DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Brandon Jacobs retired

Another RB done at 31 due to injuries

But Hey - a 18 game schedule will be great!

Find the clip of Howie Long shredding the NFL on one of the pregame shows about that exact topic.

As I recall, that's the one where he argued for returning to the 14 game schedule?

I loved that one.

I can only find via Metacafe

However - I did find the dipshit on Bleacher Report who in response to Long's rant said that NFL players are pussies if the were about injuries and the NFL should add 10 more games.

Of course it was Bleacher Report and I have no one to blame but myself

Sounds a lot like Jay Cutler to me, if you put it that way.

Nah. The Rams released Warner outright because they didn’t want to keep paying a used up guy for past accomplishments and were ready to move on. Warner: busted hand, 0-7 record in his last seven starts as a Ram and his game was straight trash: 4 TD passes, 12 INT, 5 fumbles lost.   Because even alleged turnover machines like Romo and Cutler produce twice as many positive plays; which Warner didn’t do during that messy middle of his career.

You seem to have somehow misremembered Warner as having Brees’ basic career. Nope. Three years of all-time greatness, four years of journeyman shittyness with a busted hand then lack of confidence; then three years of elite play punctuated by an almost Super Bowl Championship run.

Honestly the situations couldn’t be any more different; the Rams told a two-time league MVP to “hit the bricks, pal; you’re the shits!” While the  Bears are paying a guy whose teams have never really won anything because they fully believe his best days are still ahead of him.

The other major point you seem to be going for is how sorry the Rams were for parting ways with Warner which doesn’t really make a lick of sense because to reiterate he flat-out sucked for almost three seasons after they released  him.

And they replaced Warner with Bulger who was at least as solid a starter as Schaub had been for the Texans prior to this season; the Rams were 18-4 with Bulger in ’02 and ’03 including a close playoff loss as the 2nd seed in the ’04 playoffs to the Panthers.  Bulger was actually 36-24 up through ’06 as a starter. Bulger was probably only ever a borderline top ten guy but he certainly wasn’t a chump like Ryan Shitzpatrick who got rich off one good September.

Where the Rams missed was picking the wrong draft to pass on a franchise QB. They should’ve drafted Ryan in ’08. Otherwise they were alright at QB pretty much through the whole period where Warner still stank while his hand healed and then he still had to get his mojo back. 

Really, Cutler (or Stafford for that matter) are different kind of investments than Warner or even  Romo because they’re guys with world class Elway/Favre type rocket launchers for arms which for as injury prone as they have been those arms will last them well into their late 30’s.  Conversely if something is seriously wrong with Romo’s back (and there were whispers that it was a lingering issue for him all season being the cause for overly conservative passing gameplans) that’s trouble for a guy who’s never had great velocity in the first place.

Of course, I mostly believe Cutler and Stafford are just Jeff Georgian idiots but then again if Flacco could get hot for a month so could they.

Apparently the Bucs are considering Gary Kubiak

I understand that these teams have to hire someone, but at what point do people realize that coaches are like QB's and eventually you'd be better off taking your chances with someone new than all of these friggin' retreads that are proven losers?

When fans start trying to talk themselves into guys like Kubiak, Fatso Reid or Leslie Frazier... then the season is already over before it starts.

But Fatso got the Chiefs from #1 draft pick to playoffs

I would hope so, with that cupcake schedule.

They went 9-0 (the most impressive win in that span is probably against the 7-9 Titans) to start.

As soon as they played playoff teams (Denver twice and San Diego) they lost three straight.

Then they beat up on the Redskins and Raiders to get to 11-3.

Then they got taken down by the Colts and Chargers again to finish 11-5.

The only other decent team they beat was the Eagles, but that was during the stretch where they were still trotting out Michael Vick's rotting corpse at QB.

One-and-done.

LOL!

I could be wrong but I didn't think you used the second (II) until there was a third (III) and the reason you see more 'Jr' then 'II' is cause when the Jr get a chance to name a son they don't name them after themselves cause of all the crap they had to go threw as a kid.

If a guy is So and So II, it's usually because he was named for his grandfather.  His father would not be named the same thing, and because of the skipped generation, the grandson is tagged with the II suffix.  It's rare to see II being used for sons directly named for their fathers.

oh, good to know. . .

Todd Bowles will interview with the Vikings on Monday.

It really will be a crime if he doesn't get one of these jobs.

Especially if terrible retreads get hired instead