DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News (RIP D&R's thread)

Elsalvajeloco

Did anyone watch the Sturm/Soliman fight? If so worth watching? Have a little interest as an Aussie

Saw bits and pieces. Soliman was just outboxing him round after round from what I saw.

I am but I watch most things boxing. It's weird because they are two of my favorite fighters from the last ten years. Yet, I feel very indifferent towards the fight with only two days to go. Maybe because both guys are years away from their prime. 

Yeah if the fight had happened like 2-4 years ago I would be much more hyped for it, but especially on the tail end of their last performances I just don't think it will be what I could have been. I do think it could go either way though which makes it exciting. 

ConstantSpeedyDuckbillplatypus.gif

First time we've ordered a boxing PPV. Fancied a stoppage in Froch vs. Groves II for a while, not a KTFO one. Brutal.

That gif reminds me of the Richard Pryor bit about the punch he got KO'd with when he was boxing. "It started down in Georgia... picked up speed in Alabama..."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gamboa/Crawford was a great fight. Anyone else catch it? Crawford made some incredible adjustments (going southpaw and really narrowing in on Gamboa's timing) that allowed him to take over after the fourth or fifth round. Gamboa just didn't seem to have much of a game plan beyond using his speed and trying to catch Crawford with a right hook. 

Great fight. Tons of knockdowns, both guys getting hurt multiple times, both guys showing great heart. Just awesome back and forth stuff. Definitely a FOTY candidate. And a really nice surprise from a fight I expected to be a snooze fest. 

Gamboa/Crawford was a great fight. Anyone else catch it? Crawford made some incredible adjustments (going southpaw and really narrowing in on Gamboa's timing) that allowed him to take over after the fourth or fifth round. Gamboa just didn't seem to have much of a game plan beyond using his speed and trying to catch Crawford with a right hook. 

Gamboa was too used to firing his combinations in rapid succession and stepping around. He couldn't go in neutral without completely stifling his own offense. For every successful adjustment Gamboa was making, Crawford was able to make one and then negate Gamboa's handspeed. Crawford used Gamboa's own thinking against him. Gamboa COULD get to the target first, but he wasn't hitting his target as much. Thus, Gamboa became a defensive liability.