DVDVR Message Board

2014 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/TERRIBLE PROJECTS...

RIPPA

I wrote a paper on Vlad Tepes for World History class in college.  I got an A.  I shoulda got an A+.

The only remedy for such an injustice is to renounce your faith and vow to rise from the grave.  Now take your sword and stab it into the paper.  If it starts bleeding, you're on the right path.

If not, go back and repeat steps one and two.  Try unplugging your router and plugging it back in first.

• Like 1

Either of you two jabrones going to actually explain why one actor is better than the other by long long ways?

well, my explanation goes like this: I am unimpressed with Hathaway's work (admittedly, I have not seen Les Mis).  On the other hand, I am impressed with a lot of Mconahayhayhay's work.  Thus, Matt > Anne

I just have an irrational dislike for Anne Hathaway. Maybe because she was in The Princess Diaries movie(s) or I thought she came off kinda bitchy during that breakup with some guy years ago (right around the time her and Franco hosted the Oscars IIRC). Since I hate musicals, I just know her from Dark Knight Rises and Brokeback Mountain.

She was, imo, pretty easily the best part of TDKR.  She didn't have enough screen time to fully realize it, but I would, as I've said before, listen to an argument that it was the best performance in the entire Dark Knight trilogy, Ledger included.  I wouldn't necessarily make said argument myself, mind you.

I wrote a paper on Vlad Tepes for World History class in college.  I got an A.  I shoulda got an A+.

Perhaps it was the grammar that held you back ;)

So you have jokes now, eh? :)

I wrote a paper on Vlad Tepes for World History class in college. I got an A. I shoulda got an A+.

Perhaps it was the grammar that held you back ;)

So you have jokes now, eh? :)

I've got the full repertoire.

Either of you two jabrones going to actually explain why one actor is better than the other by long long ways?

well, my explanation goes like this: I am unimpressed with Hathaway's work (admittedly, I have not seen Les Mis). On the other hand, I am impressed with a lot of Mconahayhayhay's work. Thus, Matt > Anne

I just have an irrational dislike for Anne Hathaway. Maybe because she was in The Princess Diaries movie(s) or I thought she came off kinda bitchy during that breakup with some guy years ago (right around the time her and Franco hosted the Oscars IIRC). Since I hate musicals, I just know her from Dark Knight Rises and Brokeback Mountain.

She was, imo, pretty easily the best part of TDKR. She didn't have enough screen time to fully realize it, but I would, as I've said before, listen to an argument that it was the best performance in the entire Dark Knight trilogy, Ledger included. I wouldn't necessarily make said argument myself, mind you.

I thought she was miscast and terrible in that movie.
  • Like 1

I didn't realize that Steven Spielberg was originally supposed to direct American Sniper

I feel like it is for the best that Eastwood ended up doing it

I'm also curious if it is just based on the memoir or if it will

include Chris Kyle's death

* - Yes I feel stupid for spoilerizering real life events but ya never know how sensitive people are

You have to include Kyle's death in some manner. It's part of what makes his story so tragic: You survive years and years in war torn Iraq then come home to a supposedly peaceful country and end up getting shot to death by a deranged PTSD-riddled former solider you were trying to help.

Granted, giving an obviously mentally ill guy a gun and taking him to a shooting range wasn't exactly smart, but still, pretty sad story all around.

The Iraq war did kill Kyle, just not in the usual way. I assume that's what you would end a film on.

Does it include the supposed Jesse Ventura fight?

I can't imagine it would since Jesse won a defamation suit over it and, well, it didn't happen.

I'm curious to see if they'll include other Kyle stories like shooting two would-be carjackers at a gas station and killing dozens of people during Hurricane Katrina from the top of the Superdome.

At first I did think it was shitty for Jesse to not drop the lawsuit after he died and continue suing his widow but by the looks of it he was blatantly slandered, so...

I don't wanna get this too far off track but...

Ventura didn't "continue suing the widow".  He was suing Kyle's estate.  She was the executor but not a defendant in the suit.  Kyle himself had an opportunity to assist in his defense and a videotaped deposition was presented during the trial.  And, finally, insurance and the publisher picked up all the costs.  Even losing cost Kyle's family basically nothing.

I did used to be annoyed by Hathaway but I gained new sympathy for her after she almost drowned while on vacation and the nearby paparazzi's reaction was to, eh, not lift a finger to help and take photos of her as she was yelling and trying to alert someone of her situation.

That really should have been a bigger story than it was. Just a heinous incident.

I find that many people dislike Hathaway for the same reasons they disliked Julia Roberts and will grow to dislike Jennifer Lawrence:  they can't separate the actor from the celebrity persona/actual personality.

I think the dislike for Jennifer Lawrence already started way before the stolen pictures. Once the cute little nicknames like J-Law, ScarJo, etc. start popping up in articles by giant media outlets, you've already arrived at that point.

I did used to be annoyed by Hathaway but I gained new sympathy for her after she almost drowned while on vacation and the nearby paparazzi's reaction was to, eh, not lift a finger to help and take photos of her as she was yelling and trying to alert someone of her situation.

That really should have been a bigger story than it was. Just a heinous incident.

She didn't almost drown.  She was never in any danger and was some 500 yards off shore - not exactly in a place where she could be easily helped, if it had actually been needed.

I find that many people dislike Hathaway for the same reasons they disliked Julia Roberts and will grow to dislike Jennifer Lawrence:  they can't separate the actor from the celebrity persona/actual personality.

I think the dislike for Jennifer Lawrence already started way before the stolen pictures. Once the cute little nicknames like J-Law, ScarJo, etc. start popping up in articles by giant media outlets, you've already arrived at that point.

Why would anyone dislike Jennifer Lawrence over the stolen pictures?

Because taking nude pictures as a very famous celebrity is kinda stupid at this point? I mean Meagan Good was flashing someone while a child was having a birthday party behind her. I don't know if Lawrence did anything that egregious, but my point is that it's still not very smart thing to do. I personally don't dislike her for it though.

Ah, I see. I don't care if they take nude pictures of themselves and I do think it's fucked up their pictures are stolen and distributed but the one thing that is annoying about the celebrities in that whole thing is how they expect the F.B.I. to take care of it... like, if it happened to my neighbor and she contacted the F.B.I. would anyone care? They'd probably tell her "tough luck, miss"