean like seriously really fucking listened to Conway Fuckon' Twitty, man?  Just...

Do myself the favor?

Do yourself the favor.

This shit is getting so OTT that there's no way I will stop watching. Fucking Vince Vaughn getting into a fistfight at a gathering of local gangbangers and then

PULLING OUT THE GUY'S GRILL WITH A PAIR OF PLYERS?!?!

C'mon, man. 

Those scenes at the hospital and the dad's house hit a little close to home though. Believe me, there are people like Bolo Ray and his dad out there.

• Like 1

McAdams continues to be great. It's weird watching Vince Vaughn fight, but that scene was still kinda cool.

The Cary Fukunaga cheap shot was bad form though. Especially when it's increasingly obvious that he outclasses Lin and probably everyone else they have lined up for this.

Wish they could have worked it out, because NP needs an equally strong voice to reel him in.

• Like 1

Oh man, I completely forgot about the shot Nic took at Fukunaga. What a dirtbag. I can imagine the direction in that scene was something like, "Nic says to just say it as flatly as possible, 'I don't remember because I like to drink'" or whatever the fuck that line was. Suuuuuuper shitty. 

While y'all carry on I am liking what most of you aren't discussing. The plot.  I won't bother writing it out but Vanity Fair has a nice take on it.  I think they're definitely on the right track with this.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/07/true-detective-season-2-bohemian-grove-secret-society-Guerneville

Also, I don't agree with Ryan almost ever..  but he's all in..

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/true-detective-season-2-episode-3-maybe-tomorrow/

Actually, most reviews are solid to good to great.  I'm surprised so few people here are not enjoying it.

Vince has been good but I'd rank him behind Farrell and McAdams. Vince is still not as believable as I'd like.  Taylor is underrated in this. He hasn't been given a lot. He has by far the worst backstory but his performance has been solid with what he has to work with.

• Like 1

I haven't line Farrell much at all, and while I think she's been good, I've been less impressed with McAdams than most of you. Vaughn is underacting while bringing out weird new sides of Frank here and there and I'm not sure it's great acting but it's damn compelling.

I agree that Kitsch is being slept on a bit. His material is probably the weakest at this point, but he is doing alright. His critics are harsh, but it's Tim Riggins fuck them.

Supposedly him and McAdams are dating now. Life's not fair.

I'm enjoying this but I'm not thrilled, I'll give it a 7/10 so far. I love Farrel to death but that bolo tie, that fucking bolo tie. 

Rachel McAdams doe, dat booty it's as good as it is distracting. I was immersed during the chase sequence until that wide shot when Bolo Tie was on the ground and she was standing up. My focus was broken. I'm weak. She's hot fiya.

Also, guys don't fight, it's okay to like different things. I hated Man of Steel and Niners loved it, but I never gave him shit about it.
  • Like 1