DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 2/26 - 3/3/2024 - Saving Private McIntyre

Dolfan in NYC

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I don’t like Cody, but I do believe he sees this as the family business, and he’s proud to try and follow in his fathers footsteps even if he will never be the star that Dusty was, WWE PR machine or not. 

I see him as part of the problem of people that discuss wrestling in terms or stories and narrative and that other stuff. That makes see Cory more as “failed actor/entertainer” Cody and less wrestler Cody. I think that mentality has hurt the businesss almost as much as “hot moves” becoming the dominant style of in ring style. 

I get a little defensive when folks categorize anyone as a "failed actor".  As though they shouldn't want to keep making the art they want to see because Hollywood didn't want them. I see it a lot in my work and I think it's crappy.

I'm not saying you or anyone have to love Cody Rhodes. He's corny as fuuuuuck. I can see that. But there are thousands of actors who wish they could be a "failed actor" like Cody Rhodes is right now.

• Like 1

“Unfulfilled actor” maybe? I’ve always been under the impression Cody would have preferred to have his career be “actor” than “pro wrestler” and he really only embraced the wrestling business after his attempts to “make it in Hollywood” did not pan out. 

obviously, his promo style and other projects like that TV show show he still has being in show biz as a goal, but he’s now used his wrestling success to help facilitate it.

I rewatched the Rock's promo and I really don't like the over reliance on jokes about crack and meth. Maybe I'm just being sensitive but things like that don't strike me as cool. I know where I'm at in recovery and don't watch things that could trigger me because I'm relatively fresh off stuff. I donno, really not a big deal in the long run but I wasn't a fan. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

“Unfulfilled actor” maybe? I’ve always been under the impression Cody would have preferred to have his career be “actor” than “pro wrestler” and he really only embraced the wrestling business after his attempts to “make it in Hollywood” did not pan out. 

Yeah, and Rock and Roman are failed football players, Cena might have been a failed bodybuilder, Hulk was a failed bassist for Metallica, I don't think this really matters all that much 🙂

5 hours ago, username said:

Yeah, and Rock and Roman are failed football players, Cena might have been a failed bodybuilder, Hulk was a failed bassist for Metallica, I don't think this really matters all that much 🙂

So what you are saying is he made it elsewhere... and nothing else matters? 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I rewatched the Rock's promo and I really don't like the over reliance on jokes about crack and meth. Maybe I'm just being sensitive but things like that don't strike me as cool. I know where I'm at in recovery and don't watch things that could trigger me because I'm relatively fresh off stuff. I donno, really not a big deal in the long run but I wasn't a fan. 

Yeah, it was in poor taste. Problem is, there wasn't really a way for The Rock to be a heel since he would get cheered anyway. So the old standby of making fun of the town/the people in the town was used. What really got people booing was The Rock saying he's on the TKO board and for Seth Rollins to be careful otherwise 'he'll take the title from him and give it to someone else.' The Rock as Vince McMahon (in terms of the evil corporation, not the weird/gross/sexual shit) would get people to hate him.

The Rock saying he runs the WWE, not HHH, really got him booed. He should lean more into that than below the belt comments about the town they're in this week.

• Like 1

God, there are so many reasons why I hate this angle (the "Rock is the boss" part of it anyway). I'll keep it short and go with:

1. If they can just change the winners, there's no point in the conflict. Why remind us of that fact? "You know this doesn't really mean anything, buy our shit anyway"?  

2. It's already been done to death by someone everyone hates now and will be reminded of whenever they do it. 

3. "Fighting the man" doesn't play when these assholes can't even get together to unionize. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

3. "Fighting the man" doesn't play when these assholes can't even get together to unionize. 

I mean, they weren't close to unionizing in the late 90s and it worked then. And again with Danielson 10 years ago. People don't like their own bosses, I think that's enough to make it work

Yeah I know. This isn't about "will it work" because it is gonna work just fine, anything with Rocky is gonna work. That was just a post about why I don't like it. There are a bunch more reasons. 

So, let's not get into an argument thing over that post (this is directed toward everyone), I just wanted to say I think it sucks and here are a couple reasons why.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

God, there are so many reasons why I hate this angle (the "Rock is the boss" part of it anyway). I'll keep it short and go with:

1. If they can just change the winners, there's no point in the conflict. Why remind us of that fact? "You know this doesn't really mean anything, buy our shit anyway"?  

2. It's already been done to death by someone everyone hates now and will be reminded of whenever they do it. 

I whole-heartedly agree, but... nonetheless thought the Rock promo was as thrilling a quarter hour as I've seen. Whenever I skim WWETV I consistently ffwd Roman Reigns lengthy entrances/terrible CGI/catchphrases/ACTING/promos/etc. but here the Great One made a drippy Bloodline segment post-Zayn not only watchable, but fun even. Rock was a bit clumsy on some lines and used the term 'Punks' when there's a definitive Punk in the company, but it felt McMahon-free, and I loved it. Like everything I've seen of the Rock's heel return. Incredible! Incredible! 

Edited by HarryArchieGus